"Diagram Check on Aisle 5" Aux. Driving Lights Selected Power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
Man, I've found several good threads on 'mud and have read them over several times but don't think I've yet found one describing what I want to do.

I don't want to run a Slee harness so I'm looking to solve this problem with the factory wiring. Goals: I want to tie my off road lights (Baja Design LP9s) to my high beam stalk during certain driving conditions where it'd be nice to have the aux. light output with the flick of the high beam stalk. But, I also want to be able to flip a dash switch to over-ride/kill the offroad lights from activating when the the high beams are flipped on (for situations where I don't want to risk blinding people; i.e. on winding roads).

I know many others have used a spare rear heater switch (diagrammed below) in conjunction with a relay to get the desired outcome. Given that the headlight circuit is ground switched, I've been mulling over how I might accomplish this. This is what I've come up with so far...

Aux Lights tied to high beams.jpg

Thoughts?

Man, I've found several good threads on 'mud and have read them over several times but don't think I've yet found one describing what I want to do.

I don't want to run a Slee harness so I'm looking to solve this problem with the factory wiring. Goals: I want to tie my off road lights (Baja Design LP9s) to my high beam stalk during certain driving conditions where it'd be nice to have the aux. light output with the flick of the high beam stalk. But, I also want to be able to flip a dash switch to over-ride/kill the offroad lights from activating when the the high beams are flipped on (for situations where I don't want to risk blinding people; i.e. on winding roads).

I know many others have used a spare rear heater switch (diagrammed below) in conjunction with a relay to get the desired outcome. Given that the headlight circuit is ground switched, I've been mulling over how I might accomplish this. This is what I've come up with so far...

View attachment 2967734

Thoughts?
My thought is you're waay overthinking it.

Just put the relay coil in parallel with the high beam. Then add your kill switch in series with the coil.

My thought is you're waay overthinking it.

Just put the relay coil in parallel with the high beam. Then add your kill switch in series with the coil.
... you definitely don't know me. :rofl:

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me a little more about what you mean by "put the relay coil in parallel with the high beam"?

... you definitely don't know me. :rofl:

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me a little more about what you mean by "put the relay coil in parallel with the high beam"?
Sorry, not able to diagram this for you right now, but BOTH high beam wires would go to the relay. One wire to terminal 85, the other wire to #86. ONE of those wires would be interrupted by the kill switch. I was thinking of a simple SPST switch rather than the Toyota one in your diagram.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom