GX470 Power Steering Rack and Pinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The rack and pinion really shouldn't be leaking out of the boots. If it is, it means there is an internal seal that is probably leaking, and you're slowly losing power steering fluid.

I would recommend replacing it at the same time you do your lift, as you'll have all of the front suspension components out of the way, which will make the job much easier. I used a reman Cardone rack from Rock Auto that was around $250, and it made a world of difference in how my GX drove (probably due to my steering rack bushings being shot).
Thanks, I watched a couple videos to see the process of replacing the R&P but it looks beyond my abilities at this point. I'm stressing about doing my own lift installation 😂 There were also a bunch of different parts on Rock Auto related to the R&P and I'm not even sure what needs to be replaced yet so I don't want to over-buy. This project is already well over budget. Expensive hobby, this forum should've come with a warning/disclaimer

Thanks, I watched a couple videos to see the process of replacing the R&P but it looks beyond my abilities at this point. I'm stressing about doing my own lift installation 😂 There were also a bunch of different parts on Rock Auto related to the R&P and I'm not even sure what needs to be replaced yet so I don't want to over-buy. This project is already well over budget. Expensive hobby, this forum should've come with a warning/disclaimer
If you can install the lift, you can tackle the R&P :). It's really not a difficult job, it just takes a while because it's kind of tricky to fish the rack out of the engine/crossmember areas, and the steering shaft can be difficult to remove if your GX is a bit rusty. I have some pictures of my install on my build thread. Regarding the extra parts, you don't really need anything other than the rack itself and some new power steering fluid. You might also want to consider replacing the outer tie rod ends at the same time as the rack, but if not they are really easy to get to and replace at a later date. I did have to replace the high-pressure power steering hose on mine as the fitting on the rack side was seized to the line, so I had to cut the hard line portion of the hose to remove it.

Another option would be to just see how the lift goes and then do the rack later when you're a bit more confident in your skills. If it is leaking you will need to replace it at some time in the future.

If you can install the lift, you can tackle the R&P :). It's really not a difficult job, it just takes a while because it's kind of tricky to fish the rack out of the engine/crossmember areas, and the steering shaft can be difficult to remove if your GX is a bit rusty. I have some pictures of my install on my build thread. Regarding the extra parts, you don't really need anything other than the rack itself and some new power steering fluid. You might also want to consider replacing the outer tie rod ends at the same time as the rack, but if not they are really easy to get to and replace at a later date. I did have to replace the high-pressure power steering hose on mine as the fitting on the rack side was seized to the line, so I had to cut the hard line portion of the hose to remove it.

Another option would be to just see how the lift goes and then do the rack later when you're a bit more confident in your skills. If it is leaking you will need to replace it at some time in the future.
I ordered the Cardone Rack 262621 (26-2621) from RockAuto but a buddy just told me that non-OEM racks will go out in like 5k-10k miles...did I mess up?

The Cardone reman rack is a rebuilt OEM rack. Mine has been fine for the past few months. I put one in my old Subaru and its still going fine 2 years later.

OK thanks, I was getting worried I'd f'd up again!
FYI when i installed the rack i noticed metal shavings in the old fluid. I flushed out all of it and added a Magnefine filter on the return line. Not sure it it was from my old rack or the pump. If the old fluid is full of metal it can quickly ruin the rack or pump, so that may be what kills non-oem racks.

Amazon product ASIN B0787KWZPS

FYI when i installed the rack i noticed metal shavings in the old fluid. I flushed out all of it and added a Magnefine filter on the return line. Not sure it it was from my old rack or the pump. If the old fluid is full of metal it can quickly ruin the rack or pump, so that may be what kills non-oem racks.

Thanks I’ll keep an eye out for that and buy a magnefine filter. I did buy a new return line and reservoir too just to be on the safe side.

Thanks I’ll keep an eye out for that and buy a magnefine filter. I did buy a new return line and reservoir too just to be on the safe side.

Has anyone done a bushing replacement on their steering rack without taking it out of the truck? It doesn't look like there's much room in there and I'm wondering if this is even possible

It's pretty tight up there - see below. Also for a midwestern/eastern GX I am sure the bushings would be pretty hard to get out. FWIW, I replaced my rack at ~150K ish due to bad bushings but found quite a bit of metal shavings in the power steering fluid, despite the rack otherwise working OK. So for the amount of labor it takes to do the bushings (with the rack in or off the GX), IMO you are better off to just put in a new or remain rack just so you don't have to worry about it for a long time.
20220115_172915.jpg

Thanks for the input. I was hoping that I could do it without removing the rack but it sounds like that's not possible. I would just buy a new rack at that point if I have to remove it. Mine isn't leaking but theres a tiny bit of wandering and I'm sure thats due to bushings.

The rack replacement isn't too bad and can be knocked out in less than a day as a DIY. It's just kind of tight up there, but not really very difficult if you go slow and remove everything that needs to be removed. I have some info in my build thread.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping that I could do it without removing the rack but it sounds like that's not possible. I would just buy a new rack at that point if I have to remove it. Mine isn't leaking but theres a tiny bit of wandering and I'm sure thats due to bushings.
the only way is to drive them out from below. You can try, but if they don't all move a little, don't try to move them a lot and take the rack out. If you can't get them out in the truck they become locks that wedge the rack in place and you then have to figure out how to cut them inside the truck.

the only way is to drive them out from below. You can try, but if they don't all move a little, don't try to move them a lot and take the rack out. If you can't get them out in the truck they become locks that wedge the rack in place and you then have to figure out how to cut them inside the truck.
Thanks for the heads up...that would be a nightmare to deal with in the driveway

trying to bump this thread.

I have a leak coming out of inner tie rod boot on driver side. Steering wheel isn't as tight as it was and it feels like theres a little wander on the road above 40mph. Thinking it might be the steering rack and/or tie rods.

Does anyone have any experience with Toyo Steering ? They are not very active on social media as of late and I cant find any online reviews. Was thinking of going with this kit gx470 steering rack with LC tie rods and spindles

Or does someone have a recommendation for something similar? This rig is mildly built now but I plan on building this out quite a bit in the nearish future and would like to do it right the first time.

Thanks in advance

Not saying it's bad, but you could buy a GX460 rack for less than half of just getting the base Toyo one and not have to ream spindles. It just requires the two mounting holes to be drilled out a bit bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom