Wanted 1964 Gas Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone!

I am looking to replace the gas tank on my 1964 FJ40, getting a new one of the same style is preferable, but if other years fit that would be ok too!

Best,

Andrew

Hello everyone!

I am looking to replace the gas tank on my 1964 FJ40, getting a new one of the same style is preferable, but if other years fit that would be ok too!

Best,

Andrew
I have a good one in WI but has had a repair done on the bottom. Other than that, nice.

I have a good one in WI but has had a repair done on the bottom. Other than that, nice.
Yeah I tried to fix mine up, the coating was coming off on it so I tried to recoat it myself, but it didn't take, unfortunately, and a lot of new surface rust formed after the process.

With some tweaks to the standing seams both front and rear,you can fit a ‘69 tank, which is still available new. I probably have a couple of ‘64s on the shelf. But they are almost 60 years old, so it’s a crapshoot. @kunzma got one from me recently that he was able to make work.

Last edited:
Ok, maybe I will give it another shot then! I have a thread here with what I did exactly and debating whether to have a shop do it or just buy another.

With some tweaks to the standing seams both front and rear,you can fit a ‘69 tank, which is still available new. I probably have a couple of ‘64s on the shelf. But they are almost 60 years old, so it’s a crapshoot. @kunzma got one from me recently that he was able to make work.
I wouldn't mind altering a newer tank to fit if it's not too bad. I tried to look for a post on the forum here for that but was not able to find anything.

How much did they charge?
I want to say it was $225 to clean, fix, coat, and bake. It is a little bit more to have them coat the outside also. Coating the outside removes the patina of the tank. If you are going full restoration then you would be painting the tank anyway.

I will probably take it over sometime soon and have them give me a quote on it. I am still debating between that or doing what mark brought up and buying one for a 1969 FJ40 since they seem to be around the same price. Thanks!

I have a tank out of a 65 in good to excellent shape. 150 plus shipping. I can get you pics tomorrow.
pm me with your cell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom