In the market for my first 60 series LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I’m T and brand new to the forum. I’m currently in the market for a 60 series LandCruiser and have two vehicles that have caught my eye. Both are 1983 LC’s but one has the 2H motor and the other has a 3B. I’ve been studying up to see the real difference between the two motors and have noticed pro’s and con’s to both. I have a good amount of experience with LCs, specifically the LC79 trucks, as we use those very often overseas.

My question really is if you could pick between the two, what route would you go engine wise?

The 2H is being listed at $31k on a reputable site and has roughly 208,000 miles on it and the other I found (3B engine) is on fb marketplace listed at $32k asking (negotiable I’m sure) with 180k miles on it. Both in really good shape but wanted to get opinions and advice before I move forward with such a purchase. Thanks for any advice that can be offered.

-T

For me personally, either of those vehicles would have to be in concourse grade, show quality condition for me to pay $30K for them.

I have owned both a 3B and 2H 60 series, both without turbos. Both are great motors. The 2H is smooth running, and will go forever if treated well. The 3B is a bit of a shaker at idle, but will also go the distance. Both are slow. Mileage is similar and decent. Parts are getting harder to find, but they're out there.

The main difference between the two that sways folks one way or the other, is the the 3B will take a turbo better than the 2h. The piston ring lands in the 2H are not strong enough for the pressures of the turbo. That said, many people have put a turbo on a 2H with great success, but I've been told you'll just have to keep the pressure down and an eye on the EGT's. I don't have any first-hand experience with turbos.

If I was buying, I'd be fine with either and let the condition of the rest of the truck decide.

well, let's get this out of the way, welcome aboard this crazy train enroute to the asylum of the toyotally insane :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: (official mud welcome)
the only thing i can tell you about the bj n hj is that bj has 2 less holes than the hj. i very sure if i'm incorrect with that is that i'll get corrected in a hurry :meh:
again, welcome

What are your plans with this truck? If you're going to load those down with offroad stuff and try to go cross country, both those engines may be lacking in the power department. It's not like gas 60 series are exactly overpowered.

Hello all,

I’m T and brand new to the forum. I’m currently in the market for a 60 series LandCruiser and have two vehicles that have caught my eye. Both are 1983 LC’s but one has the 2H motor and the other has a 3B. I’ve been studying up to see the real difference between the two motors and have noticed pro’s and con’s to both. I have a good amount of experience with LCs, specifically the LC79 trucks, as we use those very often overseas.

My question really is if you could pick between the two, what route would you go engine wise?

The 2H is being listed at $31k on a reputable site and has roughly 208,000 miles on it and the other I found (3B engine) is on fb marketplace listed at $32k asking (negotiable I’m sure) with 180k miles on it. Both in really good shape but wanted to get opinions and advice before I move forward with such a purchase. Thanks for any advice that can be offered.

-T
Just saw this 85 FJ60 post about an hour ago on bring a trailer. It's basically stock and VERY low miles (96k)

I'll take that low mileage blank canvas all day over something with included mods that has lots of miles. Also, I'm in no way affiliated but have just recently used AiM inspections (AiM Certify - https://www.aimcertify.com/) on a pre-purchase inspection on a Land Cruiser and they are great and offer a warranty on the vehicle (for the premier inspection) if their engine and transmission fluid analysis come back clean. Admins - let me know if this is a no no but it helped me in making a decision on a vehicle far away before investing in travel, etc.

Impossible to advise without pics of said vehicles. That kind of money can buy a pretty clean FJ60 and a decent DIY 1Hz or HDT/5-speed conversion which as far as engine swaps go is pretty straight forwards

Impossible to advise without pics of said vehicles. That kind of money can buy a pretty clean FJ60 and a decent DIY 1Hz or HDT/5-speed conversion which as far as engine swaps go is pretty straight forwards
That's understandable, these are just the initial pics from the ad on marketplace. I have a buddy who is gonna take it for a test drive and get tons of pics and videos for ne. Here's the link though: Log into Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1510019982714762/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom