GX470 Power Steering Rack and Pinion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace my Rack & Pinion on my GX.
Are there any recommendations on aftermarket Racks or should I just bite the Lexus price bullet?
Any "nice to know" tricks when doing this in my garage?
Many Thanks!

I just called them and they can build one and deliver in 5 days! Thanks for the pointer and for your service (ArBrnSnpr).

Certainly!
I'm a big proponent of CVJ. Great customer service. Every product I've come across from them has been great quality.
Cheers!

Why are the signs that the rack and pinion need replacing?
Rack boots on both sides have holes and evidence of leakage, and I had a mechanic tell me the rack is near end of life. In addition, the steering has a slight wander when braking (Wheels balanced, aligned, and brake rotos/pads replaced). I hope that helps.

I replaced my rack with a reman from Rock Auto, I think it was AC delco. I was deciding between that, a reman from CVJ and a new Toyota rack. Rack is working fine, but the removal/install was one of the worst jobs I have ever done. Lots of back and forth to get that rack out and new one in. A real PITA over 2 days. If I had to do it over I would have farmed it out to a mechanic and I do pretty much all of my own work exclusively. Never again.

I rebuild a Subaru steering rack once. Nothing really special inside. It's pretty low tech. Getting the seal out is the hardest problem I got. Once it's out, it's pretty smooth sailing. The rack got brass backing that control the play. It's spring loaded and you adjust the preload of the spring.

The mounting bushing might need to be replaced too. SuperPro, whiteline and a few other companies sells replacement steering rack bushing.

CVJ or a Toyota 4th gen rack new from OEM are my only go to options for OEM rack replacement.

Need to replace my rack soon. I'm leaning towards CVJ, but I just discovered this in my search:

It's a reman OEM rack sold by a Toyota dealer. Need to get a little more info, but it might be a good deal. Slightly cheaper than CVJ. Has anyone purchased one from here or looked into it?

Need to replace my rack soon. I'm leaning towards CVJ, but I just discovered this in my search:

It's a reman OEM rack sold by a Toyota dealer. Need to get a little more info, but it might be a good deal. Slightly cheaper than CVJ. Has anyone purchased one from here or looked into it?
Looks legit to me (the toyota part). I purchased mine from CVJ and it all worked out great. CVJ also does reman OEM racks. After the core return ($35 shipping), the price point is about a $50 difference. I also drive '06 GX.

Looks legit to me (the toyota part). I purchased mine from CVJ and it all worked out great. CVJ also does reman OEM racks. After the core return ($35 shipping), the price point is about a $50 difference. I also drive '06 GX.
Yeah, the prices are pretty close. CVJ wants a $250 core vs $150 for toyota, and the base price + shipping ends up being $62 more from CVJ to get it to me. Trying to figure out which tie rods the Toyota part comes with, CVJ comes with inners.

Hi, hoping to revive this thread instead of making a new one...I just noticed there's some leaking/wetness around my rack and pinion boot on the driver's side of my 2006 GX470. No drops hitting the driveway, and no leak apparent at all on the passenger side boot. I'm about to install an Ironman nitro gas suspension lift 2.5" front, 2" rear and want to make sure I get this taken care of before I make it worse. Can this be fixed with a $20 boot replacement kit like this one, or does it need the whole rack and pinion replaced?

The rack and pinion really shouldn't be leaking out of the boots. If it is, it means there is an internal seal that is probably leaking, and you're slowly losing power steering fluid.

I would recommend replacing it at the same time you do your lift, as you'll have all of the front suspension components out of the way, which will make the job much easier. I used a reman Cardone rack from Rock Auto that was around $250, and it made a world of difference in how my GX drove (probably due to my steering rack bushings being shot).

The rack and pinion really shouldn't be leaking out of the boots. If it is, it means there is an internal seal that is probably leaking, and you're slowly losing power steering fluid.

I would recommend replacing it at the same time you do your lift, as you'll have all of the front suspension components out of the way, which will make the job much easier. I used a reman Cardone rack from Rock Auto that was around $250, and it made a world of difference in how my GX drove (probably due to my steering rack bushings being shot).
agreed. If you take the boot off on the inner side (it sucks) you can see if it is leaking at the seal vs catching something from above. Use a zip tie to replace the OEM clamp if you do so. This will tell you if it is time to swap the rack out or not. I replaced 3 racks in my 470 until I went to the 200 series rack with the RCLT and was done with it!!

agreed. If you take the boot off on the inner side (it sucks) you can see if it is leaking at the seal vs catching something from above. Use a zip tie to replace the OEM clamp if you do so. This will tell you if it is time to swap the rack out or not. I replaced 3 racks in my 470 until I went to the 200 series rack with the RCLT and was done with it!!
Can you shoot me a URL for that rack? I'm not familiar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom