Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i prefer low end torque , so I guess I would be better with the 30 or build the H1C with a 14cm housing .. that’s all later in the future or course. Would like to get used to stock power first..
If you like the low end you will want to go with a HX30 or super hx30. The HX35 has a 12cm housing (split scroll) and even the hy35 had a 9cm (non split scroll) but just too laggy. A 14cm would be horrible no matter what compressor it has. Especially at altitude like ours.

If you like the low end you will want to go with a HX30 or super hx30. The HX35 has a 12cm housing (split scroll) and even the hy35 had a 9cm (non split scroll) but just too laggy. A 14cm would be horrible no matter what compressor it has. Especially at altitude like ours.
Hx35s come in 8 10 12 and 14cm housings from the factory. I have a twin scroll 8cm hx35 in my garage right now.

This is why ya leave the diesel engines to the big boy American trucks, you can drive like a teenager and the stuff wont break still, atleast in my 7.3l. Little Japanese pickups are best left with low torque gassers in them. :)
I drive like a teenager and have yet to break things

Awesome thanks for the info!
I am buying the 4bt 80 to use for wheeling and road trips, the simplicity , mileage and reliability is what applies to me , I’m just worried it will be uncomfortable to drive long distance, my first gen Cummins is a bit tiring sometimes but like you said when you compare it to a newer vehicle , of course the new one is more comfortable.. but what fun is that? Main concerns for me is long distance camping / mountain biking trips and reliability as far as torque on the drivetrain, especially since I intend on bigger injectors . Hx35, higher rpm gov spring etc etc .
HX35 will only work on a 4BT if you compound it with an HX30.

Best single turbos are HX30 super and HE221.

Some states have allowed a diesel transplant to be re-registered as a diesel vehicle. The only rule I have come into contact with are that the engine has to be from the same classification vehicle.

For example, you can't put a 6bt into an FJ80 because the 6bt was only offered in heavy duty 3/4 ton trucks, and the fj80 is a medium duty SUV. You will then have to find a diesel engine that was offered in a medium duty application like the mercedes or 6.2/6.5 half ton GM Diesels.

I only have experience with WA, CO and CA emissions though. I know that in WA they never even bothered looking at the engine. They wanted me to bring them a receipt showing that I filled it up with diesel, and not gas, then that was it. The smog test was easy to pass, I was WAY under the limit.
So, in California, I could take my 1994 pre OBDII 80 Series and drop a 1HDT in and make it a smog legal diesel?

#askingforafriend :rofl:

So, in California, I could take my 1994 pre OBDII 80 Series and drop a 1HDT in and make it a smog legal diesel?

#askingforafriend :rofl:
So in Commiefornia you have to use a same year diesel engine as your vehicle, find a friendly CHP office for your inspections and go there with the 6bt from a 1994 Dodge in your cruiser make sure you have the correct tag on the timing case that shows it is a 1994 Cummins 140 hp rotary VE pump . I know this sounds easy, but my understanding of the CARBA rules this can be done, you just find an understanding CHP inspection

6bt is from a heavier duty class vehicle than the FZJ80. So that won’t work, unless their laws have gotten more lax?

On the vibration/drivability comments that always comes up when a 4bt is mentioned…

I’ve been dreaming of a 4bt powered 80 for a few years. Now that my 80 is about 87% a trail rig these days, I’m closer than ever to pulling the trigger and sitting out one of these 110 degree summers to swap out my old tired 3fe.

I’d really like to take a look at one sometime though and ride around a little to see if the comments really live up to the hype. Even if it is mostly a trail rig I want to at least see just how many of my teeth it may rattle out.

Are there any 4bt 80 owners in Utah/Nevada that would let me take a peek sometime? Or even anywhere west of the rockies near a major airport. I’d happily pay for lunch and your gas.. er… diesel to get there.

On the vibration/drivability comments that always comes up when a 4bt is mentioned…

I’ve been dreaming of a 4bt powered 80 for a few years. Now that my 80 is about 87% a trail rig these days, I’m closer than ever to pulling the trigger and sitting out one of these 110 degree summers to swap out my old tired 3fe.

I’d really like to take a look at one sometime though and ride around a little to see if the comments really live up to the hype. Even if it is mostly a trail rig I want to at least see just how many of my teeth it may rattle out.

Are there any 4bt 80 owners in Utah/Nevada that would let me take a peek sometime? Or even anywhere west of the rockies near a major airport. I’d happily pay for lunch and your gas.. er… diesel to get there.
I really don’t think the vibration is as bad as people say , yes it’s a 4Bt it’s not balanced like 6Bt , but how often are you gonna be sitting at idle anyways besides stop lights. It’s not going to be anywhere as smooth as a gas engine obviously but I’ve yet to drive any old Diesel engine that isn’t somewhat loud.
I would love to do a 4Bt swap in mine .

Different strokes for different folks, but I had a 4BTA in a 94 80 series. Shook the crap outta the truck, broke accessory motor brackets, etc (wasn’t a perfect install, had the wrong tranny, etc. can discuss via PM if needed). Wheeled really well (Rubicon, Moab, etc), cruised on the freeway decent enough, got good mileage, and I would NEVER EVER EVER DO IT AGAIN. YES I AM YELLING, BUT THAT IS JUST SO YOU CAN HEAR ME OVER THE MOTOR NOISE.
Some people dig it, I really like the 6BT platform in trucks, but absolutely no way in hell I’d ever go back to a 4BT in any cruiser. So many better options out there in my opinion. But (butt?) like assholes, we all have our opinions.

Have fun with whatever you end up with and get it out there and explore.

cool,
Seth

Different strokes for different folks, but I had a 4BTA in a 94 80 series. Shook the crap outta the truck, broke accessory motor brackets, etc (wasn’t a perfect install, had the wrong tranny, etc. can discuss via PM if needed). Wheeled really well (Rubicon, Moab, etc), cruised on the freeway decent enough, got good mileage, and I would NEVER EVER EVER DO IT AGAIN. YES I AM YELLING, BUT THAT IS JUST SO YOU CAN HEAR ME OVER THE MOTOR NOISE.
Some people dig it, I really like the 6BT platform in trucks, but absolutely no way in hell I’d ever go back to a 4BT in any cruiser. So many better options out there in my opinion. But (butt?) like assholes, we all have our opinions.

Have fun with whatever you end up with and get it out there and explore.

cool,
Seth
I have not tried the 4BT, but Toyota designed an engine specifically for the 80 series 1HDT/1HDFT. We installed a 1HDFT/H151 3 years ago and put 60K miles on this rig doing long 9K miles expedition trips. IT IS FLAWLESS. Not a single issue. And gets 21-26 mpg. I think the total price considering that the engine bolts in without any frame mods is a wash.

But then again, this is just my humble experience. Each one has it's own. :).. Good luck to all.

--o

IMG_0778.jpg
IMG_5803.JPG
IMG_5291.JPG
IMG_5376.jpg

Did you delete the ABS? If so, you can use the relay of the ABS to run the starter.
View attachment 2341658View attachment 2341659
This is great stuff. I’m studying the book and trying to determine how I can repurpose some of the circuits ( ABS, EFI ) to utilize the Toyota fuse panel. My panel has a place for the CDS fans, so I may use it for a extra circuit. It is a challenge but also a fun project to study the diagrams and trace/depin all unnecessary wiring. I’m planning on typing up to-do list with photos on deleting circuits on the cummins build.

On my build, I’m deleting the fuel shutoff solenoid and adding a shutoff cable. I may run the ignition wire into the efi relay in the panel for my starter.

C323CEC0-C466-46AF-A745-4EAE69CC58B5.jpeg

99EDC7DD-AF10-4C73-B484-1957BCBC9C51.jpeg

Looking for help on intercooler ideas
Currently want to switch from the aftercooler 4BT to an intercooler and would like to do it without messing with the locations if the trans cooler and the radiator. What are you 6BT/4BT guys running.?

Looking for help on intercooler ideas
Currently want to switch from the aftercooler 4BT to an intercooler and would like to do it without messing with the locations if the trans cooler and the radiator. What are you 6BT/4BT guys running.?
I bought this one from summit racing. The dimensions seemed comparable to the intercoolers on other builds.

Intercooler: Mishimoto MMINT-UG - Mishimoto G-Line Intercoolers
Mishimoto MMINT-UG Mishimoto G-Line Intercoolers | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIO-MMINT-UG

This is great stuff. I’m studying the book and trying to determine how I can repurpose some of the circuits ( ABS, EFI ) to utilize the Toyota fuse panel. My panel has a place for the CDS fans, so I may use it for a extra circuit. It is a challenge but also a fun project to study the diagrams and trace/depin all unnecessary wiring. I’m planning on typing up to-do list with photos on deleting circuits on the cummins build.

On my build, I’m deleting the fuel shutoff solenoid and adding a shutoff cable. I may run the ignition wire into the efi relay in the panel for my starter.

View attachment 2960951

View attachment 2960952

I am not sure that relay will turn the starter I am using a ford relay , why are you deleting the shut off solenoid ??

I am not sure that relay will turn the starter I am using a ford relay , why are you deleting the shut off solenoid ??
Thank you for the advise on that relay. I’ve been searching for info on its size and haven’t seen anything yet. The FSS is close to my brake master. I’m just too lazy to make a bracket and reposition it right now. I can always add it back later.

D299DFF1-FBA6-4467-9770-7D1ACF148ABA.jpeg

Thank you for the advise on that relay. I’ve been searching for info on its size and haven’t seen anything yet. The FSS is close to my brake master. I’m just too lazy to make a bracket and reposition it right now. I can always add it back later.

View attachment 2962538

If you went hydro boost you would not have the MC that close and it is fine there

View attachment 2960951

View attachment 2960952
I did this on my truck. Used the ABS circuit for my York and also added fuse terminals. Worked out great. Easiest way for your CDS spot, is a new fuse terminal supplied from the philips head positive post seen in your pick of the panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom