2F Motor Oil Roundup (2 Viewers)

What Motor Oil Do you Use

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh great, another engine oil thread in the 40-series forum. But while looking into this recently it seemed that we actually didn't have a good summary of motor oil tech for our 2F's. A few of us (@77CruiserDog, @rainingagain , @middlecalf , others) recently got into a lot of motor oil tech discussion over in @77CruiserDog's build thread. So I thought it'd be cool to round up some of the info floating around out there.

I kicked it off with a poll, but here's some relevant links to other info.

Links here on MUD:

Which oil are you using? - one of the longer threads examining the different motor oils being used and why

"Scout" the 1977 FJ40 - this links to the first post in @77CruiserDog's build thread where our recent oil conversation started; he kinda started me down this path when he linked to a guy with a blog called 540 RAT.

Which oil would you say is better - an older poll thread; the only one linked in the 40-series FAQ

F Engine Oil - a more recent discussion from 2018 with some solid links and info

The Architect's '77 FJ40 - @GA Architect's build thread is where I first came across using the Valvoline VR-1, the link here points to his specific post including a Blackstone Lab report

Links outside of MUD:

540 RAT Tech Facts, Not Myths - informative yet somewhat off-putting independent oil analysis as mentioned above

Bob Is The Oil Guy - pretty well regarded source, referenced in a lot of forums

SCCoaA What oil brands offer the best... - A link I got from somewhere in my MUD reading

Military Vehicles Forum Engine Oil Mythology - pretty good write-up on the myths of newer vs. older oils

101 by Robert Kirk - Again, a link I got from somewhere in my MUD reading

Blackstone Labs - You get a kit from these folks and they'll do an analysis of your motor oil

Engine Oil Lubricant ASTM Test - standardized tests used in the research of motor oil

Last edited:
Known Oil Filters

OEM Toyota 15600-41010 (the original large diameter filter made in Japan)
NOTE: these are still available. @OGBeno often has them for sale (at least he used to) and you can also order them from @HemiAlex at his storefront which also has tumblers and koozies modeled after the filter.
OEM Toyota 90915-YZZD3 (modern small diameter super-ceding OEM filter)
OEM Toyota 90915-TD004 (large diameter made in Thailand)
OEM Toyota 90915-40002 (international super-ceding OEM filter, large diameter and shorter length)
Napa Gold 1515/Wix 51515
Napa 1773
AZUMI C21101V
JS Asakashi CV-101V
Baldwin Filters B2 (large diameter)
Union Sangyo C-110 (large diameter)
Denso 150-2066 (large diameter)
Donaldson P550008 (large diameter)
Hengst H17w02 (German made, large diameter with removal nut)

A roundup of Oil Filter tech links:

Oil Filter FJ40 - short thread with part numbers and OEM filters

Preferred Oil filter for an F2 - more good input on oil filters

Pretty small oil filter - discussion on the YZZD3 OEM option

JS Asakashi, Bosch, Denso, Toyota, Sakura, OSK oil filters cut open and revealed - Youtube video referenced by @GA Architect in regards to using alternative filters to 15600-41010

FitinPart - site to find OEM and the Azumi and JK Asakashi filters (when in stock)

@ToyotaMatt cut's open a Union C-110 - cool dissection and comparison of filter media

FYI... I'll edit/add to this post as more is learned and added.

Last edited:
Hmmm, i wrote that down somewhere, let me remember...

20220323_180204.jpg

Great thread 👍 :popcorn: 🥃 Shell Rotella 15W-40 diesel engine oil

Hey there Pighead, what amount of ZDDP are you using and what is that massive oil filter?
I just grabbed a little bottle of the ZDDP off the shelf. Forget the brand name.
Is a Donaldson, same size as the Napa i pulled off.

20200621_131707.jpg

20200621_131721.jpg

I just grabbed a little bottle of the ZDDP off the shelf. Forget the brand name.
Is a Donaldson, same size as the Napa i pulled off.

View attachment 2961421

View attachment 2961423
Awesome, that thing is huge! I've been using the Napa/Wix 1515/51515. I remember reading about Donaldson filters (along with Napa and Wix) as being some of the top quality aftermarket filters. I'll give that one a try! What size holesaw do I use to clearance the hood? :rofl::rofl:

Great thread 👍 :popcorn: 🥃 Shell Rotella 15W-40 diesel engine oil

That’s me too.

Question @Honger - Why is 10w-30 not an option? I would think that would be pretty common but maybe not. Also, I'm somewhat surprised at all the 20w-50 votes, I would think that oil would be quite viscous for all but the warmest of regions.

I just added 15W40, 10W30, Diesel Motor Oil, and ZDDP Additive as options. You can vote for more than one item... seemed easier than trying to do multiple polls. I've also made it so that you can change your vote.

Awesome, that thing is huge! I've been using the Napa/Wix 1515/51515. I remember reading about Donaldson filters (along with Napa and Wix) as being some of the top quality aftermarket filters. I'll give that one a try! What size holesaw do I use to clearance the hood? :rofl::rofl:
Actually, the Donaldson looked identical to the Napa, like they were made in the same factory.
No hole saw necessary on a 55, can't guarantee the same for a 40...

And just for completeness, here’s a pic from my 1958-1967 FJ40 Owner’s Manual
845EDAB4-C11C-4378-B23B-CF59EE51AC5B.jpeg

I‘m not very good at following <some> instructions 😂.

While some of this information may have already been on MUD in various places, and some might be easy to search on the interwebs... a big huge high five to @Honger for putting in one spot.

The valuable insights revealed on MUD simply due to the love for these vehicles and the kindness of folks who share their knowlege is astounding.

A long time ago I worked at NAPA, my first real job besides mowing lawns and stuff as a kid. I was just a parts driver but I talked with all of the local independent repair shops in the Redmond Washington area. Possibly 30 shops in all. Many of those shops ordered large quanities of NAPA oil filters because they focused on one type of engine. I never specifically asked why but it was implied without question that it was because they were made by WIX which is a very well known and high quality filter.

Some of those shops were, Cadman Gravel which had hundreds of large trucks and other commercial grade equipment super expensive engines. One was the Lake Washington School District bus barn, which again used hundreds of school buses with similarly expensive engines, Redmond Police/Redmond Fire and countless other shops that worked on all sorts of exotic cars that the folks who worked at Microsoft and Nintendo and so forth owned.

Not sure if this anecdotal info helps but I believe in the WIX oil filters as a solid aftermarket choice partially because of that second hand experience.

Known Oil Filters

OEM Toyota 15600-41010 (the original large diameter filter made in Japan)
NOTE: these are still available. @OGBeno often has them for sale (at least he used to) and you can also order them from @HemiAlex at his storefront which also has tumblers and koozies modeled after the filter.
OEM Toyota 90915-YZZD3 (modern small diameter super-ceding OEM filter)
OEM Toyota 90915-TD004 (large diameter made in Thailand)
OEM Toyota 90915-40002 (international super-ceding OEM filter, large diameter and shorter length)
Napa Gold 1515/Wix 51515
Napa 1773
AZUMI C21101V
JS Asakashi CV-101V
Baldwin Filters B2 (large diameter)
Union Sangyo C-110 (large diameter)
Denso 150-2066 (large diameter)
Donaldson P550008 (large diameter)

A roundup of Oil Filter tech links:

Oil Filter FJ40 - short thread with part numbers and OEM filters

Preferred Oil filter for an F2 - more good input on oil filters

Pretty small oil filter - discussion on the YZZD3 OEM option

JS Asakashi, Bosch, Denso, Toyota, Sakura, OSK oil filters cut open and revealed - Youtube video referenced by @GA Architect in regards to using alternative filters to 15600-41010

FitinPart - site to find OEM and the Azumi and JK Asakashi filters (when in stock)

@ToyotaMatt cut's open a Union C-110 - cool dissection and comparison of filter media

FYI... I'll edit/add to this post as more is learned and added.

I no longer sell any parts but I do have a metric s*** ton of -41010 filters. :flipoff2:

:lol:

I may have an oil filter problem.

All of these are made in Japan.

403CF002-0F1B-4FDA-8761-4A07F3DB3F39.jpeg

E8C57B96-C10B-4FF5-8E1D-510A9E964B07.jpeg

4AF263E9-4570-466C-A1D1-553357ED4A7B.jpeg

93D5C7AC-D01E-4F96-AEAD-4A7194689347.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom