Another Noobie - First post and introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 69 FJ40 for almost 40 years now and its time to restore it. It's been parked for some 15 years and has some cancer on it's backside from a lot of years of having a ton fun in the California Sierras back when I was young and never realized just how much mud the darn thing collected as well as where it all hid. I've lurked around here for a while now and found the people, amount of knowledge and resources second to none. So I figured it was time to create and account and say "Hey All!"

Its a father and son project. The plan is to bring it back to showroom floor condition. We've currently got it torn down and have a lot of work to do. From replacing the rear sill, rockers and quarter panels, going thru the engine, tranny and transfer case and probably some upgrades. I figure its going to take a while and about a half a ton of cash to get it to where we want it to be.... Back in the the mountains, better and badder than ever.

FJ40 First Part of the Teardown..jpg

After the first few days of the teardown. Got the doors off the lid off, the sides the rear hatchback door off and roll bar and seats out.

Real steel out of chicago is cheapest place to get body metal from.
Thanks a lot Shipmag! I greatly appreciate the advise. We'll be needing a rear sill, both rockers and both rear quarter panels. The rear sill was solid rust and the rear quarter panels had enough bad cancer on the lower areas and covering the ends of the sill as the previous owner (The guy I got it from almost 40 years ago) had just slathered bondo over the rusted areas without any surface prep. I'm sure that it just kept rusting away all nice and hidden. Then I found that there were nice 3" areas in the center of the rockers that were done the same way.

We'll be definitely honing our body work skills with it!

Thanks a lot Shipmag! I greatly appreciate the advise. We'll be needing a rear sill, both rockers and both rear quarter panels. The rear sill was solid rust and the rear quarter panels had enough bad cancer on the lower areas and covering the ends of the sill as the previous owner (The guy I got it from almost 40 years ago) had just slathered bondo over the rusted areas without any surface prep. I'm sure that it just kept rusting away all nice and hidden. Then I found that there were nice 3" areas in the center of the rockers that were done the same way.

We'll be definitely honing our body work skills with it!
And thank you both Shipmag and FiremanJ92 for the hookup for George! He's only about 35 miles away and we'll be definitely getting with him for parts and advice.

Looks like a great project and you’re starting with a truck you know. Tough to see but the rust doesn’t look that bad. Looks like it has a lot of its original parts so that is going to help if you are going all the way with the restoration.

I’ve had mine in the family since ‘85 and have done some body repairs, sill and rear quarter cancer above the taillights, kept her mechanically sound and driven the ___ out her. Always admire those that dive into the full frame off… and finish it.

Get in touch with Dan@4wheelauto.com for your Awl_TEQ rear sill. Had them in stock last week. Best price and quality around from what I can find.

Get in touch with Dan@4wheelauto.com for your Awl_TEQ rear sill. Had them in stock last week. Best price and quality around from what I can find.

Thanks vfrer!
Nice! those are the best looking sills I've seen yet and they come with the sill cover to. I was wondering if I was going to have to attempt to fabricate my own and now I know.

I've been working on smaller components since we're waiting to take a 3 hour drive to grab a compressor that will work with our media blaster. Figure we'll do that in a couple weeks. In the meantime things like the glove box door, ashtray and front and rear heaters are in process or completed
Rear Heater Restored.jpg
Rear Heater Restored 2.jpg
Ashtray Restored.jpg
Front Heater restored.jpg

I think they came out pretty decent considering they shape they were in before I started.

Looks great. What color did you use ? I just did mine as well and look pretty much the same

CCAB05BA-76B5-4DD9-9C2E-957FAD6552CC.jpeg

F89A9792-0963-4083-9269-40DFD3F51223.jpeg

Looks great I will
Get some better pics of mine and add to my build thread . I have 3 going on now. Ugg. But makes it kinda easy to do all the same with the 3 The yellow one I need to get the chrome cleaned up.

Fine job on the parts. Appropriate for the year if you dont already have find an 8274 warn and rebuild it
Thanks Lou. Funny you should mention the 8274. Way back in the day I picked one up that was almost new for a steal. At the time I was working for a company that had a nice shop I could do fab work in. So I welded up an awesome mount out of 1/2" steel and it withstood all we put it through. There are ever some cool stories behind it. The mount survived the years well and acquired no rust. The 8274 not so well. Prior to removal I did hook it up directly to a battery and it still worked. I looked it over and figure with a rebuild kit and some tender loving care I can get it back to looking and working perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom