KZJ78 AC system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a leak in the condenser on my KZJ78W. It's part number 88460-60120 and appears to be out of stock at all the places I've ordered parts in the past... Amayama claims to have one, but they frequently claim they have the part I'm looking for and then confess the don't a week after I place an order. I tried Toyodiy hoping to find the part cross referenced to another model, especially a US model, but nothing... everything is a KZJ model and therefore not sold in the US.

Does anyone have enough familiarity with this condenser to know what can be substituted in its place? ideally I could find a condenser from a US model - 4Runner, Tacoma, etc - that has its fittings in the same place and figure out how to fabricate mounts. Worst case is I'd also have to have custom tubing made to re-route the lines to the new fitting locations.

I've got a leak in the condenser on my KZJ78W. It's part number 88460-60120 and appears to be out of stock at all the places I've ordered parts in the past... Amayama claims to have one, but they frequently claim they have the part I'm looking for and then confess the don't a week after I place an order. I tried Toyodiy hoping to find the part cross referenced to another model, especially a US model, but nothing... everything is a KZJ model and therefore not sold in the US.

Does anyone have enough familiarity with this condenser to know what can be substituted in its place? ideally I could find a condenser from a US model - 4Runner, Tacoma, etc - that has its fittings in the same place and figure out how to fabricate mounts. Worst case is I'd also have to have custom tubing made to re-route the lines to the new fitting locations.
Did you ever find an alternate replacement condenser?

I never found a drop in solution. I ended up installing a universal condenser, which mean a couple new hoses needed to be fabricated to connect to the rest of the refrigerant lines. Between the new evaporator, hoses, receiver/dryer, plus recharging the system, it cost me about $1000 and it worked great. I'd shoot a photo of the new condenser and hose layout, but I sold the car awhile back and don't have access to it any longer.

I did find a few used condensers on a Japanese Yahoo auction site that would have saved money on labor and the new hoses, but it didn't make sense to me to replace a leaking condenser with a 25 yr old condenser of unknown quality. This was a more expensive solution, but was more certain to work.

@kgrove Thanks
Do you have any specs for the connections? It looks like we will likely also need to have hoses fabricated.
I'll make a separate post with some highlights of a parts diagram to request what others may know.

1666969304330.png

Does anyone know specifications for the connections highlighted in the diagram above? We will need to have hoses fabricated to replace the condenser with a universal one. Can't find a Toyota replacement.

I didn't buy any of the parts or do any of the fabrication and install, so I don't have any information on the parts or connections used. I would think any condenser that's approximately the same dimensions would work... since you'd be fabricating new hoses, mounting is really your most important concern. I would imagine the fitting types would be the same as any Toyota from that generation. I found a local shop that specialized in fabricating custom AC hoses, and as soon as I talked to them on the phone and they asked me a couple questions about what I wanted, I realized I wasn't capable of attempting the repair myself and I found a specialized shop.

I didn't buy any of the parts or do any of the fabrication and install, so I don't have any information on the parts or connections used. I would think any condenser that's approximately the same dimensions would work... since you'd be fabricating new hoses, mounting is really your most important concern. I would imagine the fitting types would be the same as any Toyota from that generation. I found a local shop that specialized in fabricating custom AC hoses, and as soon as I talked to them on the phone and they asked me a couple questions about what I wanted, I realized I wasn't capable of attempting the repair myself and I found a specialized shop.

the OEM condenser are 21" wide x 16"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom