passenger front wheel will not turn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I haven't moved my FJ40 in a long time. I need to replace the master and slave clutch cylinders. So I jacked the vehicle up to rotate the tires 180 degrees to prevent flat spots. The passenger front tire would not rotate. I thought maybe the hub was set to 4 wheel drive but it wasn't. Has anyone had this problem before. What could it be? Thanks.

What year? Drum or disc brakes? I bought a 82 FJ40 that rear axle was still on. Was sitting on a homemade trailer that came with the deal. When I went to removed the cruiser the rear drum were frozen. Couple of good smacks on the side of the drums and they broke free.

What year? Drum or disc brakes? I bought a 82 FJ40 that rear axle was still on. Was sitting on a homemade trailer that came with the deal. When I went to removed the cruiser the rear drum were frozen. Couple of good smacks on the side of the drums and they broke free.
It's a 79 with drum brakes front and rear. ok, I'll hit it with a hammer to see if it breaks free. Thanks.

It's a 79 with drum brakes front and rear. ok, I'll hit it with a hammer to see if it breaks free. Thanks.

Your Avatar shows a 1/79+ but the 70 series turn signals suggest a South America import that would have drum brake on bother axles.

Is it a big job to replace the drum brakes with a disc system?

I have never done it. Thought about on my 68 but those are a single circuit brake lines that are smaller. On a 79 it depends what you use. Have a correct disc brake axle, booster and master cylinder would be fairly easy.

Depends on your skill. If your mechanically inclined it’s a bit time consuming but not difficult. Front disc can be done easiest if you can find a complete ‘76+ Front axle and swap it. These are not easy to come by. Try classifieds. If this is not an option then source a front disc brake front bits from a mini truck or fj60/62 and swap them in. Lots of info on Mud.

Rears, @Poser has a kit he sells. Again lots of info on Mud about this.

Not sure what booster and master you have which might work with a proportioning valve.

I usually upgrade brake booster and master to an 80 series non ABS components. City Racer sells all this. Good stuff. Including proportioning valve.

It's not killer on the front, but parts are getting hard to find. You would have to go with an aftermarket kit on the rear.

I wonder, being a 79 import, if it already has later model big knuckles and fine spline birfields in it? Maybe all he needs is disc spindles and disc rotor hubs and rotors to make the swap?. Or maybe just hubs and rotors? I think this question was asked in another thread, but there was no answer to the questions.

he'll need the knuckles also as that is where the calipers bolt onto.
he can re-use his arms if the large pattern to match the later large pattern knuckle then he doesn't need to use the bushing for the tie rod taper.

Depends on your skill. If your mechanically inclined it’s a bit time consuming but not difficult. Front disc can be done easiest if you can find a complete ‘76+ Front axle and swap it. These are not easy to come by. Try classifieds. If this is not an option then source a front disc brake front bits from a mini truck or fj60/62 and swap them in. Lots of info on Mud.

Rears, @Poser has a kit he sells. Again lots of info on Mud about this.

Not sure what booster and master you have which might work with a proportioning valve.

I usually upgrade brake booster and master to an 80 series non ABS components. City Racer sells all this. Good stuff. Including proportioning valve.
Thank you for the information.

it's done all the time.

I changed just my fronts to discs (similar SA import). And as @3_puppies says there are some parts that are reusable, but you'll need knuckles on out.

Not a super hard job, but if you've never torn down and rebuilt a cruiser knuckle, you'll want the FSM (search here you can get a .pdf, or you can buy paper reproductions from some places - if you're upgrading to discs, make sure to get a year/model (perhaps 60 series) FSM that will show you how to put the disc stuff back together. An FSM for your specific truck would tell you how to do that stuff, *not* how to change it.

I'd recommend @cruiseroutfit when it comes to stuff like this. No affiliation, but I've been absolutely satisfied by their products and willingness to give technical advice as to what you need to do this job - and there are a ton of others in that realm too - @orangefj45 , @65swb45 , @brian , @bj40green , @lostmarbles, ... tons of others... I shouldn't have started listing people... because now I'm leaving out about 5000 people who have given me advice over the years...

Anyway, search front disc swap and you'll find puh-lenty of info.

HTH,
TDC.-

Would it be crazy to just change the front to disc?
not crazy at all, in fact 99% of the time rear discs arent that much of an improvement anyway.

it's done all the time.

I changed just my fronts to discs (similar SA import). And as @3_puppies says there are some parts that are reusable, but you'll need knuckles on out.

Not a super hard job, but if you've never torn down and rebuilt a cruiser knuckle, you'll want the FSM (search here you can get a .pdf, or you can buy paper reproductions from some places - if you're upgrading to discs, make sure to get a year/model (perhaps 60 series) FSM that will show you how to put the disc stuff back together. An FSM for your specific truck would tell you how to do that stuff, *not* how to change it.

I'd recommend @cruiseroutfit when it comes to stuff like this. No affiliation, but I've been absolutely satisfied by their products and willingness to give technical advice as to what you need to do this job - and there are a ton of others in that realm too - @orangefj45 , @65swb45 , @brian , @bj40green , @lostmarbles, ... tons of others... I shouldn't have started listing people... because now I'm leaving out about 5000 people who have given me advice over the years...

Anyway, search front disc swap and you'll find puh-lenty of info.

HTH,
TDC.-
Thank you for the information. I'll start looking in to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom