DIY Fishing Rod Holders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happy Sunday Funday, Mudders!

Just got back from my first fishing trip of the year at my secret honey hole. Also my first time to the pond with all my fishing gear in the 200. I quickly realized that I need a way to hold my rods more securely in the truck. Have any of y’all built DIY rod holders by chance? Would prefer in cabin but will consider roof top attachments too. Let me hear your ideas!

P.s. if you’re in north Georgia theyre smoking crawdadds. Every bass we caught had bright pink gill plates!

B175E2BD-14ED-411E-9925-ED077EC5A920.jpeg

73309A68-85F0-4E56-B245-C7659757AA61.jpeg

37F0634D-F774-486A-A06C-5197E9DFCD71.jpeg

I mount a small diameter Quick Fist to the side of my Prinsu and use a couple bungees to get it tight to the rail.

Just got back from my first fishing trip of the year at my secret honey hole. Also my first time to the pond with all my fishing gear in the 200. I quickly realized that I need a way to hold my rods more securely in the truck. Have any of y’all built DIY rod holders by chance? Would prefer in cabin but will consider roof top attachments too. Let me hear your ideas!

P.s. if you’re in north Georgia theyre smoking crawdadds. Every bass we caught had bright pink gill plates!

View attachment 2957910

View attachment 2957911

View attachment 2957912
Can I use these pics in my Tinder profile ?

View attachment 2957910

View attachment 2957911

View attachment 2957912

I have in my 4Runner and plan to reproduce this system the LC. It cost me $30 and works flawlessly.
1647962314565.png
1647962339575.png
1647962354979.png
1647962464240.png

Thread: Toyota-4Runner.org - https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/272424-interior-overhead-fishing-rod-holder.html

Nicely done.

Just curious as I very casually fish and you look like you know what you're doing. I see a bunch of new telescoping style rods. Temped to replace several of my poles with these rods as they store in a pouch ~18" long? As you know, managing many long rods can be challenging and you're surely doing that better than most. Would I be giving up a lot going to compact telescoping rods?

Nicely done.

Just curious as I very casually fish and you look like you know what you're doing. I see a bunch of new telescoping style rods. Temped to replace several of my poles with these rods as they store in a pouch ~18" long? As you know, managing many long rods can be challenging and you're surely doing that better than most. Would I be giving up a lot going to compact telescoping rods?

I have no experience with telescoping rods, but have been tempted to pick one up to keep in the back for those spur of the moment unplanned stops. I was looking at a daiwa rod and reel kit a while back to keep in the truck at all times. I never pulled the trigger and I think there may be better/more options by now. There is also the Tenkara style rods that don't have a reel. They are like telescoping sticks with line tied to the end, like a fly rod with no eyes or reel. They look like they could be fun around trout streams and bass ponds.

I should also mention, I've traveled many, many miles with this setup both on and off road. Occasionally over very large bumps, a rod may come loose if the velcro is not secured snugly.

Twist 2 bungee cords together and string them between the Oh, s*** handles. Do this for the second and third row. Cheap. Easy to take in and out.
Of note, I removed my rear seat belts and replaced the upper bolts with eye bolts. Just another attachment point.

Twist 2 bungee cords together and string them between the Oh, s*** handles. Do this for the second and third row. Cheap. Easy to take in and out.
Of note, I removed my rear seat belts and replaced the upper bolts with eye bolts. Just another attachment point.

Been doing this same thing for years. Easy, removable, cheap, K.I.S.S.

Thanks for sharing that hack (meant that in the best way)!

I run a setup similar to @jivewalker with the bungees running across both the middle and rear handles, respectively. I have run only up to 4 rods this way and will try to secure them from moving around too much. You can *kinda* see it in this pic

Additionally, wanted to share my 5 lb bass here in Central TX

QENI7030[1].JPG

IMG_0175[1].JPG

I have two solutions: one for fly fishing, one when I’m fishing walleye tournaments (sorry about the Audi-don’t have a picture of it mounted on my LC.

86E9D738-AD32-4187-8027-EF6348D495D6.JPG

A1F1E206-9F4B-4C39-8CD1-25CB9113209A.jpeg

I travel and fish a bit.

i use these Ocean Masters and they come in a couple models. Had then for years, at least 5+.
I would stay away from the telescoping once they break when you get a real one on.

On a related topic, do you know of any reasonably priced surf casting rods that break down like that? I'm trying to figure out if I should get a couple before an OBX trip in April. I only own small tackle for inland fresh water stuff, from 4wt fly rods up to casting/spinning gear you could catch a lake trout on. I've never owned surf tackle, and the ones I've used from a friend had humongous two piece poles and heavy reels (I'd try to borrow his stuff, but he's going to the Delaware shore the same week). We'll have a very full vehicle with 3 people, an XL RTT eating up the roof space, and all the gear for a week of camping, so space will be at a premium. As an alternative, I suspect we can probably rent gear (?).

@CharlieS They do indeed make travel/multi-piece surf rods but they are all north of $100 so I am not sure what you were planning to spend. I used to do a lot of surf fishing, I live a mere 15 minutes from the Gulf and I can honestly say that I never used or even saw a break-down surf rod as most transport their rods on the roof or bumper down here.

Thank you.

On a related topic, do you know of any reasonably priced surf casting rods that break down like that? I'm trying to figure out if I should get a couple before an OBX trip in April. I only own small tackle for inland fresh water stuff, from 4wt fly rods up to casting/spinning gear you could catch a lake trout on. I've never owned surf tackle, and the ones I've used from a friend had humongous two piece poles and heavy reels (I'd try to borrow his stuff, but he's going to the Delaware shore the same week). We'll have a very full vehicle with 3 people, an XL RTT eating up the roof space, and all the gear for a week of camping, so space will be at a premium. As an alternative, I suspect we can probably rent gear (?).

You can surf fish with a shorter 2 piece heavy 7' without issue at all. You just won't be able to cast as far, which is usually a non-issue since most of the fish are in the near shore trough after where the first wave breaks are. I do it all the time with 7' ugly stick tiger rods. you will need the heavier line, but can get away with a smaller reel if you use braid. Only issue is, you might get spooled if you land something decent. If you look at my pics above, my 2 heavy rods are on the inside rack with 6500 reels on them with 40# braid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom