Buying my first Landcruiser! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn’t realize I forgot to change my location when I retired to SC.
Well it turns out that I didn’t buy my first Landcruiser, at least not yet. The frame/chassis, engine and transmission look like they’d be a great foundation to build on, but it has more issues than the seller disclosed. The rust was far worse than the photos belied. The seller only used angles that hood some of the body’s biggest issues. The brake pedal went most of the way to the floor before it would begin to stop the truck, there was a smell of burnt rubber coming in through the vent when idling, and the right rear wheel/axle made a grinding noise as the steering wheel turned to the right on curves (but was fine on straightaways and left curves).

If I was familiar enough with the 60 series to understand what these could be then I’d be more confident making an offer. But he would only come down to $11,500 and I wasn’t sure that was a good deal or leave me enough with my max budget of $13,000.

Sorry to hear it, there will be others!
Looks Like I’ll end up in a Tacoma for now because I need a daily driver. Hopefully I’ll be debt free within 15 months (except my mortgage) and I can get into a nice one then as a reward. Upstate SC/Western NC have really inflated prices for anything 4WD. Like $2k-$5k over anything four+ hours away.

Looks Like I’ll end up in a Tacoma for now because I need a daily driver. Hopefully I’ll be debt free within 15 months (except my mortgage) and I can get into a nice one then as a reward. Upstate SC/Western NC have really inflated prices for anything 4WD. Like $2k-$5k over anything four+ hours away.

I think you dodged a bullet with that one. I thought it was a done deal….but keep looking and I bet you find something better. Also there are a ton of FJ80’s and even better FZJ80’s on the market these days and they haven’t quite reached the popularity of 60’s so the prices are a bit lower.

Well, in another turn of events, I am fairly certain that I’ll be buying a 2001 100-series. Carfax shows 3 owners, clean title/no accidents reported, and it’s super clean.

Well, in another turn of events, I am fairly certain that I’ll be buying a 2001 100-series. Carfax shows 3 owners, clean title/no accidents reported, and it’s super clean.
They are very nice. Driven it yet?
Probably won’t get many “likes” here though.
You’ve strayed far away from a 60 series now. Come on, man! 😬

They are very nice. Driven it yet?
Probably won’t get many “likes” here though.
You’ve strayed far away from a 60 series now. Come on, man! 😬
Not yet. It’s 2 hours away in the At,Anya area, and my son and his family came in from TN to visit for the weekend. Planning on going this Monday. I’ll keep saving for a 60/62 and maybe in a year or two be able to get it.

Well it turns out that I didn’t buy my first Landcruiser, at least not yet. The frame/chassis, engine and transmission look like they’d be a great foundation to build on, but it has more issues than the seller disclosed. The rust was far worse than the photos belied. The seller only used angles that hood some of the body’s biggest issues. The brake pedal went most of the way to the floor before it would begin to stop the truck, there was a smell of burnt rubber coming in through the vent when idling, and the right rear wheel/axle made a grinding noise as the steering wheel turned to the right on curves (but was fine on straightaways and left curves).

If I was familiar enough with the 60 series to understand what these could be then I’d be more confident making an offer. But he would only come down to $11,500 and I wasn’t sure that was a good deal or leave me enough with my max budget of $13,000.
good on you for giving the vendor a 🖕
keep reading in here n when the next comes along your understanding n confidence should be better. i'd also suggest checking out 'clubhouse' as i think there's lowland cruisers or some such in SC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom