Stupid second battery question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
Without a fridge, and no real plans on adding one anytime soon, plus I have yet to do any significant camping out of the rig. The most is at something like LCDC in a tent close to what ever town the event is in and if I'm doing that is is just me and a buddy or son with cell phones and maybe a laptop to charge. If we are charging something, the truck is running. I carry several battery backs for phones, etc and a Noco jump starter. Electrically, I have added an ARB twin compressor, a warn winch, and plan to add a ham radio and maybe cell phone booster before LCDC this year. I am still using a Toyota lead acid battery which has a lot of life left.

I am not seeing any real reason to go dual battery yet. Thought/comments/advice.

Without a fridge, and no real plans on adding one anytime soon, plus I have yet to do any significant camping out of the rig. The most is at something like LCDC in a tent close to what ever town the event is in and if I'm doing that is is just me and a buddy or son with cell phones and maybe a laptop to charge. If we are charging something, the truck is running. I carry several battery backs for phones, etc and a Noco jump starter. Electrically, I have added an ARB twin compressor, a warn winch, and plan to add a ham radio and maybe cell phone booster before LCDC this year. I am still using a Toyota lead acid battery which has a lot of life left.

I am not seeing any real reason to go dual battery yet. Thought/comments/advice.
I agree, do not see a real reason for a second battery. You could consider a Jackery or something like that for charging or running things around camp.

I wouldn't add the extra complexity in your situation.

Sounds like you have a Noco, which can be used to self jump, help others, and charge mobile devices/tablets. Perfect.

I have a dual battery setup and it's really overkill/a lot of unnecessary complexity. It is great when on extended trips with long periods of sitting with the fridge plugged in, otherwise it is a just a lot of weight, parts & money for no significant benefit.

get a Jackery or rockpals large power station. That’s perfect for your needs. And can even pair it with a small Solar blanket.

If it's not broke don't fix it they say. :hillbilly:

Thanks for this thread as I’d been contemplating which battery to use in my GRJ78.
Can I ask a question about the ARB loom /wiring the switch. I don’t need the locker link, purely for tire inflation so I’d like to not have loads of wires I don’t need. can anyone tell me what I need or a simpler wiring method for a Toyota style dash switch for on/off for tire inflation, Thanks

On the air compressor side of the plug it is purple and black. On the switch side it is red and black. If you want switch illumination that is red/yellow and blue/white (blue/white is illum -)

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 1.04.11 PM.png

Thanks for this thread as I’d been contemplating which battery to use in my GRJ78.
Can I ask a question about the ARB loom /wiring the switch. I don’t need the locker link, purely for tire inflation so I’d like to not have loads of wires I don’t need. can anyone tell me what I need or a simpler wiring method for a Toyota style dash switch for on/off for tire inflation, Thanks
I don't have a diagram or anything handy, but it is easy enough to prune out all of the wires that aren't needed and are unused. I did it for mine a couple of years ago, and it has been working since. You'll want to keep the relay, and the pressure switch that triggers it, and make sure you keep a sufficient fuse inline to the main power wire (I cut the ARB one out and used a bluesea midi fuse, since I have a bank of them and one was available).

Absolutely no reason to add a second battery based on your use case.

I've had dual batteries in my previous truck, and I would not do it again unless I was planning to be on the road (with a fridge and other electrical accessories) for several months in one go.

Even if I was using a fridge for weekend-warrior duties, or occasional two week trips, I would not install a second battery. A portable, lithium unit like the Goal Zero 1000 is what I would spend my money on.

Absolutely no reason to add a second battery based on your use case.

I've had dual batteries in my previous truck, and I would not do it again unless I was planning to be on the road (with a fridge and other electrical accessories) for several months in one go.

Even if I was using a fridge for weekend-warrior duties, or occasional two week trips, I would not install a second battery. A portable, lithium unit like the Goal Zero 1000 is what I would spend my money on.
Thanks for this. So theoretically I can add a fridge powered by the GZ or Jackery which can be charge from the vehicles 12v supply while driving?

Thanks for this. So theoretically I can add a fridge powered by the GZ or Jackery which can be charge from the vehicles 12v supply while driving?
Exactly that, yeah.

I really like the EcoFlow batteries, especially the EcoFlow DELTA mini. It's currently on sale for $749 and it has a flat top for packing things on top and pass-through charging. Best of all, it charges very quickly.

Or less than $20 of wire and terminals, but whatever makes more sense to the person using it.

@kzj70 I say don’t bother with a dual setup.

I had a group 31 AGM in my previous truck. Camped in it probably 50-60 nights, maybe more, while living out west. Never had an issue running my fridge 24/7 in that vehicle. The truck always started, but like you, I had a jump pack as a back-up. Recommend running the Toyota lead acid until it croaks and then looking at an AGM if it would fit your use case.

Does the need for that extra power depend on the fridge?

I ask because I have an old Norcold that I leave running 24-7 in my work truck from April to October. The truck still starts after a 3 or 4-day weekend. Do newer fridges use that much more power?

Mine is actually a freezer and it’ll make ice. I just have it dialed back a bit.

@kzj70 I say don’t bother with a dual setup.

I had a group 31 AGM in my previous truck. Camped in it probably 50-60 nights, maybe more, while living out west. Never had an issue running my fridge 24/7 in that vehicle. The truck always started, but like you, I had a jump pack as a back-up. Recommend running the Toyota lead acid until it croaks and then looking at an AGM if it would fit your use case.
Yeah, that’s the plan. I have a group 31 AGM sitting on a trickle charger waiting for the lead acid battery to die. I should have waited to get the AGM though. I will find out how much the battery degrades over time on the charger. It’s been over a year already and it still shows 99% SOH which is what it was when I bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom