Correct alternator for a 1992 3fe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alternator died on me this morning and I happen to have a spare 90 AMP I had already purchased. The problem is the Mountaineers on the bottom are way too narrow to fit in my mounting bracket on the engine block. Toyota indicates there are two alternators that came on this particular engine. An 80 amp and 90 AMP. The 80 amp has an external fan and regulator and the 90 AMP is internal. As you can see from the attached picture mine has an internal radiator and fan. However, the part that Toyota indicates does not have the correct mounting ears. Anybody have a clue if the 80 amp has the wider mounting ears on the bottom versus a 90 AMP? And if so how did I get one that had internal fan and regulator that has the correct mounting ears. The width difference of the mounting ears is 3 in vs 2 in.

16474529970476552610994602965170.jpg

16474531435591435089862075006219.jpg

There is a thread on this somewhere on this site. You have to basically grind down part of the ear to fit in there.

Yeah, the 90 amp was part of a "cold weather" package that also included a different motor mount. It can be ground to fit, I did this mod but the 90 amp alternator I had failed a few months later and I went back to the 80 amp one.

Alternator died on me this morning and I happen to have a spare 90 AMP I had already purchased. The problem is the Mountaineers on the bottom are way too narrow to fit in my mounting bracket on the engine block. Toyota indicates there are two alternators that came on this particular engine. An 80 amp and 90 AMP. The 80 amp has an external fan and regulator and the 90 AMP is internal. As you can see from the attached picture mine has an internal radiator and fan. However, the part that Toyota indicates does not have the correct mounting ears. Anybody have a clue if the 80 amp has the wider mounting ears on the bottom versus a 90 AMP? And if so how did I get one that had internal fan and regulator that has the correct mounting ears. The width difference of the mounting ears is 3 in vs 2 in.

View attachment 2954044

View attachment 2954048

PM me please

lets talk shop , i have the NipponDenso DROIDS your looking for ............ :D

thanks
matt

Untitled.png

Last edited:

This thread shows how to modify the 90amp if you would like to do so.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom