Bad Seller - Radd Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I hate writing negative reviews of vendors, but I feel I need to share this experience with the community.

I cannot recommend Radd Cruisers and I would advise all Toyota enthusiasts to spend their money elsewhere.

Short version, TLDNR:

• I bought “OEM Toyota” 3.7 diff gears from Radd Cruisers.
  • Radd Cruisers supplied knockoff brand 3.7 gears, not OEM Toyota.
  • I tried to return knockoff gears and Radd Cruisers was uncooperative/unresponsive.
  • Ultimately, I had to seek resolution through PayPal payment protection.

Long Version:

Back in December, I started a thread in the 70 series tech section about the differences between the pre-1990 front axles and the 1990 to 1999 high-pinion front axles. I was looking to swap my front axle to the pre-1990 axle with more common 9.5" diff so that I could run 3.7 diff gears. The 3.7 diff gears for the post-1990 8" high pinion axles are hard-to-find and expensive.

Unsolicited, John at @Radd Cruisers reached out and said that he had the 3.7 diff gears for the 8" high-pinion in stock. He also confirmed that the gears were Genuine Toyota, consistent with the description on his website. And he confirmed that they were 27-spline OEM, not 29-spline aftermarket. Rather than trying to swap axles, I decided to order the 3.7 gears from John at Radd Cruisers.

7x Series Front Axle Tech Question - Early vs Late Style - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/7x-series-front-axle-tech-question-early-vs-late-style.1272324/#post-14300804

7x Series Front Axle Tech Question - Early vs Late Style - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/7x-series-front-axle-tech-question-early-vs-late-style.1272324/page-2#post-14307311

6870-EAB1-B9-E1-4-DB5-B510-BDF6992-DF5-C6.jpg

39-E29040-4-F60-4-F6-E-9-BDB-08-B7-B7-FDCE4-B.jpg

Immediately after receiving the gears from Radd Cruisers, I realized that these were not OEM Toyota gears, but aftermarket.

B94-E8130-38-DA-42-A9-974-C-9-A55-CF317-C6-D.jpg

I received a reply from Radd Cruisers explaining that the gears I received were equivalent to factory Toyota, and a long-winded explanation that conflated the definition of "OEM Toyota" and "aftermarket". And why 29-spline is better than 27-spline.

D2-AF5-F3-D-BF57-4832-B793-BF8-AB66-F659-A.jpg

C549-CB8-A-A0-FC-4-DAC-AD4-D-35549950-EBF5.jpg

30236-DC1-9739-42-E8-A79-B-03-B15-BCAF048.jpg

CB416-DE5-7-C36-423-C-BA63-F38997937484.jpg

Rather than quibble about whether they were "just as good" as Toyota, or what "OEM Toyota" actually means, I just explained that I wanted to return the gears.
A84-F3-DFF-27-B8-4-ED1-90-E2-AB3-F5-E7-A37-CF.jpg

Over a week went by and I never heard from Radd Cruisers, so I just sent them back.
8-C17-AB91-E209-4-AA3-9-D8-C-05-BBB2907-A70.jpg

Radd Cruisers confirmed the receipt of the returned gears, but drug their feet processing the refund.
BD67-F090-0-C4-A-445-A-B2-A0-9-FA1-BE0-E0434.jpg

Another week went by and I still had not received my refund, so I opened a PayPal dispute.

C1-E56-B5-B-7-E7-F-41-DB-BCA1-AC8959-B7-C1-A0.jpg

Even after receiving the returned gears and opening a PayPal dispute, Radd Cruisers still did not issue my refund.

Eventually, PayPal sided with me and refunded my money (less $129 in return shipping). Who knows whether John at Radd Cruisers would have ever processed my refund had I left it up to him.

Ultimately, my criticism of Radd Cruisers is that their website is deliberately misleading about the brand of gears they are supplying. One could argue, "well DriveTech4x4 gears are just as good as Genuine Toyota OEM," or that "DriveTech4x4 actually is Genuine Toyota OEM," but that all needs to be disclosed up front, not after the sale. Furthermore, once the customer decides they want to return the item (for whatever reason), it should not be so difficult to do so.

The bottom line is, take your money to another vendor who is more candid about the products they are supplying. And with a more accommodating return policy if, for some reason, you should need to return an item.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that you do not understand what OEM and Toyota and Made in Japan means.

The information on my eCom site is accurate and clear: all of the part numbers, supplier's brand etc. was on your invoice just as it is on the product page.

I've been at the Land Cruiser game for some 32 years and it's very, very uncommon to find a buyer who "just doesn't get it" even after explaining things to you such as the meaning of OEM in detail and responding to you with information from PRIVATE emails from suppliers, that you have now posted publicly, while I was out of town visiting family for a week.

My Terms and Conditions are ABUNDANTLY clear on my eCom site, and YOU chose to not follow them or read them or have any regard for what they are. I do not refund outbound shipping or return shipping - especially for reasons like when the person returning the goods chooses one of the most expensive possible return shipping options.

I'm not even sorry about how you feel, you are being an idiot and I'd be offering a stern warning to other vendors who you choose to do business with to NOT do business with you.

~John

Last edited:
I'm sorry that you do not understand what OEM and Toyota and Made in Japan means.
I do understand - You are simply conflating the definition of "Genuine Toyota parts", "OEM parts" and "Aftermarket parts" for your own benefit. Your website lists the ring and pinion gearset as "Toyota PN: 41201-69226". A reasonable consumer might conclude that that means Genuine Toyota, not Motospecs or DriveTech4x4.

The information on my eCom site is accurate and clear: all of the part numbers, supplier's brand etc. was on your invoice just as it is on the product page.
Absolutely not. Nowhere on your eCom description page does it state the words "Motospecs" or "DriveTech4x4". That is neither accurate nor clear.

My invoice? What good does it do me to realize you're supplying knockoff parts after I have already made my purchase?

I've been at the Land Cruiser game for some 32 years and it's very, very uncommon to find a buyer who "just doesn't get it" even after explaining things to you such as the meaning of OEM in detail and responding to you with information from PRIVATE emails from suppliers, that you have now posted publicly, while I was out of town visiting family for a week.

After 32 years in the Land Cruiser game you still cannot make it clear what product you are actually selling? Am I purchasing Genuine Toyota Parts ring and pinion gearset 41201-69226? Or DriveTech4x4 gearset 087-139098?

Your email from the supplier is worthless anyway (whether it's public or private). I could find no evidence that Motospecs or DriveTech4x4 supplies Toyota with anything. What good does it do to see a Motospecs sales rep write "087-139098 is OEM"? Without context that means nothing. And it certainly does not mean that Motospecs is an Original Equipment Manufacturer to Toyota.

My Terms and Conditions are ABUNDANTLY clear on my eCom site, and YOU chose to not follow them or read them or have any regard for what they are.
Incorrect. I read the terms thoroughly. The Terms and Conditions are not clear, they are long and archaic. Regardless, I followed them anyway.

The very first sentence of the Returns paragraph states: "Radd Cruisers strives to ensure that every customer is 100% satisfied with the items purchased."

I was not 100% satisfied with the item I purchased, so I continued to follow the instructions: (1) Returns must be authorized in advance; and (2) Returns are only permitted with 7 days.

I asked you how to start the return process and you never responded. I was up against your 7 day deadline, so I mailed the return without further interaction from you. If you cannot abide by your own return policy and reply within the 7 day timeline you created, that is your problem.

58-BB9287-C0-BC-4-BDC-9-D54-C69-E00-F73351.jpg

I do not refund outbound shipping or return shipping - especially for reasons like when the person returning the goods chooses one of the most expensive possible return shipping options.
I chose the shipping option that included tracking from USA to Canada and all the way to your doorstep. It happened to be the most expensive. But I wanted to ensure that I had a record that you had received the return because I was anticipating a PayPal dispute.

I did not actually think you would refund the $129 return shipping. I was just trying to provoke you into admitting that you had received the items to further my PayPal case.

I'm not even sorry about how you feel, you are being an idiot and I'd be offering a stern warning to other vendors who you choose to do business with to NOT do business with you.
No need to be sorry. My feelings aren't hurt too bad. PayPal sided with the idiot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom