GX470 Fox 2.0 Lift Gone Wrong (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Welp,
After months of sitting on my brand new parts, I found a buddy who let me use his garage on Sunday as they are closed Sundays. I currently have an '04 GX470 that I've been waiting to lift. There are very few offroad shops in or near Washington D.C. and the two that are close quoted me $2k+ for an install or most wouldn't install with outside parts, so I decided to get a buddy and do it myself.
A little backstory on the parts, I originally purchased an '06 4Runner that I wanted to lift but found out late it was flaking with rust in the upper chassis and would be about $6-8k to fix so I decided to move to the GX platform with no rust and start over. Problem was that I'd already purchased all the lift parts for the 4runner and was out of the return shipping date. Luckily the GX and T4R platforms are very similar and nearly interchangeable.
This brings us to Sunday where I attempted to install:
Fox 2.0 front suspension
SPC Upper Control Arms
Ironman 4x4 airbag delete kit
Old man Emu Heavy-duty Coil springs
Fox 2.0 rear struts
SCS Ray 10 Brushed Bronze
Toyo Open Country A/T

The front was a little difficult as there was still caked-on mud from two Moab trips from 2021 but eventually, we managed to fit and torque everything correctly. I figured the airbag delete kit would cause the most headache but turned out to be the most simple to install.

The issue finally appeared when we went to instal the rear struts. First off, there was only a rubber bushing at the base (pictured), not a metal insert to slide onto the base strut mount. We managed to force the passenger side base strut far enough onto the mount to a point where I could thread the bolt and used an impact to drive the rest of the strut bushing to be 'secure'. This is where disater struck as I drove it too far and stripped the threads of the inner strut mount.... So now the shock was on and the bolt would just spin.
We attempted to do something similar to the other side but the approach angle of the driver side strut mount would not play ball and due to time, I was forced to put the OEM strut back on. the car now sits with three Fox 2.0 shocks, one OEM strut, two SCS Ray 10 wheels with the Toyo Open Country's and two stock Lexus wheels with BF Goodrich wheel.

Please laugh at my expense as I deserve it fully but if anyone has recommendations about what I should do to fix the issue drop a comment as I am SOL right now. I figure I'll have to buy new rear struts but I would prefer not to so if there is a way to fix the bottom bushing situation please let me know.

TL/DR: Used 4Runner lift on GX470, front looks awesome rear looks like I robbed half an offroad store.
IMG_1726.jpeg
IMG_1727.jpeg
IMG_1723.jpeg
IMG_1728.jpeg
IMG_1738.PNG

I would reach out to the supplier of the rear shocks and confirm that you received the right ones. The shock should slide right onto the rear lower shock mount with nothing more than a few taps from a rubber mallet. I can't help but wonder if they gave you shocks for a different vehicle somehow, or if they were somehow manufactured wrong and a few thousands of an inch too small. Even if you were able to get them on, they would not be able to rotate very easily on the lower mount, which would cause other issues.

FYI, the 120 platform vehicles (GX470/4th gen T4R) and 150 platform vehicles (GX460/5th gen T4R) have the same rear shock design (save for a minor difference on the top bushing), so your 4th gen T4R shocks should have gone right on your GX470 without issue.

Regarding stripping the mount, as long as you just stripped the few outer threads, I'd just get a new OEM bolt and thread it in. If the entire mount has the threads stripped I'd get a replacement mount from a salvage yard and have a shop weld it on.

I've lifted a few GX's, not sure what a 4Runner looks like underneath... but for the GX there is typically a rubber bushing on the bottom shock mount. The angle of the hole will never line up perpendicular to the strut shaft for a rigid mount like that and you need something that will flex.

Is that lower fitting a ball joint? Does it rotate? Those can be real stiff out of the box. Maybe try seeing if it rotates.

Is that lower fitting a ball joint? Does it rotate? Those can be real stiff out of the box. Maybe try seeing if it rotates.
The piston rotates but the ball joint doesn't. The rubber mallet made sure, I tried for hours. It's the approach angle of the mount, I even put a little grease in the joint to see if we could slam it on there and it won't go past center. I was thinking about using the heat gun to loosen it up a bit but I didn't want to melt the rubber joint.

Did you attach the top of the shock before the bottom? I usually go bottom first, then the top. FWIW, my Ironman FCP shocks have a rubber bushing with a metal insert there, not just a metal bushing.

The piston rotates but the ball joint doesn't. The rubber mallet made sure, I tried for hours. It's the approach angle of the mount, I even put a little grease in the joint to see if we could slam it on there and it won't go past center. I was thinking about using the heat gun to loosen it up a bit but I didn't want to melt the rubber joint.
Right, talking about the lower mount. It should have some movement other than pivoting with the shaft.

Still confused, is the lower joint on the shock rubber or is it all metal?

Did you leave the top loose when trying to get the bottom on?

Right, talking about the lower mount. It should have some movement other than pivoting with the shaft.

Still confused, is the lower joint on the shock rubber or is it all metal?

Did you leave the top loose when trying to get the bottom on?
The lower joint is all rubber. If you see the third picture I posted, you can the that it's all rubber and the approach angle is sharply different from the ball joint. The top was lost and we even tried to get it on without the top in place.

In that case, like Redneckums said, it should go on with a few firm mallet slaps.

Jack the axle up a bit and it would sit at much better angle. At full extension it would tend to do that as the axle droop and move forward.

Once jacked you would need to compress the shock a bit but you would find the angle much more in line.

TL/DR: Used 4Runner lift on GX470, front looks awesome rear looks like I robbed half an offroad store.

You had me laughing on this one "looks like I robbed half an offroad store."

My rear ICON shocks look like this in the bottom...and I hope you can fit yours like Jstawgn said.

1647302845334.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom