Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
Just a tease.... More later

Mavis 1.jpg
Mavis 2.jpg

Those paint colors almost make you want to grab the satin clear coat and go right over it. I guess you could patch the holes, first. Nice looking truck! Lots of potential!

Nice FJ40. Perhaps you could share frame number. I have been searching for a close assembly line friend with my 1969 ?

Nice FJ40. Perhaps you could share frame number. I have been searching for a close assembly line friend with my 1969 ?

I am a 1969 FJ40-68820

IMG_20220310_220005245.jpg

Picked up Mavis in the dark of night after a six hour drive in the middle of a Missouri March snowstorm. Kudos to @61twpw for not just slamming the door on my face and telling me to sit and spin on that miserable night. Instead he really put himself out to make sure the truck was safely loaded and I got on my way. He even threw in some bonus freebies.
IMG_20220311_095412636.jpg

IMG_20220311_100635748.jpg
IMG_20220311_100629890.jpg
IMG_20220311_102026762.jpg

Arrived relatively event free except when the rental truck I was towing with had a momentary full electrical failure, at 60 mph on the interstate, in heavy flurries. I started flipping switches and pushing buttons until electric power returned, except my left rear taillight and trailer running lights, which crapped the bed. I drove to a hotel then and racked out until dawn

Thankfully, helpful motorists decided that flashing and blinding me with high beams would assist me in trying to get off the interstate. I'm thankful for their kind assistance.

While everything more or less arrived safely, there were two minor casualties. Both the gas cap and the cowl vent literally took a flier.
IMG_20220311_102051834.jpg
IMG_20220311_102057425.jpg

Part of my plan involves neighbors not thinking I'm starting a junk car yard. Because of this, I'm going to be installing some parts I will remove later. Putting in the headlights was job 1.
IMG_20220311_104017832.jpg

The bumper is also a temp install.

Next week the kids are up and I'll need my garage space to work on their vehicles, but the week after that, Mavis goes in the garage and things should progress hammer and tongs.

State of the engine:

IMG_20220311_104106945.jpg
IMG_20220311_104113560.jpg

Motor is stuck, so will start on that forthwith.

BTW, found my local machine shop guy has extensive experience with the GM six as well as the F series Toyota engine. Downside is that he is backlog; good side is he has an excellent reputation.

View attachment 2949285

Picked up Mavis in the dark of night after a six hour drive in the middle of a Missouri March snowstorm. Kudos to @61twpw for not just slamming the door on my face and telling me to sit and spin on that miserable night. Instead he really put himself out to make sure the truck was safely loaded and I got on my way. He even threw in some bonus freebies.
View attachment 2949306
View attachment 2949308View attachment 2949307View attachment 2949309

Thankfully, helpful motorists decided that flashing and blinding me with high beams would assist me in trying to get off the interstate. I'm thankful for their kind assistance.

Never under estimate the kindness of others when your driving blind in a snow storm.....:rolleyes:

Nice find and great looking 55!

Look in first pictures, cowl vent off there. I thought it was missing when I got it. Only “loss” was funky gas cap.

Look in first pictures, cowl vent off there. I thought it was missing when I got it. Only “loss” was funky gas cap.
Okay.

I just finally noticed. Still need a cowl vent, then.

I put a post in the Classifieds for the front and rear turn signal assemblies

If anyone wants to hook me up with those and/or the cowl vent, I'd appreciate it. With money.

1647038429809.png

I drove an old Chevy C10 that had a similar color scheme in high school. Donor parts from who knows what didn't, matter the color. It was nicknamed the Picasso truck by my classmates. At the time it was not so funny, looking back, it was fitting.

So, since Toyota still sells both front and rear turn signal assemblies, I'm good.

Too bad the Toyota parts system requires a 17 digit VIN just to look up parts.

Believe it or not, I'm watching Mavis sitting on the driveway being buried in snow. In Tennessee. In March.

Good thing I gave her a good wash before the snow started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom