Did I blow my whole front end hydraulic suspension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y’all!
Lurker and first time poster in need of some help, so thanks in advance!

I purposely went it to a ditch with what looked like a nice little bump and my intention was to test out my new to me 100 series suspension! But instead I leaked out all of my fluid through the front drivers side suspension area(Feel free to roast).
Here is a YouTube video (I made for a mechanic friend that is not familiar with these) link:

if it not worth replacing this line, I’ll definitely need some all new suspension upgrade recommendations!
But if yall can guide me on how to figure out the cheapest way to fix this, that would be the goal!!

I appreciate it!

Well if your lines are rusted and you finally had a failure it’s problem not worth repairing because it may happen again elsewhere. You may be to point to swap to a traditional suspension. How rusty is the truck overall?

Just to be clear the vehicle has AHC correct?

Well if your lines are rusted and you finally had a failure it’s problem not worth repairing because it may happen again elsewhere. You may be to point to swap to a traditional suspension. How rusty is the truck overall?

Just to be clear the vehicle has AHC correct?
Yes it’s AHC. It’s decently rusted but nothing rotted through. Somewhat flakey surface rust in the worst spots. I’m in Texas but just got this from Michigan

would you know what the cheapest/best bang for your buck suspension I can put on would be?

thanks!

Okay, Michigan screwed you as I’m pretty sure they use salt. Without photos or any other info my gut is telling me to ditch the AHC and go with a traditional suspension. You will probably get more informative answers if you can take a few photos under the truck to see how rusty it is. Shoot some photos of the frame and post. You’ll get more solid advice.

Also I have a LX470 and my AHC still works. But if I were in your shoes I’d be looking at Ironman suspension. If you want to keep it stock height then I’d be looking at OEM Land Cruiser torsion bars and shocks.

Okay, Michigan screwed you as I’m pretty sure they use salt. Without photos or any other info my gut is telling me to ditch the AHC and go with a traditional suspension. You will probably get more informative answers if you can take a few photos under the truck to see how rusty it is. Shoot some photos of the frame and post. You’ll get more solid advice.

Also I have a LX470 and my AHC still works. But if I were in your shoes I’d be looking at Ironman suspension. If you want to keep it stock height then I’d be looking at OEM Land Cruiser torsion bars and shocks.
Thanks! Yeah there’s definitely rust but nothing too bad. I’ll have to take some pics tomorrow!
Ok I’ll look into suspension options.

Whether it's "worth" replacing whatever broke (which is unknown at this point) or not depends on a) what actually failed, and b) how much you value the AHC system. I would not go to time or trouble to delete an entire AHC system to replace one component, but that's just me.

I also believe the ride quality of "replacement" suspensions is inferior to the OEM AHC system. Again, just my 2¢.

You might find that, after replacing whatever failed, and bleeding the AHC system, your suspension works again.

Whether it's "worth" replacing whatever broke (which is unknown at this point) or not depends on a) what actually failed, and b) how much you value the AHC system. I would not go to time or trouble to delete an entire AHC system to replace one component, but that's just me.

I also believe the ride quality of "replacement" suspensions is inferior to the OEM AHC system. Again, just my 2¢.

You might find that, after replacing whatever failed, and bleeding the AHC system, your suspension works again.
Interesting.. thanks!

First thing is to inspect all brake lines. If your rig so rust it blew an AHC hard line. Brakes lines aren't far behind.

How's the ride?
Does you AHC still function? (raise and lower vehicle with AHC).

If your hard line protion (metal) to the LF ram (shock) ruptured, just below wet area in video. All fluid to both side of front now gone, or at minimum you've no pressure to hold up front end. Front end would drop. Drop so much you have difficult even getting your hand between top of tire and fender. So I find in curious, your front end has not dropped. Unless you have Land Cruiser or aftermarket Torsion bars.

First thing is to inspect all brake lines. If your rig so rust it blew an AHC hard line. Brakes lines aren't far behind.

How's the ride?
Does you AHC still function? (raise and lower vehicle with AHC).

If your hard line protion (metal) to the LF ram (shock) ruptured, just below wet area in video. All fluid to both side of front now gone, or at minimum you've no pressure to hold up front end. Front end would drop. Drop so much you have difficult even getting your hand between top of tire and fender. So I find in curious, your front end has not dropped. Unless you have Land Cruiser or aftermarket Torsion bars.
OK I’ll inspect. There is no fluid in the AHC tank and the front end is slammed! Interesting cause the back is still up. But no, the AHC signal on the dash is flashing off. I think it knows it’s broken..

Agreed. One line? Replace it. Four lines? ehhhh... Maybe not worth it. all AHC and all brake lines about to bust open? Maybe sell that and move on.
OK I’ll inspect. There is no fluid in the AHC tank and the front end is slammed! Interesting cause the back is still up. But no, the AHC signal on the dash is flashing off. I think it knows it’s broken..
It definitely knows it's broken, haha.

It looks like you broke a hydraulic line. That's a bummer. I haven't replaced those myself, but others have. Some say it's not too bad. Others say it's miserable.

If that's a Michigan vehicle and the rust we see in your video is similar to what's all over the vehicle, prepare yourself to do one of two things, IMO:
1. Inspect and replace all the AHC lines or convert the system. Inspect and replace all brake lines in similar shape. Inspect fuel lines. AC lines, etc.... Probably noticing a theme here...
2. Sell it and buy something not rusted badly. If you live in Texas, it seems silly to deal with all that corrosion. The only cars with that kind of rust are from the "rust belt" regions. Those of us out west have easy access to rust-free vehicles. Don't put yourself through hell on a rusted money pit when you can just cut bait and switch vehicles to something less problem-prone.

If you decide to fix it, or need something, Ive got some spare AHC parts off my LX. no shocks, but some lines, and accumulators/globes. You cover the shipping, and I can shoot them out. Houston here, short ride to Central TX for the parts.

*my truck doesnt have rust, so the lines and things are solid.

AHC Flashing OFF. Yeah that's what I meant by OFF (light is visible). AHC System can be turned off with the SW marked OFF (light comes on) Systems goes into fail safe OFF light comes on. Flashing is fail safe.

Front end "slammed". So you gotten in a bad accident and slammed something.. LOL Just kidding!

Agreed. One line? Replace it. Four lines? ehhhh... Maybe not worth it. all AHC and all brake lines about to bust open? Maybe sell that and move on.

It definitely knows it's broken, haha.

It looks like you broke a hydraulic line. That's a bummer. I haven't replaced those myself, but others have. Some say it's not too bad. Others say it's miserable.

If that's a Michigan vehicle and the rust we see in your video is similar to what's all over the vehicle, prepare yourself to do one of two things, IMO:
1. Inspect and replace all the AHC lines or convert the system. Inspect and replace all brake lines in similar shape. Inspect fuel lines. AC lines, etc.... Probably noticing a theme here...
2. Sell it and buy something not rusted badly. If you live in Texas, it seems silly to deal with all that corrosion. The only cars with that kind of rust are from the "rust belt" regions. Those of us out west have easy access to rust-free vehicles. Don't put yourself through hell on a rusted money pit when you can just cut bait and switch vehicles to something less problem-prone.
Thanks for all the info! What would you do with this scenario in the meantime before selling? I guess I have to see what is going to take to fix it.

If you decide to fix it, or need something, Ive got some spare AHC parts off my LX. no shocks, but some lines, and accumulators/globes. You cover the shipping, and I can shoot them out. Houston here, short ride to Central TX for the parts.

Thank you so much! This might be a good option. I’m up in Georgetown!

Thanks for all the info! What would you do with this scenario in the meantime before selling? I guess I have to see what is going to take to fix it.
I would take a stab at replacing that line with a good used one. Don't forget a new o ring for the upper shock seal.

I would take a stab at replacing that line with a good used one. Don't forget a new o ring for the upper shock seal.
Ok, i added more Fluid and started the car and raised suspension to high and it started working! That is, until it started leaking from that wet looking line in my video lol
I‘ll to find that single line and see what happens!

It turns out, it’s the line in my video that looks wet.. do you have the drivers front line that came out of the suspension to the system? I gotta look up a diagram..

Found a diagram!(ignore the black marker-someone else highlighted this diagram and I couldn’t find the original). This is the front driver side line highlighted. Would you happen to have the highlighted lines and bolts? That would be a lifesaver!! I’ll PM you as well so we don’t have to clutter this thread. Thanks!!

9D42EEFE-3720-4875-8815-C43A1ABF13E1.jpeg

Hey man. Yes, I have that line. Ill have to check the condition/quantity of bolts. My inbox is full, but give me a few and I will clear it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom