2013 GX 460 Premium build- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, here I go- Yesterday, I bought a 2013 460 Premium. I know I wasn't supposed to get a truck with air ride. I know I wasn't supposed to get a Nav model. However, I found a REALLY clean candidate, and it only had 60k miles. I couldn't walk away from a low mileage vehicle for the price. I'm sure I'll end up paying a bit for it, but it's too late to turn back now.
As I look at products and shops to complete a build, it's obviously a bit overwhelming. Wanting stellar products at the lowest possible cost is how I roll.
Am I a seasoned off roader? not since I was young. I have a family now, and I live in Conifer, Colorado. We often enjoy weekend treks where we often find ourselves in sketchy terrain- I definitely want something durable and capable. I had some previous experience with RSG, so I am initially inclined to go with them to do most of the work- I work an awful lot, and hard, so I will defer to a shop for most of the work. I kinda want this to be done as professionally as possible. I will admit that I jumped on Amazon to try and get a Magnaflow for it. I found one! Time will tell whether the vendor was legit. That install should be a breeze and provide me with some instant gratification.
As I mentioned before, I am pretty unfamiliar with the shops in the Denver metro area. I read about Slee in Golden, but I am open to suggestions/horror stories/and also product recommendations as well. The right shop seems like a vital early choice. I would post a picture, but since it's bone stock, seems like a waste of space. It's silver.

First off, welcome to MUD!! :cheers:
And congrats on your new toy.
Second, why are you bemoaning a "Premium" edition? I have the exact same year and trim package. That is what I wanted and looked for it.
My wife and I love it! Including the much better stereo, three climate zones, heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated seats, etc.
We really like the multi climate zones especially when I'm driving with the sun on me or vise-versa.
Don't let the air bag's drag you down, so many Toyota products have them, it's almost second nature for anyone who specializes in off road Toyota's to remove them when adding suspension.
When I first purchased my GX, there really wasn't much aftermarket support, hence getting a 2013 instead of a newer one. At the time there were no aftermarket steel bumpers for 2014's and up so I was stuck with a 2013 or earlier. But no regrets and still loving it! RSG is good. After having some MetalTech sliders, I went with RSG and really like them so far.
Regarding cost, remember you're in a Lexus now, not a Toyota or (hard gulp...) Jeep. Things may cost a wee bit more, but there are also products especially skid panels that work on both the 5th Gen 4R's and our GX's.

Plenty of airbag delete kits out there… Why weren't you supposed to get a model with nav?

I’ve done all my own work on my trucks… except regear and lockers which was done by slee and they are the only ones I trust to work on my trucks.

Welcome! Slee has been around for a long time and well known in the Toyota community. You won't go wrong there. Love my 13GX460. And I think we all would like stellar products for the lowest possible cost. Like r2m mentioned, Lexus parts are a little more expensive but many are the same parts as Toyota parts (mainly from a 5th gen T4R) so do your homework and enjoy it. The best place to start is here:

Have to agree with all the Slee kudos. I've purchased a few things from them for my previous 100 series Landcruiser and the engine compartment air compressor mount for my GX. Good people if they're not too far for you.

First off, welcome to MUD!! :cheers:
And congrats on your new toy.
Second, why are you bemoaning a "Premium" edition? I have the exact same year and trim package. That is what I wanted and looked for it.
My wife and I love it! Including the much better stereo, three climate zones, heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated seats, etc.
We really like the multi climate zones especially when I'm driving with the sun on me or vise-versa.
Don't let the air bag's drag you down, so many Toyota products have them, it's almost second nature for anyone who specializes in off road Toyota's to remove them when adding suspension.
When I first purchased my GX, there really wasn't much aftermarket support, hence getting a 2013 instead of a newer one. At the time there were no aftermarket steel bumpers for 2014's and up so I was stuck with a 2013 or earlier. But no regrets and still loving it! RSG is good. After having some MetalTech sliders, I went with RSG and really like them so far.
Regarding cost, remember you're in a Lexus now, not a Toyota or (hard gulp...) Jeep. Things may cost a wee bit more, but there are also products especially skid panels that work on both the 5th Gen 4R's and our GX's.
I feel better about the purchase now- I had plans to change out the head unit, but i will let it be for the time being.

Plenty of airbag delete kits out there… Why weren't you supposed to get a model with nav?

I’ve done all my own work on my trucks… except regear and lockers which was done by slee and they are the only ones I trust to work on my trucks.
I called Slee yesterday. We talked suspension, and their recommendation was the OME BP51. To be honest, I'm uneducated here. I defer to the guys at Slee. I was told that they could squeeze me in at the end of July- I'll take it, but I will be looking into doing it myself. How much did the regear cost? It didn't take too long driving it to know that a regear was in the cards. Maybe I can have it done along with suspension/wheels/tires.

I feel better about the purchase now- I had plans to change out the head unit, but i will let it be for the time being.
I added the Grom VLine2 which leaves the stock HU and just piggybacks on it to add car play. It definitely has its quirks but it’s better than nothing and much easier than swapping out the entire center console.

I called Slee yesterday. We talked suspension, and their recommendation was the OME BP51. To be honest, I'm uneducated here. I defer to the guys at Slee. I was told that they could squeeze me in at the end of July- I'll take it, but I will be looking into doing it myself. How much did the regear cost? It didn't take too long driving it to know that a regear was in the cards. Maybe I can have it done along with suspension/wheels/tires.
You can call Kyle at Treaty Oak Offroad. He can certainly help with suspension stuff. And what makes you say you need a regear? I’ve got a 2” Dobinson’s lift and 33” MT’s. I added a throttle controller and It has plenty of pep.

I have BP-51s on my tacoma. Great system, but might be overkill depending on your use. They’re pretty much top of the line, and allow for very precise fine tuning of the suspension.

Regear was $5800 parts and labor in fall of 2020. Included front and rear lockers sans air compressor which I had already installed. Be aware that at a minimum the front arb air locker carrier is required for the regear.

Regarding the head unit, we usually listen to Pandora through my phone, but also have Sirius/XM for when we loose cell service out in the sticks.
Speaking of "out in the sticks", another great feature of the factory nav is bread crumbs! We use that ANYTIME we're off the pavement. It does a great job of tracking you, and you don't need cell service!
The mapping is okay, but we always use Google off my phone since it does live and updated arrival times to destinations along with traffic.
The interface is so Windows 3.1 looking, but it's nice to be able to see what songs/artist and album is playing from my phone.
The one last thing is the climate control, being able to set all three zones from the screen is great!

I've got a Magnaflow on mine and love it. (I don't know which specific one because the PO had it installed at a local shop and the ticket just says muffler install) It gives a very throaty V8 rumble at start up and when I'm on the throttle. But it does not have an annoying drone at highway speeds. Took it on a 4 hour trip a couple weeks ago and couldn't really hear it at all once on the road. 👍👍

Report back when you have the magnaflow on… ready to dump this rattly ass mbrp exhaust
I installed the Magnaflow yesterday. Hint: have a Sawz-All nearby to just cut out the old exhaust- It'll save time.
Pretty serious difference. It now sounds much more like a v8. Once i got the old exhaust out, putting the new one on was not difficult, and probably took me 30-45 minutes. I'd consider it money well spent.

Any rattling from the magnaflow? I like the sound of the mbrp, and it looks like it’s be similar, but it rattles like crazy when stopped at a light.

Any rattling from the magnaflow? I like the sound of the mbrp, and it looks like it’s be similar, but it rattles like crazy when stopped at a light.

I did the air system fake with spacers to get my lift needs on the rear . It still works awesome to keep the unit level when I pull my trailer. Good Luck with your new ride. Look up the advantages of installing a multi terrain select over spend money to regear .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom