Sounds like a beehive is in my gearbox while driving in 4H. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well yall, it doesnt even really matter because weve now got a blown head gasket. Unsure if the block is intact or any other details outside of a general blown head gasket. Working on trying to get more details and a 2nd opinion.
Well, shid....

Selling '83 FJ60 Black with 155k on the clock. Needs some work 🤣

But seriously...recommendations? I bought the truck off of here. Seller only had like 5 posts to his account. Lessons learned.
Nobody wants a pre-85 and nobody likes Black Fj60s so I’ll take it off your hands, heck I’ll even give you a couple grand for your troubles.

Selling '83 FJ60 Black with 155k on the clock. Needs some work 🤣

But seriously...recommendations? I bought the truck off of here. Seller only had like 5 posts to his account. Lessons learned.
Changing a head gasket isn't the hardest thing to do. The head is heavy and it's kind of a pain to get it all apart, but it could be done in the driveway or even on a trail if you had to. The question is why did it blow out? You could replace it and maybe it'll be fine for years. But I've also heard plenty of stories of people swapping gaskets without solving the problem only to have a blown gasket a week later. It's probably a good idea to think about having the head rebuilt if you have to go through the trouble of pulling it for the gasket anyway.

But...

Since your transmission/transfer case/and or differentials are making a lot of excessive noise I would want to know more before I suggest throwing money at engine problems. How is the body? Is it rusty? Some trucks are worth fixing up and others are better off as donors for those of us who are crazy enough to sink everything into a 35 year old truck. If the body is in great shape then it might be worth it. If it's been painted black I would be suspect because black is not a factory color for the fj60 in the USA market.

Don't feel bad. My first land cruiser puked transmission fluid all over the driveway as soon as I got it home. It sat there for six months while I tried to figure out what to do. That's when I bought a second one that wouldn't pass emissions! Then my fiance left and I had all the time in the world to tinker with two broke arse trucks... pulled parts off the first one to make the second one work. Been keeping it going ever since. Was it a wise choice? No. But. A man must fix a truck.

Whats wrong with pre-85's?
They beefed up some things after 85. They worked out some bugs and fixed some engineering issues. Not that pre 85 are bad trucks... it's just Toyota thought they could do better and they switched to "better" after 85.

Changing a head gasket isn't the hardest thing to do. The head is heavy and it's kind of a pain to get it all apart, but it could be done in the driveway or even on a trail if you had to. The question is why did it blow out? You could replace it and maybe it'll be fine for years. But I've also heard plenty of stories of people swapping gaskets without solving the problem only to have a blown gasket a week later. It's probably a good idea to think about having the head rebuilt if you have to go through the trouble of pulling it for the gasket anyway.

But...

Since your transmission/transfer case/and or differentials are making a lot of excessive noise I would want to know more before I suggest throwing money at engine problems. How is the body? Is it rusty? Some trucks are worth fixing up and others are better off as donors for those of us who are crazy enough to sink everything into a 35 year old truck. If the body is in great shape then it might be worth it. If it's been painted black I would be suspect because black is not a factory color for the fj60 in the USA market.

Don't feel bad. My first land cruiser puked transmission fluid all over the driveway as soon as I got it home. It sat there for six months while I tried to figure out what to do. That's when I bought a second one that wouldn't pass emissions! Then my fiance left and I had all the time in the world to tinker with two broke arse trucks... pulled parts off the first one to make the second one work. Been keeping it going ever since. Was it a wise choice? No. But. A man must fix a truck.

This is the posting I bought from. I thought the truck looked pretty good in all areas. But I am not a expert by ANY stretch. So is it worth keeping/fixing? Ill have to leave that up to yalls opinion :/

This is the posting I bought from. I thought the truck looked pretty good in all areas. But I am not a expert by ANY stretch. So is it worth keeping/fixing? Ill have to leave that up to yalls opinion :/
He just had the head rebuilt because it blew a head gasket 1,000 miles before he sold it. He claimed the drivetrain was operating flawlessly, but that's not what you're experiencing less than two months after owning it.... Yeah he dumped that truck because it needed a lot of work and he wanted it gone asap. Been there man. Made bad deals plenty of times. You win some, you loose some, but you live to see an other day. Without seeing it in person I'm hesitant to tell you what your next move should be. It could be a total s***show under the black paint. If the head gasket blew out shortly after having the whole head rebuilt then there are bigger issues going on. Maybe this isn't the truck to fix. If you're not mechanically inclined it's going to cost ten times what the truck is worth to have the work done by someone else. If you are mechanically inclined it's only going to cost you 5 times what the truck is worth to fix it up... :rofl:

He just had the head rebuilt because it blew a head gasket 1,000 miles before he sold it. He claimed the drivetrain was operating flawlessly, but that's not what you're experiencing less than two months after owning it.... Yeah he dumped that truck because it needed a lot of work and he wanted it gone asap. Been there man. Made bad deals plenty of times. You win some, you loose some, but you live to see an other day. Without seeing it in person I'm hesitant to tell you what your next move should be. It could be a total s***show under the black paint. If the head gasket blew out shortly after having the whole head rebuilt then there are bigger issues going on. Maybe this isn't the truck to fix. If you're not mechanically inclined it's going to cost ten times what the truck is worth to have the work done by someone else. If you are mechanically inclined it's only going to cost you 5 times what the truck is worth to fix it up... :rofl:
I am mechanically inclined however, I have no time or money for it. Nor do I even have a space to do the work myself. Let alone the tools.

Truly, the issue is; I financed this endeavor. And I cant just dump it on someone else like this dude did to me. Because...I want to go to Heaven some day lol. So I really dont know what to say.

I am mechanically inclined however, I have no time or money for it. Nor do I even have a space to do the work myself. Let alone the tools.

Truly, the issue is; I financed this endeavor. And I cant just dump it on someone else like this dude did to me. Because...I want to go to Heaven some day lol. So I really dont know what to say.
Well, good news is that a lot of this work can be done with bare minimum... things. I replaced the suspension, rebuilt both axles, changed the transmission... desmogged and installed EFI and a whole bunch of other things, but I did it all in a public parking lot while sleeping in the truck with my dog. :cautious: Not really recommended. But I got through it all.

Whats wrong with pre-85's?
It was a joke, folks like 85-up because a 5 speed is a direct swap. Other than that, just inconsequential stuff.

Your hope for heaven is Jesus Christ, not karma, but since you lol’d maybe you knew that.

Did the HG blow from overheat or a bad reseal? What are your symptoms? Damage might be minimal, maybe the head or block didn’t get trued, maybe the head bolts were over stretched, maybe the gasket was on upside down/backward. All may not be lost.

It was a joke, folks like 85-up because a 5 speed is a direct swap. Other than that, just inconsequential stuff.

Your hope for heaven is Jesus Christ, not karma, but since you lol’d maybe you knew that.

Did the HG blow from overheat or a bad reseal? What are your symptoms? Damage might be minimal, maybe the head or block didn’t get trued, maybe the head bolts were over stretched, maybe the gasket was on upside down/backward. All may not be lost.
I am not basing my hopes for Heaven on karma. I am basing them on Jesus Christ and His teachings. I cant lie or deceive someone else and treat them the way I was treated.

And I have no clue as to what caused it. It was billowing white smoke upon start ups for a few days prior to having it taken to the shop. In my ignorance, I thought this was maybe just "carb life" lol. However, now, I have learned billowing white smoke is a indicator of a head gasket issue.

Gotta take it apart to see what's happened. It's tough not knowing who did the head work last.

I have an entire folder of receipts that the seller gave me. So I will take a look here shortly.
Upon review of the receipts, I dont know what to say. Its almost non-factor. Because they are not really substantial enough, to me. I have a receipt from walmart for a battery, but its from 2017 lol. So idk if that is justifiably classified as "new". He also had some work done totally in about 414 bucks. It reads as:
Grind Valves & seats - 12
Surface/flycut head - 1
Asse. cyl head - 1
degrease and clean - 1
magnaflux/dye check -1
vac test valves (bad) - All

There is another, extensive work order receipt, but its from the owner BEFORE my seller. However, its dated from 2014...so it doesnt seem to be a factor at this point. It looks like I might be owner 4 here.

That’s all the head work☝️…. I wonder if he used OEM Toyota parts? I doubt it. For $414 I can’t imagine he replaced everything with real Toyota parts. I also wonder if he actually surfaced the head or if it was just polished? Do you know what shop did the work?

I am not basing my hopes for Heaven on karma. I am basing them on Jesus Christ and His teachings. I cant lie or deceive someone else and treat them the way I was treated.

And I have no clue as to what caused it. It was billowing white smoke upon start ups for a few days prior to having it taken to the shop. In my ignorance, I thought this was maybe just "carb life" lol. However, now, I have learned billowing white smoke is a indicator of a head gasket issue.
You might want to get out of buying 30+ year old vehicles. PO’s tend lie/exaggerate the truth often because they want a sale. If they didn’t need the money and know that have a highly sought after vehicle then less white lies might be told.

That’s all the head work☝️…. I wonder if he used OEM Toyota parts? I doubt it. For $414 I can’t imagine he replaced everything with real Toyota parts. I also wonder if he actually surfaced the head or if it was just polished? Do you know what shop did the work?
Yes I do actually. The receipt tells the name of the shop.

You might want to get out of buying 30+ year old vehicles. PO’s tend lie/exaggerate the truth often because they want a sale. If they didn’t need the money and know that have a highly sought after vehicle then less white lies might be told.
I agree...I was between this and a new vehicle. I have wanted one of these since I was 20 years old...I was in a position to buy one. I took 2 months of deliberation to make up my mind. It is what it is...lesson learned. I have to fix the vehicle to a point where A. it runs (and hopefully find this head gasket blowing up issue) and B. I can sell it in good conscious.

So really, as it stands, my only way to move here, is to actually get it back running. However, if the block is cracked then, I think I would just cash out and take my beating...

I just wonder what the culprit for the head gasket issue is...2 head gaskets in less than 2k miles...The seller did mention that the timing was adjusted for his elevation (Utah) I am down by the Mississippi rivier, so about 550ft. Could the timing have caused this??

I agree...I was between this and a new vehicle. I have wanted one of these since I was 20 years old...I was in a position to buy one. I took 2 months of deliberation to make up my mind. It is what it is...lesson learned. I have to fix the vehicle to a point where A. it runs (and hopefully find this head gasket blowing up issue) and B. I can sell it in good conscious.

So really, as it stands, my only way to move here, is to actually get it back running. However, if the block is cracked then, I think I would just cash out and take my beating...

I just wonder what the culprit for the head gasket issue is...2 head gaskets in less than 2k miles...The seller did mention that the timing was adjusted for his elevation (Utah) I am down by the Mississippi rivier, so about 550ft. Could the timing have caused this??
Could be like Chris said and the deck wasn’t planed. Often between 3 & 4 the head tends to warp and that’s where the gaskets blow. It’s the thinnest point between cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom