l/100km City Commuting (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
My commute is 100% city. My truck is a 5200lb slushbox LJ78 on 35" tires. It takes half my commute for my engine to get to operating temperature. I get 15l/100km consistent average doing 100% commute driving. I used to think that sucked, but today I actually looked at GPS data of my commute. I realize 15l/100km is actually pretty good considering!! So much idling/start/stop and low speed. Distance: 9.1km, Elapsed Time: 31min, Moving Time: 22min. Average Trip Speed: 17.7km/h, Average Moving Speed: 24.2km/h.

Yes, riding my bike would be faster. But have to drop kids off at school on the way.

Commute.jpg

Last edited:
Jesus dude. You really went down the rabbit hole didn't you? :lol:

My commute is almost entirely highway at 90, or back roads at 60kph. So pretty easy idling along in 4th and 5th.

Kindof a best case scenario for mileage on an old diesel I think.

I'm pretty close to 10L per 100k.

I still think in mpg imperial... yeah. I'm old. My worst ever mileage was 26mpg, best was 31. Usually 27-28 which is right around that 10L mark I believe.

My other cruiser goes MONTHS between fillups. :rofl:

Jesus dude. You really went down the rabbit hole didn't you? :lol:

My commute is almost entirely highway at 90, or back roads at 60kph. So pretty easy idling along in 4th and 5th.

Kindof a best case scenario for mileage on an old diesel I think.

I'm pretty close to 10L per 100k.

I still think in mpg imperial... yeah. I'm old. My worst ever mileage was 26mpg, best was 31. Usually 27-28 which is right around that 10L mark I believe.

My other cruiser goes MONTHS between fillups. :rofl:

Haha, yeah, I tend to get over tech on things sometimes.

I can get 10l/100km under nice highway driving conditions with my 32" tires. But it pretty much never happens down here even when I do drive on the highway. Too much traffic, lights etc., and I drive faster when I can. Ends up closer to 12l/100km. Still not bad considering . Gasser would be horrible under these circumstances. IDI is a little less efficient than DI too.

My truck should really have an hour meter to accurately describe the wear put on it, haha. I've only put ~100,000km on it in 10 years daily driving. But if the hours were converted to highway driving, I'd have probably put close to 250,000km on it!!

Haha, yeah mine came from Japan where there's a lot of that idling around, and then PG where some lady flogged the grandmother out of it for 10 years, then let it sit in a field.

So the 160k it allegedly had on it when I bought I've never really believed.

I'll hit 100k in the next year or so I think. Insurance is coming due on my other cruiser. I didn't even crack 2k :crybaby:

Says the premium for renewal is $715. Wasn't any mention of the under 5000km discount, I'll have to ask I guess.

I’m driving the same routes in the 3000 lb car… about 6.9/100km on average. In the 9600 lb diesel 20-21/100km. Or 4700 lb 40 about 21/100km.

Last edited:
I’m driving the same roots in the car… about 6.9/100km on average. In the 9600 lb diesel 20-21/100km. Or 4700 lb 40 about 21/100km.

This sort of commuting is perfect for a Prius or electric. With gas prices, thinking of maybe moving on from wife's v6 sedan to something a bit lighter on the wallet like that. Her car gets 15l/100km in town too. 7l/100km on highway though; and the power is nice there. But with gas going where it is; things are going to start adding up.

This sort of commuting is perfect for a Prius or electric. With gas prices, thinking of maybe moving on from wife's v6 sedan to something a bit lighter on the wallet like that. Her car gets 15l/100km in town too. 7l/100km on highway though; and the power is nice there. But with gas going where it is; things are going to start adding up.
2nd Gen Prius don’t know how to die but are somewhat of a granny car. 3rd Gen have head gasket and EGR issues for at least the first couple years. All seem to be over priced currently.

I've debated getting an econobox so many times. Keep the miles off my cruiser, less fuel...

But then I'd have to insure and repair the damn thing and that eats up most of the savings.

So ****it. Big part of why I spent a few bucks on my 60. Make it a bit more comfortable, because I may as well drive it into the ground.

I've debated getting an econobox so many times. Keep the miles off my cruiser, less fuel...

But then I'd have to insure and repair the damn thing and that eats up most of the savings.

So f***it. Big part of why I spent a few bucks on my 60. Make it a bit more comfortable, because I may as well drive it into the ground.

Thats where I'm at with my truck. Its been extremely reliable as I've rebuilt/replaced pretty much everything the first few years I had it. Currently is as comfy as a pillow to drive (35s+soft springs and bushings).

Wife's car is actually the most reliable low cost car I've ever owned. Just oil changes, brake pads and initial set of tires. Hard to give that up. I'd have to crunch numbers to see if spending money to save money would actually be a net savings.

Thats where I'm at with my truck. Its been extremely reliable as I've rebuilt/replaced pretty much everything the first few years I had it. Currently is as comfy as a pillow to drive (35s+soft springs and bushings).

Wife's car is actually the most reliable low cost car I've ever owned. Just oil changes, brake pads and initial set of tires. Hard to give that up. I'd have to crunch numbers to see if spending money to save money would actually be a net savings.
Swmbo's CRV is getting kinda long in the tooth, but still have no idea what to replace it with.
Or just fix the annoying s*** and she keeps driving it? It's mostly minor but I do dread having to do the clutch at some point.

With her working from home the past 2 years it's delayed having to make these decisions.

In my wife’s ‘08 car in 120k miles…
Oil changes
Front brake pads at 100k
Tires
Wiper blades
Water pump & thermostat
12v battery
Rear struts
HV battery charger

Yesterday i drove the Tundra down to show Nick. I topped up when I left Ladysmith and
again same station when I rolled back in. Exactly 200km trip, literally got stopped at every f’n red light except that thing south of Mill Bay, 😡, with a stop in Langford, UVic for lunch,
then right down to the Empress for a quick stop and then home. Drove fast, average 105+. Didn’t pay
much attention to the Malahat limit. Burned 28 litres.
Took the RAV4 in to beat the increase, odometer 240 km. It took 28 litres. Coincidence and kinda cool
so 240 km in econobox, 200 km in FS truck same fuel amount. RAV4 is AWD that’s the price for safe winter
driving. But good comparison and makes the Tundra look not bad

Yesterday i drove the Tundra down to show Nick. I topped up when I left Ladysmith and
again same station when I rolled back in. Exactly 200km trip, literally got stopped at every f’n red light except that thing south of Mill Bay, 😡, with a stop in Langford, UVic for lunch,
then right down to the Empress for a quick stop and then home. Drove fast, average 105+. Didn’t pay
Took the RAV4 in to beat the increase, odometer 240 km. It took 28 litres. Coincidence and kinda cool
so 240 km in econobox, 200 km in FS truck same fuel amount. RAV4 is AWD that’s the price for safe winter

14l/100km. That's pretty darn good for a V8 gas with non ideal driving conditions mixed highway/city. Good stuff.

I’m starting to think my 6000 lbs DD with a 6.2 litre L94 ( needs a steady diet of premium @ 2.19 per litre 😬) might not have been the best choice.

The cruiser gets better mileage on diesel (maybe 10-12 litres per 100kms) but I have a feeling that diesel prices will pretty much catch up shortly.

Just can’t tow a trailer with an econo box whip.

Costs what it costs I recon…

Cheers
Crusty

I’m starting to think my 6000 lbs DD with a 6.2 litre L94 ( needs a steady diet of premium @ 2.19 per litre 😬) might not have been the best choice.

The cruiser gets better mileage on diesel (maybe 10-12 litres per 100kms) but I have a feeling that diesel prices will pretty much catch up shortly.

Just can’t tow a trailer with an econo box whip.

Costs what it costs I recon…

Cheers
Crusty
Just think about how much you saved with it sitting in your driveway for 3 years. :rofl:

2 bucks a litre definitely changes the math on whether an econobox is worth it.

I just know if I got one, I wouldn't be happy having two cruisers sitting around not getting driven much.

I'd probably end up selling one or combining the best of the two then duct taping the leftovers together and selling it as a vintage lady driven barn find. :hillbilly:

Ah 2 bucks a liter... I can only dream. I told my girlfriend that it was 2 bucks a liter in canada qnd the high prices where in the news... Now she is debating moving there for the cheap fuel.

Diesel is at 24kr/ L here (approx 3.05 Canadian). Before it went up the other week it was already at 20kr/L

Update to BJ74. Same trip today. No speed limit, averaged 105 making that 13BT work. Since my odo is out
by 12% or so I apple mapped it. 200 km - 19litres. So if I’d driven with any respect to my truck it probably would have been better, but it’s a good indicator with hard climbs up the malahat twice. If I did this to Comox or further it would probably be better. But the cost, at least lucky it’s ONLY 189.9/L here.

Update to BJ74. Same trip today. No speed limit, averaged 105 making that 13BT work. Since my odo is out
by 12% or so I apple mapped it. 200 km - 19litres. So if I’d driven with any respect to my truck it probably would have been better, but it’s a good indicator with hard climbs up the malahat twice. If I did this to Comox or further it would probably be better. But the cost, at least lucky it’s ONLY 189.9/L here.

I'd like to know what other diesel owners get in ultra heavy city traffic (like my plot in the first post). Partly, as maybe I could justify an engine swap if there were gains to be had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom