Locked, Suspension, & ARB Twin Compressor w/out tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi;

I am getting a decent LC200 build and I was wondering peoples thoughts.

Locked:
Is there much benefit of getting it locked while I am working on these other build items? (ie might as well get it done now while your at this as it'll be cheaper and easier sort of thing)
Or is the traction control and crawl control settings adequate that are already on the stock LC200 (2019)?
If I did get it locked, any idea what the costs are?

OME BP51 Alone or Supplement with Air Bags:
Another question I had was I am getting Old Man Emu BP51's.
While I have a roof top tent (160lbs), I will have an ARB Summit bump, sliders, skid plates, and possibly a rear new bumper with spare wheel and hi-lift on it, I will be pulling a trailer also.
The trailer weighs 1550 KG out of factory.
One thing I don't want is when pulling a trailer for it to be sitting low at the back, and up at the front.
We were going to leave it with medium springs.
But a question I have is, should I add air bags to the suspension, and if so, any idea of any negatives (apart from initial cost)?
I will have an onboard compressor anyways.
But wanted peoples thoughts on this, again any idea if this comes with a major cost? (I am having all the suspension work done anyways)

Compressor:
ARB Twin Compressor
I wanted to know, I saw builds where an air tank is kept underneath the LC200. My mechanic shop doesn't think its needed. For me its a buy once cry once situation so if I am missing something I would rather know now what the air tank benefits are, or if your all doing great without them?

Front and rear lockers are a $5-6k project. There is no "while you're in there" unless you are regearing already.

Basic airbags (firestone) are about $100 in parts, plus labor.

A compressor without a tank is fine unless you are running high cfm air tools off it.

Front and rear lockers are a $5-6k project. There is no "while you're in there" unless you are regearing already.

A compressor without a tank is fine unless you are running high cfm air tools off it.
Awesome!
That’s definitely a $5-6k then that

lockers are definitely not a ‘while your in there’ project then at that cost

But the airbags definitely.

Anyone with any feedback pros/cons that have them? Anyone wish they never got them and just kept the OME BP51 as is?

Thanks for the help

If you're going to be off-roading regularly for fun, a rear locker can make it more enjoyable. ATRAC and CRAWL are immensely capable. But they require stopping the fun, engaging the mode, and letting the computer take the reigns. With an aftermarket locker, it can be initiated on the fly. It opens up additional capability that can be engaged at speed in high range. Personal preference, but I would recommend an e-locker. Air lockers have their place probably in more hardcore use. Perhaps trading off some reliability and quiet.

I like supplementing with airbags. Gives you spring rate augmentation when needed for heavy loads. Yet keeps the primary suspension compliant and slinky for maximum performance off-roading. Best of both worlds. If car camping, can also allow for leveling of the rig, both side to side and front to back. A useful tool in and of itself.

I don't see LRA AUX fuel tank on your list there.

Which trailer are you getting?

More important than air bags are select the correct rear springs with your BP51 setup for you plans.

Different year Land Cruisers are different costs on installing lockers. Pre 2016 you can install lockers without replacing gears and 2016 on you need to re-gear to install lockers.

I don't see LRA AUX fuel tank on your list there.

Which trailer are you getting?

More important than air bags are select the correct rear springs with your BP51 setup for you plans.

Different year Land Cruisers are different costs on installing lockers. Pre 2016 you can install lockers without replacing gears and 2016 on you need to re-gear to install lockers.
Yeh I was thinking of possibly adding later a rear bumper with tire to give a larger fuel tank.
But with the storage on the trailer and mounting the tires on that to match the LC200 I’ll essentially have two spares

The extra fuel I was thinking of either keeping up on the roof rack if the tent ain’t up there, or carrying on the trailer, there’s a lot of space for Jerry cans, and that’s my extra fuel right there

Trailer will likely be an Echo Chobe Tec.
The installer suggested mounting medium coils on the OME BP51 to match towing that and my plans

Yeh I was thinking of possibly adding later a rear bumper with tire to give a larger fuel tank.
But with the storage on the trailer and mounting the tires on that to match the LC200 I’ll essentially have two spares

The extra fuel I was thinking of either keeping up on the roof rack if the tent ain’t up there, or carrying on the trailer, there’s a lot of space for Jerry cans, and that’s my extra fuel right there

Trailer will likely be an Echo Chobe Tec.
The installer suggested mounting medium coils on the OME BP51 to match towing that and my plans

I will throw it out there that I had rotopax on the roof and it was a pain. The locking mounts got corroded and seized within 6 months and I had fuel stuck to my roof that needed to be vented —that was a bad day. I’m looking forward to using standard jerry cans held on a rear swing out instead.

I ran a small 1.5gal air tank with the Arb Twin for a couple years. It came off when I put in the sub fuel tank. I don't miss it.
I do recommend a four tire air kit, either purchased or home made. Definitely worth it.

This youtube on lockers vs no lockers..

What year and model vehicle is this? I saw ARB has one all built out for their south American tours.

@Fisher23 - he says it is a Toyota Bundera with a 3.8 ecotech I guess that would make it a RJ70 Bundera.

Quick google search shows he has a 1988 3.8L Ecotec Converted Toyota Bundera.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom