Builds Land Crusher Build Thread - V2 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bumper installed:
1645231364967.png

Diode Dynamics SS3's with amber back light are here, need to decide how to do the electrical distribution and then these will be installed:
1645231305750.png

1645231335600.png

Also managed to get the Diode Dynamics SL1's installed in the low beams. I had these on my 100 and they are great, high quality LED replacements that don't blind anyone. The trick is that they approximate a halogen filament (thin) and send the light in a specific pattern (to the sides, you have to orient the LED relative to your housing so that it sends the correct pattern). Much cheaper than a full projector retrofit and much simpler. I ordered 9006's for the low beams, left the high beams alone.

These are not listed as fitting for the FZJ80 on the DD website, but there is a trick to making them work:
  • On the back of each headlight housing is an adapter plate with three small Philips head screws, pull these out (note orientation, they only go in one way but it's easier if you note it now).
  • There are three humps that interfere with the SL1's body and prevent the tabs from inserting into the headlight housing enough to engage the tabs. With a razor blade, or sand paper on a flat surface, you want to remove some material. Don't go crazy as you need a little bit to help retain the bulb. I took them down about half way. Attempt to fit the removed rings onto the bulbs and it will all make sense, see pictures below:
Ring on headlight showing why they wont fit without modification. Note that the screw seems to be far enough away to allow the body to flex and be installed:
1645231570838.png

The three humps make the tabs on the bulb run right into the ring, preventing the tabls from riding up the ramp.
1645231635993.png

Ring with material removed:
1645231472552.png

Lights stacked, SL1 below in black (look close). More space on the normal halogen bulbs:
1645231684093.png

• Orient the bulbs so the LED's face as horizontal as possible (there are instructions on how to do this from DD), I use some dielectric grease inside the connectors and on the red orings to help install. Tip, it's best to have the back of the bulb face down (fan facing down, so that it wont collect water). Zip tie the ballast on each side as you see fit.
  • DONE :) enjoy your headlights.

pretty decent cutoff considering 90's lenses and focusing.
View attachment 2929955View attachment 2929953
View attachment 2929954
Ok, have you run the ubiquitous Wagner 9006 in your low beams before? Comparison?

I like the idea here, but getting flashed by angry semis and blinding other drivers makes me leery. I’m not familiar with the 100 series lamp housing adjustments but as you say our’s are pretty simple. Is the output a massive gain or more moderate?

Ok, have you run the ubiquitous Wagner 9006 in your low beams before? Comparison?

I like the idea here, but getting flashed by angry semis and blinding other drivers makes me leery. I’m not familiar with the 100 series lamp housing adjustments but as you say our’s are pretty simple. Is the output a massive gain or more moderate?
I have not run the Wagner 9006, so I can't give you a comparison, unfortunately.

I did a bunch of night driving on the free way and around town last night and no angry flashers. I was watching where my lights lit up signs and where they sat on the back of cars in front of me. Anecdotal, but, so far so good.

I am going to fiddle with some stuff today, If I get time when it gets dark I will put the original sylvania bulb in one side and get some comparison.

If you can buy these onsale (they do a 15% occasionally).... I would definitely do it:

I have not run the Wagner 9006, so I can't give you a comparison, unfortunately.

I did a bunch of night driving on the free way and around town last night and no angry flashers. I was watching where my lights lit up signs and where they sat on the back of cars in front of me. Anecdotal, but, so far so good.

I am going to fiddle with some stuff today, If I get time when it gets dark I will put the original sylvania bulb in one side and get some comparison.

If you can buy these onsale (they do a 15% occasionally).... I would definitely do it:
Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!
Heck yeah, happy to help.

I have been really happy with the Diode Dynamics stuff, they are super helpful on the phone with questions too

Playing with all sorts of different stuff on the 80 today, bunch of boxes arrived this week :)

Using the Slee 2nd battery tray to mount the VO switch relay block:
1645904938780.png

Had to drill two new holes, picked up two existing at on the top.

This has 8 relays:
1645905097692.png

Cruiser Cult knuckle mounts for the small diode dyanmics SSC1 pods. These lights are too cool and didn't fit where I wanted them, but I think I found a way to use them. Wish these came stainless, I don't like having to paint.
1645905179658.png

I went down the light rabbit hole:
1645905221575.png

Installing the LCP battery hold down today, moving the fusible link to the bulkhead, and also installing Slee billet terminals :)
1645905304528.png

Jumping in to making a wire harness once I get the battery remounted with the new terminals. Plan is to tap into the corner markers to pull power for the amber back lights for all 8 lights (they pull in the mA range, so shouldn't be a problem). They also come with nice DT connectors :)

Hopefully they work, i’m not totally sure I’m sold on the knuckle mounts but….. should have wiring done tomorrow!
Looking forward to seeing them in action.

Wiring is moving along, didn't get it finished but I have most of the harness for the bumper done. Just need to terminate a few of the connections:
1646071550902.png

1646071529473.png

These slee terminals are sweet. Seen here with the LCP battery hold down and fusible link relocation (red 4awg(i think) wire going to the back of the battery box):
1646071479090.png

I am waiting for my hydraulic crimper and fancy terminals to finish up the install for the negative terminal.... and make some new ground straps :)

Wiring is moving along, didn't get it finished but I have most of the harness for the bumper done. Just need to terminate a few of the connections:
View attachment 2939402
View attachment 2939401
These slee terminals are sweet. Seen here with the LCP battery hold down and fusible link relocation (red 4awg(i think) wire going to the back of the battery box):
View attachment 2939400
I am waiting for my hydraulic crimper and fancy terminals to finish up the install for the negative terminal.... and make some new ground straps :)
I'm really excited by your clean wiring. I have been cleaning up the PO's driving light "harness" and installing one branded by Hella, but I would prefer to be making my own. For those of us learning the ropes of harness building, do you have favorite sources for your harness components? What is that mesh loom called? Dealing with the online makes it hard to know what the quality products are and what their names are if you are learning as you go.

Do you know what size tires I can fit under an 80 series?
Before you get flamed with search function schooling...do you mean in the spare location? Do you mean on the rig? With stock suspension? As a modified buggy? These questions may inform you answer, and help you search for it.

Before you get flamed with search function schooling...do you mean in the spare location? Do you mean on the rig? With stock suspension? As a modified buggy? These questions may inform you answer, and help you search for it.

Zach (@Cactusman) is trolling us :) He is a recovering jeep enthusiast, we have to cut him some slack :popcorn:

Last edited:
electrical stuff is coming together. Crimping some big wires for all the ground locations and the starter cable:

I will post all of the lengths one I get them installed and fit up.
1646353990956.png

1646354008515.png

1646354034311.png

electrical stuff is coming together. Crimping some big wires for all the ground locations and the starter cable:

View attachment 2942371
View attachment 2942372
View attachment 2942373

View attachment 2942371
View attachment 2942372
View attachment 2942373
I need to build the main ground to negative terminal wire on my rig. You’re gonna be my coach!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom