Intake Manifold shops in Hampton Roads Va? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FirstFJ60

SGT. Lincoln Osiris
Threads
Does anyone know of any good shops that will resurface a 84 FJ60 Intake manifold at a reasonable price? My idea of reasonable price is around or below $350. Preferably in Virginia Beach, Norfolk or Chesapeake.

Thanks

You'll need to take both the intake and exhaust manifold together and let them machine as one piece so everything is even. If you have them separated you should rebuild the heat riser area....at least new gaskets and check the insulator plate to see if it is cracked. READ the "intake and exhaust" thread in the FAQs section.
here's the link:

Its is a bit of a hike for you but J and D machine shop in Waynesboro did mine in December. It was $175.00 He does it on a table belt sander.

Why do you think you need it machined? Did you separate them? If not, you may get by with a new gasket.

You'll need to take both the intake and exhaust manifold together and let them machine as one piece so everything is even. If you have them separated you should rebuild the heat riser area....at least new gaskets and check the insulator plate to see if it is cracked. READ the "intake and exhaust" thread in the FAQs section.
here's the link:

Its is a bit of a hike for you but J and D machine shop in Waynesboro did mine in December. It was $175.00 He does it on a table belt sander.

Why do you think you need it machined? Did you separate them? If not, you may get by with a new gasket.
Well...I dont know if needs to be machined. I did the test spraying carb cleaner at manifold and rpms increased. I did this because its running rough now (carb as been rebuilt) and it wants to cuff off when I apply brakes. It was running well then about 1 month ago this started. So, I wanted to take the manifolds off and if they werent level... i just wanted to know a shop that have worked on these FJ60s. Im quite familiar with Waynesboro...use to be in my territory with my job. thanks

Could just need a new gasket but if you have it off won't hurt to get it looked at.

Brakes dropping idle could be a leak at the booster

Could just need a new gasket but if you have it off won't hurt to get it looked at.

Brakes dropping idle could be a leak at the booster
I looked at all lines (did soapy water spray test) coming from Booster and nothing was revealed.

All FJ60 manifold assemblies that have never been machined flat before are warped. They’re ALL warped. Even in 1988, 2F manifolds were warping (2 year old car with 42K miles on it).

Before you pull it off, you may want to take more time to try and pinpoint the area of the leak. I mean what if it's the piping that goes into the manifold.. at the rear where the brake booster hose attaches to a pipe and that pipe where it threads into the manifold. Spray some carb cleaner around the area in very small short squirts.

Machine them together and use a Remflex gasket when you put them back on. I usually go higher on the torque spec than Remflex recommends. Sometimes I've had to really crank the manifolds down to get the leaks to go away.

Before you pull it off, you may want to take more time to try and pinpoint the area of the leak. I mean what if it's the piping that goes into the manifold.. at the rear where the brake booster hose attaches to a pipe and that pipe where it threads into the manifold. Spray some carb cleaner around the area in very small short squirts.
I did spray at the back and there was a slight rpm change.but a huge increase in rpms in the front. I can see actually a piece of the manifold gasket sticking out on top about 1/2". Good tip

Machine them together and use a Remflex gasket when you put them back on. I usually go higher on the torque spec than Remflex recommends. Sometimes I've had to really crank the manifolds down to get the leaks to go away.
what are the torque specs...32ft/lbs?

I don't remember exactly, but 32 sounds about right. Remflex's torque spec will be printed on a piece of paper in the package.

I use the head shop in Virginia Beach off laskin rd. I haven't taken a intake /exhaust manifold to them but all of my head work is done by them with a fast turn around. I have had on resurfaced down here by a place in Elizabeth city if they can do it the head shop should be able to. I went with new oem manifold gasket no leaks what so ever.
Tommy

Here's the torque sequence too.

1646352375097.png

I use the head shop in Virginia Beach off laskin rd. I haven't taken a intake /exhaust manifold to them but all of my head work is done by them with a fast turn around. I have had on resurfaced down here by a place in Elizabeth city if they can do it the head shop should be able to. I went with new oem manifold gasket no leaks what so ever.
Tommy
where did you purchase the OEM manifold?

2X THE HEAD SHOP! I used Remflex and like it. They have their own torque spec....25 Ft lbs.
It is very thick. Let me know if you need a hand? You might consider removing the heat riser flapper thing while you are in there if you decide to separate them then machine? I have done mine twice now so I am getting pretty good at it. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom