Lift kit question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m thinking about adding a 2-4” lift kit to my truck . Does anyone know what this will cost? I know adding shackles will be significantly cheaper but what are the risks of going the cheaper route ? Thanks for your help

661B23BB-959F-448B-A0D6-1724EF96EF8E.jpeg

It looks like you already have anti-inversion shackles on the front, are you sure you don't already have some lift already?

What do you want to accomplish with additional lift?

It looks like you already have anti-inversion shackles on the front, are you sure you don't already have some lift already?

What do you want to accomplish with additional lift?
You may be right.unfortunately I haven’t been able to spend much time with it yet. I’ll be bringing it home in a few weeks once I get everything situated. Honestly the lift would be purely for the look. I don’t plan on doing any serious off roading so was just asking if adding shackles would suffice if I’m not going to off road

Is this your first 40 series? There are many things to consider, especially if you haven’t even brought your truck home yet. You need to drive it, learn it, and study it. By the nature of your question it’s appears you aren’t familiar with some of the great vendors here. Your first priorities with a new-to-you truck should be steering and brakes. Period. A lift, especially for looks, should be far, far down that important list.

Is this your first 40 series? There are many things to consider, especially if you haven’t even brought your truck home yet. You need to drive it, learn it, and study it. By the nature of your question it’s appears you aren’t familiar with some of the great vendors here. Your first priorities with a new-to-you truck should be steering and brakes. Period. A lift, especially for looks, should be far, far down that important list.
Yes it’s my first , the truck is at a friends farm about 30 minutes away . We have been working on it and just got it running last weekend . I was able to drive it and it was a blast. You’re right I need to do some other things before considering a lift. What are some of the best vendors for parts? It won’t turn over at the moment so I may need to purchase a new starter and it will definitely need new brakes . The reason I was asking about the lift is because the truck sat for a long period of time and the tires have cracks in them. I’ll need to replace them before I start driving it more so I wanted to see what size tires I could put on it like it sits not as opposed to putting some shackles on them ( if they don’t already have them )

We would love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters. We stock the full lineup of Old Man Emu suspension components for all Land Cruisers including the FJ45LPB as well as the while you're in there parts such as additional hardware, fit kits, etc from companies such as Old Man Emu, Bilstein, Dobinson, Energy Suspension and many more. Our team would love to assist! Give us a call or email, 801-563-1277 info@cruiseroutfitters.com

Where are you in WV? Im up near the Mason/Dixon on the MD -PA border. If you’re not to far south I may be able to bring a battery and have a look. I’m headed due west next Monday toward the OH river.

@bkduece22 Didn’t mean to sound like I was trying to be your dad in my previous post. You ask some legitimate questions. To find out what it costs, go to Cruiser Outfitters and price out a complete OME setup. That’s a really solid starting point. What’s the risks of going cheap? Handling, geometry, steering, safety, doing the job twice, to start with. It pays to do it right the first time. Lots of folks like to learn this the hard way. Try to learn from them, but have fun along the way!

Lol I love how @bkdeuce22 comes in here with the initial question and drops a diesel 45 on us!
Nice truck sir, enjoy it.
Are those not anti inversion shackles on the front? Aftermarket front bumper from what I can see.
I would feel it out, new starters are not too expensive. I went with aftermarket from Rockauto and it was night and day from my old one(plug and play), new unit spins like crazy.
Get it starting and stopping and then look at a lift.
Kurt and his crew @ Cruiser Outfitters are good folks as mentioned.
Care to share the story on the 45?

Lol I love how @bkdeuce22 comes in here with the initial question and drops a diesel 45 on us!
Nice truck sir, enjoy it.
Are those not anti inversion shackles on the front? Aftermarket front bumper from what I can see.
I would feel it out, new starters are not too expensive. I went with aftermarket from Rockauto and it was night and day from my old one(plug and play), new unit spins like crazy.
Get it starting and stopping and then look at a lift.
Kurt and his crew @ Cruiser Outfitters are good folks as mentioned.
Care to share the story on the 45?
Lol, I’m not real sure about the story other than I know my uncle purchased it about 10 years ago from someone in South America. He had some work done to it but other than a new heater I’m not what else he had done. We have been working on it every weekend for the last month and was able to get it running after pull starting it. Engine sounds good and was little smoke . As soon as we figure out what it needs to get it started other than drifting or pulling I’ll bring it back to my house and start really figuring out what I want to do with it

Plan to replace all the wearable items in the steering, braking, and suspension systems. Add it up and that’ll be you base cost before you add a suspension kit to the mix. Know all of these are solid before any real driving.

Lots of spring options out there. I went Skyjacker just for the springs which were very nice riding out of the box, had free shipping and the lengths were right (vs over arched.) Dont go rough country unless you want a rough ride.

I used Bilstein in the front for my shocks and KYB OE replacements (for a T100) in the back because they are soft, cheap, made in Japan, and there's not much going on back there. Easier to get a good ride on a 45 with a longer wheelbase than a shorty

Call Kurt and get the right springs and bushings and shocks and brake lines to do the lift right. IMO none of the available lift springs yield a decent shackle angle so I went with custom springs which were not all that expensive .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom