Rear brake rotor stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Over the weekend I adjusted my parking brake (bell crank and expander bolt) and today when I drove it it felt like the rear wheel was hopping @ ~30MPH. After removing the wheel the rear rotor was HOT. Tried pulling the rotor off but no luck, it'll wiggle but won't come free. It feels like to brake shoes are "wedged" inside the rotor and won't let go. I'd appreciate any thought on the problem/solution. TIA!

Back off the adjuster for the parking brake. You set it too tight and the shoes are not allowing the drum to move.
Thanks Jon,
I can turn the rotor by hand but can't remove it. I can pry it out enough to see that the shoes are stuck inside of it. I also can't explain the wheel "hop", it felt like the wheel was really loose but it wasn't.

Thanks Jon,
I can turn the rotor by hand but can't remove it. I can pry it out enough to see that the shoes are stuck inside of it. I also can't explain the wheel "hop", it felt like the wheel was really loose but it wasn't.
Did you back off the adjuster all the way?
The rotor/drum won't come off until you adjust the shoes all the way in.

There are 2 threaded holes in the rotor hat for 8mm x 1.25 bolts to force the rotor off.

Did you back off the adjuster all the way?
The rotor/drum won't come off until you adjust the shoes all the way in.

There are 2 threaded holes in the rotor hat for 8mm x 1.25 bolts to force the rotor off.
I finally got two 8 x 1.25 bolts and was able to get the drum far enough out to turn the the adjuster from the side of the drum. I have since learned that there is an inspection/adjustment hole in the drum. (Thanks Ottram) I leaned a lot today..... :rolleyes:

I finally got two 8 x 1.25 bolts and was able to get the drum far enough out to turn the the adjuster from the side of the drum. I have since learned that there is an inspection/adjustment hole in the drum. (Thanks Ottram) I leaned a lot today..... :rolleyes:
And this is why the Toyota Factory Service Manual is available for you to download free-fer-nothin' in the resources section. Reading the FSM before starting would have saved you time/effort as this is all detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom