2L alternator wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
I am just finishing my 2L swap in my 1986 4runner. It was originally a 22re engine, I dropped in a 1984 2L diesel. I had to wire the alternator up myself due to it being on the other side of the engine so the old wiring harness wouldn't reach.

BATTERY TERMINAL: I have dual batteries installed, I just ran a 4 gauge wire from the alternator straight to the positive terminal of the battery connected to the fuse box, it is connected to both battery positives.
LAMP: This I just connected to the existing connector on the original wiring harness, just ran the wire across the rad support.
SENSE: This is hooked up to the thick white wire that originally was the battery wire on the original harness, it connects to the fuse box after the big 80 amp fuse.
IGNITION: I was getting cold and just hooked this up to a random connector that received power with the key, I think it was the connector that supplied power to the injector box from before the swap.

When the ignition is on, I am getting now battery warning light, and when the engine is running it does not charge.

Show pic of alternator. Pretty sure your '86 uses an internally regulated alternator, guessing the one on the 2L is external type. If you've still got the truck this engine came out out of there should be a regulator under the hood somewhere.

Show pic of alternator. Pretty sure your '86 uses an internally regulated alternator, guessing the one on the 2L is external type. If you've still got the truck this engine came out out of there should be a regulator under the hood somewhere.
11F1F385-127E-49BD-806B-7E4FC501C33C.jpeg
27173542-2C9D-437E-8E70-86FA0295C58A.jpeg
016282F6-83D8-4663-87E5-36E3171B7C70.jpeg

The black wire is going to the warning lamp on the dash.
09873A10-4CC0-4974-952E-E337223C5B30.jpeg

This brown wire is connected the the ignition wire, it comes on with the ignition.

After cruising around here on mud a bit, I've seen at least one other 2L with an internal regulated alt so you may have the same type. I am not certain. Have you verified full source voltage from sense and ignition on alternator side of green plug? I'd also check continutiy from charge post on alt (big ol red wire) to battery post. Just for fun I'd check for continuity from alt case to battery ground post as well. Maybe give alternator a few taps with engine running, sticky brushes perhaps or possibly worn right out.
If no issues found after the above odds and ends my next step would be to remove alt for a careful tear down and inspection on the bench. Keep at it, you'll get er.

Be sure to verify ground path to alt body, looks to be lots of nice new paint. Quick check could be a booster cable to battery negative then recheck for charge voltage with engine running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom