80 In The Snow - open vs viscous coupling center (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 80 is unstoppable in the same way a bulldozer is. It will go anywhere but if you don’t know how to dive it your going to kill yourself. Lol
^^this. I'm still laughing, plus checking the insurance policy...because I'm sure I'm an idiot.

slightly unrelated, but two videos, first one general grabber ATs, second the yoka winters.
the steep section is very steep.

Snows for the win!

Offroad? lockers dominate. On road? A-Trac all the way.
Traction control keeps you moving. Versus having to lock and unlock a center diff based on your judgement of the road conditions. It will also kick when you wouldn't expect to be losing traction, especially around corners. Not to mention allowing traction in emergency maneuvers. It's more sophisticated than you think, even the 1st generation system in the 100 series. It modulates throttle, front/rear brake pressures, even controlling inside/outside wheels based on steering wheel angle. And with the electro-hydraulic booster it's much more aggressive than the lighter duty systems in the sequoia.

Even with the above system, you can still get the rear end to swing around with some gas going around a corner on a slick surface

Once again, depends on your goals and desires. Get an 80 with a VC and compare it to your quattro. Might be surprised at how extra weight can compensate for less aids.
Does A-Trac work in 4Hi? I thought it only worked in 4Lo.

IME of winter driving my 80;

centre diff locked, high range.

ABS disengaged. i found it to be lethal in snow/hardpack.

forget front and rear lockers, unless your trying to get unstuck, its like trying to steer a elephant in a shopping trolley..

got to say, the 80 is pretty unstoppable set up like this.
^^Winters in Alaska, Colorado, and PA just like this and never the slightest bit of a problem in my 94. But I always remember that the key to safe winter travel ain't the goin it's the stoppin and being in control.

Viscous coupling center diff is great in the snow and in general wheeling

open center diff with no VC in the snow = spinning one front tire often. This is based on my real world experience, I've removed my VC and wish I had just replaced it honestly. It's great but unfortunately very vocally undervalued by many who quite honestly don't live in areas where it gets slick.

locking an open center diff results in the rear end kicking out (oversteering) very easily when powering around corners in the snow. I like that but I also have a LOT of training / have been a race instructor for many years, this trait can be and has resulted in very negative outcomes for less experienced drivers.

The VC keeps the power down and doesn't result in the 'kick out' nearly as frequently as a locked center. It smoothly transfers power to the front or rear rather than letting one tire just fire away all of the power. Find a cruiser with the VC.
This is the type of feedback I was looking for, since you have experience with and without the VC.
I agree a locked center is beneficial if you WANT to kick out the rear for cornering if feeling spicy and the road is all yours, but when sharing the road with others i would consider it to be a generally negative trait…

Once again, depends on your goals and desires. Get an 80 with a VC and compare it to your quattro. Might be surprised at how extra weight can compensate for less aids.
Worth noting my AWD cars were “older” with less electro-wizardry going on with the drivetrain than modern AWD systems…the Audi was a 2001 allroad with mechanical Torsen helical-gear center diff and the WRX a 2002 bugeye with the Viscous Coupling. I agree I generally dislike electrical techno-Nannie’s in my drivetrain

I don’t think an 80 series is the ideal vehicle for daily driving icy roads at all. But if an 80 is what you want anyway, it will do it no problem. I would not buy one solely for this purpose.

However I will admit to not having any real experience with specialized winter tires, that could make all the difference. Idk

I have always had aggressive mud tires on my 4x4s, and they are absolute ass on ice.

I don’t think an 80 series is the ideal vehicle for daily driving icy roads at all. But if an 80 is what you want anyway, it will do it no problem. I would not buy one solely for this purpose.
Heathen!

What is the BEST one in your opinion?

ass.....

Heathen!

What is the BEST one in your opinion?

ass.....
Had to edit to consider tires.

But if I had to go drive down an icy road I’m definitely taking my 80 no doubts about it.

But I wouldn’t send my wife down an icy road in it, bc old school 4x4s have a bit of a steep learning curve compared to new stuff with a brain. She would do better in her 4Runner.

Hopefully that makes sense. I guess I’m trying to say, the stuff with a computer is better and easier…until the going gets really tuff, then the OG is what you need.

Had to edit to consider tires.

But if I had to go drive down an icy road I’m definitely taking my 80 no doubts about it.

But I wouldn’t send my wife down an icy road in it, bc old school 4x4s have a bit of a steep learning curve compared to new stuff with a brain. She would do better in her 4Runner.

Hopefully that makes sense. I guess I’m trying to say, the stuff with a computer is better and easier…until the going gets really tuff, then the OG is what you need.
I see how you are.......

You think your wife is stupid.

If all the computer stuff is better, then I'll bet Matt's off-road Recovery would struggle a bit.

It's amazing how so much of the new technology totally disables a vehicle when it's in a bad situation such as deep snow, sand, or mud. It doesn't allow the operator to override the systems.

What tires are you running? ABS in your 93? Open diffs? ETC. At this point most "stock" is sorta subjective...OP is a heavy researcher! :cool:;)
Those 33 KO's AT that everyone uses. Stock suspension, locking differentials.
ABS, but ABS seemed to be a disadvantage with ice conditions. -- I lost control when I barley touched the brakes and almost struck the median.
A decked out lifted big ol Ford something or other, in the next lane , slid and drifted into the slow lane and a semi went right over the back of it.
I only used the center lock to drive up the embankment, and it was steep. That truck went right up that hill like nothing, right around the pile ups and back down twice (all the stuff in the car flying around). There's no ABS with the center diff on and I think it was easier to drive w/o it.
We were one of the only cars to navigate out of the mess and make it down the mountain.
I was so thankful/proud of that old truck I will never complain about maintenance costs again.

Last edited:
Those 285/75 BFG KO's AT that everyone uses. Stock suspension, locking differentials.
ABS, but ABS seemed to be a disadvantage with ice conditions. -- I lost control when I barley touched the brakes and almost struck the median.
A decked out lifted big ol Ford something or other, in the next lane , slid and drifted into the slow lane and a semi went right over the back of it.
I only used the center lock to drive up the embankment, and it was steep. That truck went right up that hill like nothing, right around the pile ups and back down twice (all the stuff in the car flying around). There's no ABS with the center diff on and I think it was easier to drive w/o it.
We were one of the only cars to navigate out of the mess and make it down the mountain.
I was so thankful/proud of that old truck I will never complain about maintenance costs again.
Yea idk what it is but you can tell these things were designed to get people through just about anything, out of anything, when their life depends on it, moreso than just about any other civilian passenger vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom