Fusible Link Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys, I’m in need of a little help here. 96 LC with 170,000 miles. New owner. Hard start issues and determined it was the fusible link which I replaced last week. Upon replacement, the starter wanted to stay on even when I turned the truck off until I disconnected the battery.

I replaced the starter (glad I did because the PO had a remanned duralast in there) and once everything was back together, I’m having the same issue. Everything turns on including the dash lights and radio the moment I connect the battery. The starter also engages

I figured it was the fusible link and after playing around, I figured out that if I unplug the AM2 wire (one with the connector plug), everything works perfectly. The lights don’t come on until I turn the key. Of course the engine won’t fire because the EFI is run off that wire.

Any idea what kind of Gremlin I’m fighting here? Do I have a short somewhere?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! I also just installed my Prinsu roof rack and I’m dying to do some camping!

Last edited:
178B9CA1-EC97-414E-B66B-C39245722118.jpeg
Also went with the Old School grille which I absolutely love!!

@
Hey Guys, I’m in need of a little help here. 96 LC with 170,000 miles. New owner. Hard start issues and determined it was the fusible link which I replaced last week. Upon replacement, the starter wanted to stay on even when I turned the truck off until I disconnected the battery.

I replaced the starter (glad I did because the PO had a remanned duralast in there) and once everything was back together, I’m having the same issue. Everything turns on including the dash lights and radio the moment I connect the battery. The starter also engages

I figured it was the fusible link and after playing around, I figured out that if I unplug the black wire (one with the connector plug), everything works perfectly. The lights don’t come on until I turn the key. Of course the engine won’t fire because the EFI is run off that wire.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! I also just installed my Prinsu roof rack and I’m dying to do some camping!

i recommend you deal with and contact @NLXTACY

He has anything you need here and also is a MUD SUPPORTING VENDOR

Wits End is your one stop 80 series shop

absolute-wits-end.com

I figured it was the fusible link and after playing around, I figured out that if I unplug the black wire (one with the connector plug), everything works perfectly. The lights don’t come on until I turn the key. Of course the engine won’t fire because the EFI is run off that wire.

My first thought would be an ignition switch.

Do you have an FSM for your year? They can be found above in the "References" section.

Go through a proper diagnosis to make sure things are in the right place. Usually if it's on as soon as you apply battery, then something in the circuit is shorted. Usually it's the contacts in the starter, but a new starter shouldn't have that problem unless someone crossed wires and placed them in the wrong place or the switch is fried closed.

Any ideas on this one? What in the world would cause the vehicle to basically be “stuck” in the “start” position? As soon as I connect the battery the starter begins to turn and the engine starts but the brand new starter stays engaged. Once the AM2 wire is unplugged, everything operates as it should but obviously the truck doesn’t start because it’s not getting fuel.

Seems like it can’t be the ignition switch otherwise it wouldn’t operate normally with AM2 unplugged, right? This kept me up all night trying to think what it could be

It does have an aftermarket alarm and remote start but that was operating perfect before all these new issues started popping up

I initially changed the FL because I was getting a slow start on the 1st try of the day. As soon as I replaced the FL, this is what I got. I changed the starter thinking it was sticky contacts. How can a truck be stuck in the “start” position?

I initially changed the FL because I was getting a slow start on the 1st try of the day. As soon as I replaced the FL, this is what I got. I changed the starter thinking it was sticky contacts. How can a truck be stuck in the “start” position?
@BILT4ME already gave you the most logical answer which you are ignoring for some unknown reason.
This would all be cleared up for you if you would download the FREE Toyota FSM and EWD which are in the resources section.

@BILT4ME already gave you the most logical answer which you are ignoring for some unknown reason.
This would all be cleared up for you if you would download the FREE Toyota FSM and EWD which are in the resources section.
Jon I definitely am not ignoring that it could be the ignition switch. I have those downloaded and I see that the 1st stop after the battery is the ignition switch. I guess I was hoping someone else had this same issue and knows for sure before I start digging into my steering column. I’m a one 🍌 mechanic and I don’t want to screw everything up. I see the procedure in the FSM but it still makes me nervous. Not trying to be one of those guys that’s ignoring good advice. I’ll definitely start at the ignition switch because it does seem like the most logical place to start

I removed the ignition switch from the truck and I’m waiting on the new one to arrive

I decided to hook up the battery and plug in the AM2 FL to see what would happen and sure enough….the truck wants to start itself. It seems like maybe the truck side of the AM2 wire is shorting out somehow? Just to recap, I have replaced the FL and it properly with the new service wire and gray connector. PO had it connected with a blade connector but at least it started and ran. I have also replaced the starter with a new Denso unit.

What could be causing it to be stuck in the “start” position even with the ignition switch removed?

Thanks again for all the help. 1st time Toyota owner

What could be causing it to be stuck in the “start” position even with the ignition switch removed?
Why would you order parts before testing them?

The starter logic path is pretty simple on these trucks. Battery +, fusible link AM1, fuse AM1, ignition switch, neutral start switch, starter.
Obviously something is shorting and providing +12 to the logic side of the starter. I would be looking for molested wiring on the ignition switch connections.
Both AM1 and AM2 fusible links hit the ignition switch circuit.

You could disconnect the small solenoid control wire/connector. If the starter still tries to start, the the starter is stuck on. I presume you didn't pre-test the starter before installing it ?

Do the above and at least you will know the starter is not stuck. Also, by new I assume a reman denso?

cheers,
george.

Why would you order parts before testing them?

The starter logic path is pretty simple on these trucks. Battery +, fusible link AM1, fuse AM1, ignition switch, neutral start switch, starter.
Obviously something is shorting and providing +12 to the logic side of the starter. I would be looking for molested wiring on the ignition switch connections.
Both AM1 and AM2 fusible links hit the ignition switch circuit.
Thank you so much Jon. I ordered the part because I figured I’d start replacing items on the truck as I go and keep and any useable parts as backups. Doesn’t hurt to have a backup ignition switch just in case.

I’ll snap a pic of my truck side ignition switch connections so you can take a look. Things definitely don’t look stock but I am able to identify most of it using the FSM. I have very little electrical knowledge but you guys have been a huge help along with the FSM. I would never tackle something like this without you guys. I’m a sales rep for Boss Plows in case you ever need a plow or a spreader. I can hook you guys up with a great discount

Appreciate all the help

You could disconnect the small solenoid control wire/connector. If the starter still tries to start, the the starter is stuck on. I presume you didn't pre-test the starter before installing it ?

Do the above and at least you will know the starter is not stuck. Also, by new I assume a reman denso?

cheers,
george.
Are you talking about the small wire that goes into the starter using the black connector? Yes, it was a reman Denso

I should mention that not only does the starter engage when I plug everything in, but all the dash lights and radio come on when I connect the battery. I will check the starter connection but that doesn’t explain why the truck seems to “turn on” when I connect the battery

Looks to be a lot of electrical tape and potential splices that I will need to investigate. Ugh……

Are you talking about the small wire that goes into the starter using the black connector? Yes, it was a reman Denso
yes.

And yeah, looks like a lot of (poor quality) PO stuff going on. Did you touch ANYTHING other than replace the starter (and of course the fusible links)?

You obviously will need to figure out what the PO garbage is sooner than later. Maybe hooked to an alarm system, maybe even with remote start...

cheers,
george.

yes.

And yeah, looks like a lot of (poor quality) PO stuff going on. Did you touch ANYTHING other than replace the starter (and of course the fusible links)?

You obviously will need to figure out what the PO garbage is sooner than later. Maybe hooked to an alarm system, maybe even with remote start...

cheers,
george.
There is a remote start hooked up under the hood. I’ve tried disconnecting it when troubleshooting and it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I was just looking at this wiring diagram and it seems like the wiring issue must be upstream from the starter. With the ignition switch taken out, how could the starter be getting power? I’m obviously lost when it comes to electrical. I’ve been reading the FSM all day and I just can’t seem to figure it out

623A019D-F5B4-4537-BE50-BABEEE9CE760.jpeg
705EA9E4-3062-4815-AE1C-C2A82A5418CD.jpeg

Here my FL setup. Problems began after I changed the FL. Initially had a really hard 1st start of the day which led me to replace the FL

View attachment 2934700View attachment 2934701
Here my FL setup. Problems began after I changed the FL. Initially had a really hard 1st start of the day which led me to replace the FL
Do you have the smallest battery possible in there? What is that side-post looking thing?

There is a whole lotta UGLY wiring in there next to those connectors you showed in that pic.

If there is a remote start on hits, I'll bet that's the source of your problem.

See, that's why we try to ask about things like alarm systems, remote start, lights, winch, stereos because people THINK they understand how to wire something and they DON'T. I've been doing this a long time and I still have to question everything I do to make sure I don't dick it up.

If you don't already own a multi-meter, get one. If you don't know how to use it, watch some tutorials. Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom