Knock sensor connector (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
In the process of removing the engine harness during the headgasket R & R, I managed to break both knock sensors. Actually, the male connectors of the sensors crumbled in my hand. O'Relly came through with the replacement sensors (I cheaped out and didn't buy Toyota sensors). However, I also managed to pull the lock tab off of one of the engine harness housings. Fortunately, they are still available: 90980-11166. The bad news is that when you buy housings from Toyota, you only get the housing. Not a problem if the the housing isn't sealed, but all the engine harness housings are.

So, you are left with one of the following scenarios:
a) find a 1995 (or so) Camry (or something else from about that same era) and splice it in
b) harvest the terminal and gland (the sealing part) from the old housing (not a big deal, but does involve surgery and the help of the Wiring Harness Repair Manual, RM-1022E)
c) order a new housing, terminal and gland from Ballenger
1645457198444.png

d) or, even simpler (but not as elegant; see a) above), buy a new pigtail from Ballenger and splice that in
1645457303188.png

In the process of removing the engine harness during the headgasket R & R, I managed to break both knock sensors. Actually, the male connectors of the sensors crumbled in my hand. O'Relly came through with the replacement sensors (I cheaped out and didn't buy Toyota sensors). However, I also managed to pull the lock tab off of one of the engine harness housings. Fortunately, they are still available: 90980-11166. The bad news is that when you buy housings from Toyota, you only get the housing. Not a problem if the the housing isn't sealed, but all the engine harness housings are.

So, you are left with one of the following scenarios:
a) find a 1995 (or so) Camry (or something else from about that same era) and splice it in
b) harvest the terminal and gland (the sealing part) from the old housing (not a big deal, but does involve surgery and the help of the Wiring Harness Repair Manual, RM-1022E)
c) order a new housing, terminal and gland from Ballenger
View attachment 2932342
d) or, even simpler (but not as elegant; see a) above), buy a new pigtail from Ballenger and splice that in
View attachment 2932343
Im sure many appreciate your sleuthing and industry, but I do have two new oem knock sensors per above post I didn’t use. Pls lmk if you want them. Just pay for shipping.

Last edited:
Im sure many appreciate your sleuthing and industry, but I do have two new oem knock sensors per above post I didn’t use. Pls lmk if you want them. Just pay for shipping.
You are too kind, but I had already ordered replacements by the time I got around to posting.

How much wire is left on the harness? Option D seems like the cleanest / easiest
Toyota was really stingy on the harness length on that side of the engine. The wire broke at the connector, so I'm hopeful I can move the wire into the connector by the length of the engagement in the housing, maybe 1/4"?

Got this from witsend.. cut it and got a butt splice. P0325 cleared for 10miles. Then came back :/ anyone have any suggestions?
If you figure it out, let me know. My best guess is that the O'Reilly sensors are not quite sending the right signal, and I need to replace the one I installed. I also replaced the front knock sensor and the pigtail. I spliced the front knock sensor to the rear, and the rear sensor is currently passing a good signal to both pigtails. I'll get around to buying an OEM sensor one of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom