Spare parts to carry for extended travel in the US? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What spares would you keep with you for extended travel, say several years travel in the United States? Travel obvious involves highway and towns but also a lot of solo travel in remote areas, camping, wheeling and exploring. I know in the US i can get a lot of stuff in any town or have stuff mailed but that is not always easy. A lot of the areas i am in are small towns that dont stock a lot of stuff, shipping takes extra time not to mention that if i am in the back country I might need to make repairs to get of the trail. Currently my spares are a mixture of what i feel i need to make unplanned repairs but also some basic maintenance items. There are also a few small things that i keep with me because i know how much it would suck to misplace them during a field repair. Kind of like when you are working on your truck and you drop that one bolt and just cant find it. I keep select basic maintenance items on hand that way i can do those jobs when it is convenient and then replace that item into my "inventory" when i get settled and have mail services some place. That way i dont put of maintenance or become tempted to use subpar parts that might be available from local sources. But space in the truck is at a premium so i cant do things like carry a half dozen oil filters around.

Since i am usually alone i try to avoid the more technical trails but it does not always work out that way. But still, i wont be carrying extra drive shafts and stuff like that. I am more inclined to have general spares and maintenance items . For example it nice to have a spare set of quality brake pads on hand. I can drop a new set in while my wife goes in the grocery store faster than i can drive around some small town trying to find a set.

Currently this is basically what i keep on hand in the truck, some of these parts are intentionally with me, some i have just gathered over the years of travel, not sure why i have them. New OEM parts.

AC belt
fan belts
spark plugs
FIPG new unopened
drive shaft bolts new x4
locking hub gaskets paper new x 4
inner front drive shaft rubber seal new x 2 90310-35710
radiator cap
axle c clips x 2
fusible link
Drain plug (allen head and magnetic center not sure if it transfer case or transmision)
Lower arm studs X 2 new
nuts x 2 new
cone washer X 2 new
motor oil drain gaskets
Relay 90987-0200483 X 1 new (EFI?)
Relay fuel pump 28380-66010 X 1 new
assorted hose clamps
assorted nuts bolts
assorted bulbs and fuses

Things i know i need to add and replace since i used them last:
Oil filter
Brake pads
Wiper blade inserts ( like to have these and they pack well)
rest of the gaskets and seals for birfields/wheel bearings service
would like to have spares of the other drain plugs and washers

What would you guys add or get rid of?

Axle C clips? Your 80 is a 91/92?

Circuit opening relay
Compact jump starter
Oil filter

wheel studs, front and rear
probably a 2nd fusible link
front knuckle studs (and bolts too)
rear shock bolt (x2)
Wheel studs are a good idea. I had one break onetime on my wifes care from tire shop over tightening one. it was a major pain to try to get it fixed in a short time frame. Would have been much easier if i had one on hand.

Axle C clips? Your 80 is a 91/92?

Circuit opening relay
Compact jump starter
Oil filter
Mine is a 94. I have part time with locking hubs but might also be using the wrong term. I have a "C clip" on the end of the birfeild shaft. It is one of the first things i take of when breaking it down to service wheel bearings. Does that make sense?

I have dual batt and also carry jumper cables. What it the "circuit open" relay?

Credit card (To pay for stuff that you didn't include on your list)
Fiat 500/Mini Cooper (Ride to a parts store)
Cell phone with internet (Order parts that you never knew existed)

All joking aside these things are pretty reliable. Anything at anytime can go pear shaped and probably not when it is very convenient. I would say don't get wrapped up in trying to carry everything that you think you might need because you just never know what is going to be needed. Looks like you have a pretty good list of essentials. Get out and enjoy yourself and deal with the what if's as they arise. Because they will!

Good luck in your journeys and if you get to South Texas give me a shout.

Credit card (To pay for stuff that you didn't include on your list)
Fiat 500/Mini Cooper (Ride to a parts store)
Cell phone with internet (Order parts that you never knew existed)

All joking aside these things are pretty reliable. Anything at anytime can go pear shaped and probably not when it is very convenient. I would say don't get wrapped up in trying to carry everything that you think you might need because you just never know what is going to be needed. Looks like you have a pretty good list of essentials. Get out and enjoy yourself and deal with the what if's as they arise. Because they will!

Good luck in your journeys and if you get to South Texas give me a shout.

Thanks, We are actually going to be out a little west of Austin in April hunting hog on a friends ranch on out way out to Wyoming. But our schedule is pretty tight. I have passed though Texas a bunch of times but it will be first time spending any time there. Looking forward to cooking up some pig and cleaning up his ranch a little.

You might be overthinking it....just make sure your rig is as good as can be for your trip, pack some tools, a fuseable link, general knowledge of how to fix your 80 just in case., etc. If you start loading down too much that becomes the hassle. There's plenty of places and people close to pretty much anywhere that if you really need something you can get it.

I have a "C clip" on the end of the birfeild shaft.

while thats good to have, not what @baldilocks was referring to. 91/92 had a simi-float rear and the axle shaft was retained by a c-clip in the carrier of the rear similar to a dana or gm rear. the 94-97 had a full float so no problem with that.

get a small assortment of fuses (whatever style are in the truck if youve added anything), maybe 4ft length of various sized hose (think p/s or trans), duct tape, tire plug kit, spare alternator (not necessarily new), if your really ambitious tire irons with a maul tire soap and a bead breaker if you want to change tires by hand and carry a loose spare tire.

its probably going to be the small stupid stuff that hangs you up, not the big items. if something big lets loose you going to be most likely paying for outside help so prioritize the space in the truck for what you can carry and what you think will be the most likely to let you down then build your spare part kit and bring the appropriate tool to address the parts that your bringing with you

while thats good to have, not what @baldilocks was referring to. 91/92 had a simi-float rear and the axle shaft was retained by a c-clip in the carrier of the rear similar to a dana or gm rear. the 94-97 had a full float so no problem with that.

get a small assortment of fuses (whatever style are in the truck if youve added anything), maybe 4ft length of various sized hose (think p/s or trans), duct tape, tire plug kit, spare alternator (not necessarily new), if your really ambitious tire irons with a maul tire soap and a bead breaker if you want to change tires by hand and carry a loose spare tire.

its probably going to be the small stupid stuff that hangs you up, not the big items. if something big lets loose you going to be most likely paying for outside help so prioritize the space in the truck for what you can carry and what you think will be the most likely to let you down then build your spare part kit and bring the appropriate tool to address the parts that your bringing with you
Chunk of hose is a good idea. Have a bunch of spares in all the styles i have. Thanks for the clarification about the C clip.

I looked in my Toyota tool role today and saw that i actually have what looks like a tire spoon in there. Kind of strange.

You might be overthinking it....just make sure your rig is as good as can be for your trip, pack some tools, a fuseable link, general knowledge of how to fix your 80 just in case., etc. If you start loading down too much that becomes the hassle. There's plenty of places and people close to pretty much anywhere that if you really need something you can get it.
Good advice. I have been on the road already about 8 years doing this. I am usually trimming it down rather than adding. I think in the beginning i had way more stuff than now even though the truck has 200,000 more miles on it.

I looked in my Toyota tool role today and saw that i actually have what looks like a tire spoon in there. Kind of strange.

that would be pretty interesting and a cool thing to have. but you would need real tire irons like these Security Check - https://www.truckid.com/ken-tool/37-super-duty-tubeless-truck-tire-iron-mpn-34645.html?view=334776&gclid=CjwKCAiA6seQBhAfEiwAvPqu18Y9iueTDpGUp43FctGAdOhgS5eX-H5X6A2Ba7w0nwGENeY9u9zIuBoCBrUQAvD_BwE and a maul like this Amazon product ASIN B000MIWLZ2, tri to find one that has a wooden handle so you dont get stuck with little fiberglass splinters

Mine is a 94. I have part time with locking hubs but might also be using the wrong term. I have a "C clip" on the end of the birfeild shaft. It is one of the first things i take of when breaking it down to service wheel bearings. Does that make sense?

I have dual batt and also carry jumper cables. What it the "circuit open" relay?
The circuit opening relay (COR), if it fails, will not allow powder to the fuel pump and you’ll be stranded. I replaced all fuses and relays that can kill an 80 and carry the old ones as spares.

Dual batteries is great and all but if you are truly remote and solo a jump start pack like the Antigravity units are worth there cost. Mine has a built in flashlight, and a couple USB ports for charging other devices as well as the capability to jump start the vehicle engine.

I understand which C clips you are referring to now.

Last edited:
that would be pretty interesting and a cool thing to have. but you would need real tire irons like these Security Check - https://www.truckid.com/ken-tool/37-super-duty-tubeless-truck-tire-iron-mpn-34645.html?view=334776&gclid=CjwKCAiA6seQBhAfEiwAvPqu18Y9iueTDpGUp43FctGAdOhgS5eX-H5X6A2Ba7w0nwGENeY9u9zIuBoCBrUQAvD_BwE and a maul like this Amazon product ASIN B000MIWLZ2, tri to find one that has a wooden handle so you dont get stuck with little fiberglass splinters
Dont get me wrong, no way was i going to try to use it. Just thought it was strange it was in there.

Dont get me wrong, no way was i going to try to use it. Just thought it was strange it was in there.
i kinda figured that, weird that its in there but really cool. does it have any markings on it to indicate that it was from toyota or part of the original kit?

Spare starter, because without one your SOL with an automatic US-market 80. You could carry contacts and a plunger, but if the windings are fried, or the reduction gear is damaged, you're still stuck.

Spare alternator for pretty much the same reason. You can carry brushes, but if the windings, slip ring, or voltage regulator/rectifier is shot you're still not getting power.

Some kind of head gasket repair product containing sodium silicate. I wouldn't use it if I could reasonably get towed, but I'd gladly use it if my alternatives were dying of exposure or a tow bill that exceeds the value of the vehicle.

Thanks, We are actually going to be out a little west of Austin in April hunting hog on a friends ranch on out way out to Wyoming. But our schedule is pretty tight. I have passed though Texas a bunch of times but it will be first time spending any time there. Looking forward to cooking up some pig and cleaning up his ranch a little.
Texas Hill Country around Austin is some damn beautiful country. Lots of wine produced in that area if you are so inclined to partake. Or just get you a cold Shiner shoot some hogs and sit around the fire at night.

what year 80 ?

3FE or 1FZ-FE ?

USA spec ?

or

NON usa ?

details matter here !
Appears he said it's a 94. I'm assuming it's USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom