OEM Rear Hatch Struts - Now Cheaper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got tired of hitting my head on my rear hatch (I know you know what I'm talking about), so I happened to run the part numbers on my local Toyota dealership website. The prices if you order online are generally about 25% cheaper than if you call in an order or just walk in, and hover right around or a bit more than Amayama.

I was surprised to see that each rear hatch strut was $38, so I ordered them up. They came in within a week, and I installed them today. They are ten times better than the aftermarket ones I installed over five years ago, and which were already failing.

I'm only posting this up because others have posted here on Mud that the rear hatch struts were about double what I paid. Those are older posts, but I don't know why the prices would be so different now. Just wanted to put this up in case others are looking to stop hitting their head, too, but thought the price was much higher (like I did).

For my 1996 TLC, the part numbers are: 68950-60040 (RIGHT SIDE) AND 68960-60030 (LEFT SIDE).

Happy Trails.

Last edited:
So why don't you let us know what dealership you've done business with.

bicycleagent: did you notice on the original factory part number sticker if it said Made in Japan, or somewhere else?

They used to be close to ?? $80-100 each Toyota retail IIRC??

It would be interesting to know how Toyota was able to drop the price so much, different manufacturer, made in chy nna, viet name, or ??

Last edited:
This is what I did 8 years ago and LOTS of use.

I got tired of hitting my head on my rear hatch (I know you know what I'm talking about), so I happened to run the part numbers on my local Toyota dealership website. The prices if you order online are generally about 25% cheaper than if you call in an order or just walk in, and hover right around or a bit more than Amayama.

I was surprised to see that each rear hatch strut was $38, so I ordered them up. They came in within a week, and I installed them today. They are ten times better than the aftermarket ones I installed over five years ago, and which were already failing.

I'm only posting this up because others have posted here on Mud that the rear hatch struts were about double what I paid. Those are older posts, but I don't know why the prices would be so different now. Just wanted to put this up in case others are looking to stop hitting their head, too, but thought the price was much higher (like I did).

For my 1996 TLC, the part numbers are: 68590-60040 (RIGHT SIDE) AND 68960-60030 (LEFT SIDE).

Happy Trails.
Edit: I bought them at Ventura Toyota in Ventura, CA. I don't think they're offering better prices then other dealerships. It seems like many Toyota dealerships now allow you to order parts online through their website. Just navigate to the Parts page on the dealership's page closest to you, enter your part numbers and you'll see the price, then select local pickup, which zeroes out the shipping. Ventura Toyota Parts (ordering that way) is still a bit more expensive than Olathe or McGeorge Toyota, but I can pick up locally and not pay shipping. Recently, a friend's brake booster went out on his 2005 4Runner. When I put that part number in on Ventura Toyota's parts order portal for him we saw that it was half of what they were going to charge him for the same part if he had the job done there and they installed the very same part.

The hatch struts I just got are made in Japan per the label on each bag.
20220220_153913.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom