Continuous Beep from dash with engine off (key in or out) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2002 model and recently just started getting a continuous beep from the dash with the engine turned off. The key can be in or out. It sometimes comes on immediately and sometimes there is a 5-10 second delay. It is also intermittent. It will be fine for a few days and then start again. Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like it could be a moisture issue. Does it happen after it’s been raining? Can you keep the truck out of the rain and see if the issue goes away?
It was after a hard rain. I think it is moisture related. The horn likes to come on after a rain also. I had to pull the fuse on the horn. Is there anything in particular I can do to keep the moisture out? Thanks.

Well, the horn fuse & relay are in the engine compartment junction box (right behind the battery). If you remove the box cover do you see condensation in there? The cover’s gasket can be replaced if it’s dried up like the below pic. How-to is here: Engine Bay Fuse Box Lid Gasket Replacement

4E008C7C-18FF-4031-B386-50B0216EE62C.jpeg

The dash beeping may be from moisture inside the cabin getting on the instrument cluster. This is usually from a leaking windshield (bad installation/seal) or sunroof (clogged drain tubes). Do you see any condensation in the driver’s footwell or anywhere under your dash?

Well, the horn fuse & relay are in the engine compartment junction box (right behind the battery). If you remove the box cover do you see condensation in there? The cover’s gasket can be replaced if it’s dried up like the below pic. How-to is here: Engine Bay Fuse Box Lid Gasket Replacement

View attachment 2932751

The dash beeping may be from moisture inside the cabin getting on the instrument cluster. This is usually from a leaking windshield (bad installation/seal) or sunroof (clogged drain tubes). Do you see any condensation in the driver’s footwell or anywhere under your dash?
I also noticed recently that the plastic grommet / possible drain under the driver side floor mat was missing in my rig. It left the carpet pretty wet , perhaps this could cause some problems if left unattended for longer since the fuses are not far on away on the other side.. I spotted it while changing oil, from underside of truck.

Probably not the OPs problem but worth a quick look.

I also noticed recently that the plastic grommet / possible drain under the driver side floor mat was missing in my rig. It left the carpet pretty wet , perhaps this could cause some problems if left unattended for longer since the fuses are not far on away on the other side.. I spotted it while changing oil, from underside of truck.

Probably not the OPs problem but worth a quick look.
Yup. Any moisture in that area can affect the fuse box and cause funny things to happen. That water either came from below from road splash, or above from a windshield/sunroof drain leak.

Electrical gremlins can usually be traced back to leaking around left or right side of windshield. Water enters and drips down the A pillar into the fuse boxes located on the drivers or passengers side.

Either rust around windshield frame, or leaks where the windshield trim is attached with either rivets (or screws if the windshield has been replaced ) is the most likely suspect.

There are a couple of write ups on this forum on removing and reinstalling the windshield trim. This will be the first place to start looking

Electrical gremlins can usually be traced back to leaking around left or right side of windshield. Water enters and drips down the A pillar into the fuse boxes located on the drivers or passengers side.

Either rust around windshield frame, or leaks where the windshield trim is attached with either rivets (or screws if the windshield has been replaced ) is the most likely suspect.

There are a couple of write ups on this forum on removing and reinstalling the windshield trim. This will be the first place to start looking
Thanks for all of the information.

• @jdfraz16 were you able to find the root cause for the beep? Or solve it conclusively somehow by eliminating drips and letting things dry out?
Adding to this thread, I have a 2000 LC and recently developed a continuous beep from dash with engine off (key in or out). The sound will turn off as I switch the key from ACC to the ON position. I've been pulling the neg on battery when I park it so I don't drain the battery, but that's keeping my wife from driving it. Three videos of my beep:

It has been wet, so I do suspect some water down the A-pillar as the source of the problem, but I'd like to pin down exactly what it is so I can pull the fuse for that bit of the system for now and continue with life while I wait for things to dry out. I did have about 36 hours of dry weather and I was hoping that would clear it up, but no such luck.

If anyone has a pointer to what might be getting shorted here, what this beeps normal function is, or what fuse to remove I'd appreciate it!

Bryan McQueen
Scotts Valley, CA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom