Rear seat belt anchor plate question Fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ernboto

My garage is my happy place
SILVER Star
Threads
I ordered a complete set of belts, front and rear, from Seatbelt Planet. I went with shoulder belts in the back for added safety on the old “death trap”, as my mother in law likes to refer to it.

I called and spoke with Steve and he pointed me in the direction of the following as I wanted to come close as OEM as possible

Rear kit SKU: 50378-V01
Front kit SKU: 50351-V01

A few weeks later I got the belts and spent the weekend installing them, fishing the shoulder anchors in the C pillars as my May ‘86 did not have the threaded holes.

Anyways, everything went pretty smooth except that the center buckle anchor plates were the opposite of the factory.

5234F29C-499D-473D-AF1E-6832CEA069E7.jpeg

The top belt is the SBP unit. Note the plate points up when the belt is layed flat. I called SBP and they insisted that my belts were unusual as their research showed that most anchors turned up rather than down like mine

I’m curious as to what other 60 owners have?

Ernboto, Mine (10/1985 FJ60) are the same as yours. I just got back into my seat belt project. How did the install go? I am thinking of buying the same kit.

Ernboto, Mine (10/1985 FJ60) are the same as yours. I just got back into my seat belt project. How did the install go? I am thinking of buying the same kit.
Install went well. I did have to install the shoulder best anchors as my B pillars did not have the threaded holes. The decided to install the rear seat retractors on the surface rather than cut into the body and recess them. The anchors were the only thing that bothered me. In the end I ended up facing the tabs so that the turned up parts just faced down to keep the belt buckle buttons face up. Other than that, very straight forward. They look and work great.

mine looked the same as yours also. factory and SBP. At some point I reversed them so the button would stay up more naturally.

I ordered a complete set of belts, front and rear, from Seatbelt Planet. I went with shoulder belts in the back for added safety on the old “death trap”, as my mother in law likes to refer to it.

I called and spoke with Steve and he pointed me in the direction of the following as I wanted to come close as OEM as possible

Rear kit SKU: 50378-V01
Front kit SKU: 50351-V01

A few weeks later I got the belts and spent the weekend installing them, fishing the shoulder anchors in the C pillars as my May ‘86 did not have the threaded holes.

Anyways, everything went pretty smooth except that the center buckle anchor plates were the opposite of the factory.

View attachment 2928790
The top belt is the SBP unit. Note the plate points up when the belt is layed flat. I called SBP and they insisted that my belts were unusual as their research showed that most anchors turned up rather than down like mine

I’m curious as to what other 60 owners have?
How tough was it to install the shoulder belts to the rear? I never did it to my 87....but think I should with the 85 that's on the way. Still won't have the headrests....but this is better than nothing, right?

It is pretty easy if you have the welded nut on the pillar! More difficult if not. It is a coin toss as far as I know. I felt for the hole, cut a small X and with a flashlight looked for the threads.

It is pretty easy if you have the welded nut on the pillar! More difficult if not. It is a coin toss as far as I know. I felt for the hole, cut a small X and with a flashlight looked for the threads.
Great Feedback. Much appreciated.

There are lots of threads with ways to add the nut behind the hole if yours is not there. Glad to help

How tough was it to install the shoulder belts to the rear? I never did it to my 87....but think I should with the 85 that's on the way. Still won't have the headrests....but this is better than nothing, right?
SBP offers a threaded plate which is slim and perfect for the job. I tested my pillars with a needle and thought I had threads and didn’t. I didn’t order the plate and ended up making my own by welding a nut to a large washer. If it weren’t for that the install would have been pretty easy. I don’t use epoxy to hold it in place as other have done. Instead I used double sided tape and left the wax paper on until it was in position. Overall not a bad process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom