Early FD knob assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The end of the Front Drive control on my car is missing the knob and some hardware. The current end sticking out of the dash is square in profile and has no threads or means of securing the knob. Can someone shed light on how this assembly works? I now have the knob but I’m clearly missing some bits. Here’s a photo

A9F17006-D5BB-4C7E-BD40-810B0D792DDC.jpeg

DCAE8FB5-06EB-4599-ACA2-73E4E81C468E.jpeg

? Doesn’t seem to show this detail unless I’m missing something

Thanks for the link, I read through and looked at the photos - they aren’t really much more descriptive than the ones I posted. It’s not really clear how the pieces attach together or are assembled.

I’m a little confused at what you’re asking. Are the 2 pictures you posted on the first post your truck?

The knob gets pulled out which is attached to a cable that uses vacuum to engage the transfer case to 4WD in conjunction with the hubs.

The lever selects high and low gear.

The small post coming off the lever catches on the “FD” cable and activates 4WD. I have found they easily slip to the side though and can be utilized separately.

Here are a few pics from the web..

8EECC14F-3975-4AA0-B141-81CB06CD1AE5.jpeg

9FFADC3E-7FD5-4A42-8FF4-65A322D051EE.jpeg

Mechanical lever setup:

3D855E9A-8E83-4A6F-A2D4-45008772D849.gif

Vacuum setup:
9C24B943-BBCC-4A9B-B387-66C85726CEB9.gif

If I’m off base and you know all this then maybe you can explain what you’re looking for?

It's a rod/cable that pulls thru a tube. The tube is secured to the dash. The cable/rod is threaded with a nut and a knob. Post up your truck pictures. Some of us have parts.

I’m a little confused at what you’re asking. Are the 2 pictures you posted on the first post your truck?

The knob gets pulled out which is attached to a cable that uses vacuum to engage the transfer case to 4WD in conjunction with the hubs.

The small post coming off the lever catches on the “FD” cable and activates 4WD. I have found they easily slip to the side though and can be utilized separately.

View attachment 2928331

View attachment 2928332

Mechanical lever setup:

View attachment 2928333

Vacuum setup:
View attachment 2928334

If I’m off base and you know all this then maybe you can explain what you’re looking for?
Dom,
Thanks for the

View attachment 2928331

View attachment 2928332

Mechanical lever setup:

View attachment 2928333

Vacuum setup:
View attachment 2928334

Dom,
Thanks for the reply and photos. I’m trying to determine how the parts I have outlined in red on the photos I posted attach to the end of the control cable. I am missing the outlined parts and cannot seem to find pictures of these pieces on their own unassembled. If I cannot find these bits I’d like to make them.

It's a rod/cable that pulls thru a tube. The tube is secured to the dash. The cable/rod is threaded with a nut and a knob. Post up your truck pictures. Some of us have parts.
The end of my cable has no threads but seems to move in and out fine. It looks in the photos as if there are at least two nuts (a special nut perhaps that the lever catches, and a more pedestrian lock nut) as well as the knob? I’ll take a picture of my dash and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it. Thanks again

So yours is the third one of those non-stock cables I’ve seen. My ‘65 has one (PO mod), and this one has one (zoom in the pic and you’ll see the pull handle that’s on these - yours is obviously missing) :
After mocking up the corrugated sheet metal back on the seat, it looks like I may not need to modify the seat height (chop the top/invasive surgery). Just wrap it up in some coral vinyl and call it good.

View attachment 1567162

Both my rig and this one are out of Oregon - where’s yours? Wonder if this is a common mod from an LC club.

So yours is the third one of those non-stock cables I’ve seen. My ‘65 has one (PO mod), and this one has one (zoom in the pic and you’ll see the pull handle that’s on these - yours is obviously missing) :

Both my rig and this one are out of Oregon - where’s yours? Wonder if this is a common mod from an LC club.
This 45 is from, and still resides in oregon. It hasnt been outside 100 mile radius since new.

Well 😂 that’s three Oregon rigs that have that same aftermarket FD pull cable (and knob)!

Curious, does what you have pull to engage the vacuum pod? If so run it for now and focus on other little things. Somewhere I have a dead vacuum pod I could possibly sell for parts if you want to go stock. Won't be able to locate it till prob may tho

Curious, does what you have pull to engage the vacuum pod? If so run it for now and focus on other little things. Somewhere I have a dead vacuum pod I could possibly sell for parts if you want to go stock. Won't be able to locate it till prob may tho
There is a picture above where it meets the vacuum unit under the hood- the cable present pulls the vacuum control just fine. Im trying to get the truck "complete". This is one of about ten small items that need sorted. Still donno how the original goes together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom