Builds colonel mustard, in the garage, with a wrench (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
after being cruiserless for quite some time, because i refuse to take part the outrageous markups that some people are taking advantage of, i come across a pretty good 40 and for what i consider a reasonable price. most of you have read over mattress kings threads for the work he has done on his august, 1975 mustard yellow 40, which is nice because it will save me time with back stories. nate and i came to a deal and i recieved the cruiser this week from idaho (i am arkansas).

this cruiser is in what i would call good shape, for a truck that has never been restored and is a great driving vehicle. engine runs strong (has a rebuild in its history somewhere), tranny shifts fine, and everything seems to work aside from the horns, brake lamp indicator, and wiper liquid motor. i have been driving it around town since i got it, coming up with a short term plan of what to do. im MUCH happier with this cruiser than the 67 i was working on a few years ago. parts are easily obtainable and people are raping on used parts quite as bad. dont even get me started on trying to find a steering wheel for that 67 🙃. so far, i need a knuckle rebuild and the front brakes adjusted/and or rebuilt. yet to be determined. needs a headliner, and the rear sill could use attention but that is probably pretty long term. i would however, love to replace the driver side rear ambulance door as one of the PO's appears to have slammed the tire carrier into it, poking a hole in the door because the rubber stopper was not on the bolt head for the carrier. if anyone has a mustard yellow 1975 left side door shoot me a PM. anyways, here are a few pics of the truck as of this morning. progression and build to come! and for any of you that followed my 4runner build, shes still around for now, a pic for viewing pleasure, likely to go for sale soon. items currently on order are square convex mirrors (windshield mount), front wheel cylinders, and a knuckle rebuild kit. stuff that came with the cruiser, hardtop weather seals and headliner, and old conferr over head storage cubby, and a CCOT tailgate panel for removing the top and back doors.

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg
IMG_0213.JPG

Congrats, one of my favorite mustard 40s. Personally I had a hard time seeing with the square convex mirrors mounted to the windshield frame. I got the brackets to mount it to the door from CCOT and have much better visibility now.

Last edited:
Congrats, one of my favorite mustard 40s. Personally I had a hard time seeing with the square convex mirrors mounted to the windshield frame. I got the brackets to mount it do the door from CCOT and have much better visibility now.
anything is better than the bicycle mirrors on it now lol

a few things today, just poking around. the horns do not work, and i have tracked it to what i believe to be the horn relay. vintageTEQ parts has a NOS replay on his site with a repair plug and terminals for about 80 bucks. thats pretty dang steep for a relay but it fixes the realy and the terminal/plug issue and i am a stickler for "the right way" so ill grab one tomorrow most likely. as for a few of these other random jumper wires under the hood, ill tackle them one at a time with a solder iron and some connectors. anyone know a good source for oem style connector terminals? sometimes theyre available oem i know.

IMG_0261.jpg
IMG_0262.jpg
IMG_0263.jpg
IMG_0264.jpg

Coolerman and ToyotaMatt

ToyotaMatt has your connectors for the alternator and pretty much everything else obscure and NLA that you might look for.

Coolerman is also a good source for wiring items too. Both accept online orders, but I don’t have their sites bookmarked. Maybe someone else can post links.

Last edited:
Edited above to say that both accept online orders

1645154202896.png

1645154277808.png

Congrats on the purchase.
It will be a great projects.
Tell me about the early style steering wheels.
I have been looking for one for my 71 FJ40. I ended putting a later style wheel.
Looking forward to watching what you do this rig.

Congrats on the purchase.
It will be a great projects.
Tell me about the early style steering wheels.
I have been looking for one for my 71 FJ40. I ended putting a later style wheel.
Looking forward to watching what you do this rig.
i believe i have one in my garage i bought from nolan grogan. ill try and snap a pic, yours if you want it.

View attachment 2929097

View attachment 2929098

purchased, thanks! will probably do a parts yard run and hunt for some of these other various connectors. the little section of harness that leads to the brake master cylinder is also gone on this truck, but i could not find that connector style on your site. any lead on those?

purchased, thanks! will probably do a parts yard run and hunt for some of these other various connectors. the little section of harness that leads to the brake master cylinder is also gone on this truck, but i could not find that connector style on your site. any lead on those?

i do not have the brake master harness yet

here is what i DO have though :

1645194005299.png

1645194032895.png

@asu4runner
Coolerman hasn't been around here much lately, but here's his site link.
If you do some searching, I think someone else found another source for the correct connectors.

EDIT - i got the hubs pushed through. i ended up putting a good amount of grease on the felt rings, and using a very small scribe to make sure the felt was seating into the retainer thoroughly, like valve seal packing.

My knuckle kit and wheel cylinders came in, so I decided to go ahead and tear one side down and see what it was like inside the drums. I’ve rebuild countless mini truck front axles but never been inside one of the cruiser axles with the warn barrels and drum brakes. The only thing weird to me really, was the locking ring in place of the outer spindle nut, and the thicker felt ring/retainer inside the drum backing plate. I’m still waiting on my shoes and hardware kit to arrive, any tips on getting the hubs pushed into the felt ring inside the backing plates? Can’t seem to get it pushed in all the way.

Anyways, here’s some before and after pics. Don’t judge my lock wire job, couldn’t find my lock wire pliers so I used some needle nose.

12D8369C-BD75-43AB-B283-78DBA4194AE4.jpeg
6DC61B68-B30E-4971-8C42-924AB91C630C.jpeg
35D13080-C8FD-47F1-ACDA-635D697FC8FD.jpeg
26432EA8-2E33-4DB9-847D-06ABECE30D32.jpeg
5968FC3F-054B-4B31-80C7-A74C5C6118AF.jpeg

Last edited:
guys, i have to say, i fought getting the warn hubs on for way too long. like literally two hours. i could NOT get them to seat correctly. i took the other side apart to see what was wrong, looked the same, and then i couldnt get THAT one back on. so i went for the hail mary and assembled them, then hit two of the bolts with some light impact, seated fine. not sure exactly what the resistance is inside but i pretty much hate these lockouts/hubs. something inside the "barrel" section is providing a spring tension that will not allow you to simply seat it by hand. i have also noticed, that it seems there are no longer rebuild kits for this style hub available. i have some home made gaskets on them for now.. guess i need to keen up on my gasket punching.

Well, I have a bearing stuck on the lower trunion cap for the driver side, had to drop it At a machine shop and see if they could get it off. So I’m at a stand still until it comes back to assemble to driver side. Mirrors arrived from city racer so I went for a quick install, ended up turning into a larger job. Windshield hinge bolts were froze pretty good. One stripped the threads. Drilled, taped, and Helicoil back to m8x1.25 with red loctite to fix.
74E47BCE-869B-40E0-8487-856E893A269A.jpeg
B7FB9572-ACD0-4D3F-AD22-9121AC7A11D8.jpeg
116E24EF-EFB3-4872-BB98-CA88D2345B6B.jpeg
36EED61B-5180-4DFC-92FE-332AD47D73F6.jpeg
EE0955E4-C63D-4F8D-BD0D-A0DAB7B12024.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom