1979 power steering question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A local guy is restoring a 79 pickup with manual steering. His question is, are the 79 to 85 power steering boxes the same dimensions as the manual boxes? Also if anyone would share a few close up pics of how the PS pump mounts to the block that would be super helpful too. Thanks!

Can't help with pictures, but I *believe" the PS box bolts right in place of the manual steering box. At least as far as I could tell comparing the PS and non-PS truck I had sitting at my house a few months ago.

Be sure that you are going from 4x4 to 4x4, as the 2WD boxes are different (at least the power steering box is).

Be sure that you are going from 4x4 to 4x4, as the 2WD boxes are different (at least the power steering box is).
could you expand on this? Is it different in how it mounts or ??
and is that specific to a generation or all trucks that you know of?

The traditional way to put PS in an FJ40 is to use a '79-85 4x4 pickup power steering box, mounted on a custom pedestal. You cannot use a '79-85 2WD PS box. So, that is the context for my answer.

In the OP's case, if he has a 4x4 truck, I'm pretty sure the '79-'85 4x4 PS box will bolt right up to his mount. The PS pump sits in a mounting bracket that is bolted to the 22R engine block. There are parts diagrams online (Partsouq.com and others) that show a blow-up of this. Your dealer can show it to you in the Toyota parts system, too.

The traditional way to put PS in an FJ40 is to use a '79-85 4x4 pickup power steering box, mounted on a custom pedestal. You cannot use a '79-85 2WD PS box. So, that is the context for my answer.

In the OP's case, if he has a 4x4 truck, I'm pretty sure the '79-'85 4x4 PS box will bolt right up to his mount. The PS pump sits in a mounting bracket that is bolted to the 22R engine block. There are parts diagrams online (Partsouq.com and others) that show a blow-up of this. Your dealer can show it to you in the Toyota parts system, too.
Thanks. I'm actually in the same boat and learning all this ojt.

You should be able to find the Toyota diagram through a U.S or Canada based dealer also. Toyota Parts Direct, Cochrane Toyota, maybe Olathe. Can save you a trip through cross town traffic to the bricks and mortar dealer itself.

@Voodoocruisers you probably already know this but the 79 pump is different Than what I found in the FSM for 80 and beyond. BluezClues Build '79 RN37 Pickup - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bluezclues-build-79-rn37-pickup.1246417/post-14299132 this is the pump being rebuilt, Also have a link to the partsouq exploded picture in one of those posts too for you to see. I can get a picture of the bracket when I get back home but I would bet the part number is different between 79 and 80 power steering brackets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom