2013 Fog Light Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im having a problem with my 2013 fog lights. They aren't working. I have replaced the lights (I've tried LED and regular bulbs), the fuse, and the ballast(?). When I rotate the switch, the green light for the fog lights comes on, but the actual lights do not. I have run out of solutions at this point.

Does anyone know where else the problem could be?

Thank you!

Do you have a volt meter? There may be an obvious solution, but you need to test the wiring at different points to see where you are not getting power. It’s likely to be a fuse or relay, but could be a break in the wiring somewhere. Start at one end of the circuit and work you way towards the opposite end.

Im having a problem with my 2013 fog lights. They aren't working. I have replaced the lights (I've tried LED and regular bulbs), the fuse, and the ballast(?). When I rotate the switch, the green light for the fog lights comes on, but the actual lights do not. I have run out of solutions at this point.

Does anyone know where else the problem could be?

Thank you!
There shouldn't be any ballasts for the fogs as they are regular incandescent bulbs. Let's try and figure out what it was that you changed.. where was it?

On second thought.. maybe a previous owner swapped an HID conversion into the fog location? Can you attach some pictures of the bulbs?

There is a small relay in the under-hood fuse box for the fogs.. definitely troubleshoot that. A good method here is to swap that relay with another one of the same size/format from the fuse box. Just locate another one in there that has the same part number and remember where it came from to be able to put things back.

The fact that the light comes on the dash means the switch on your stalk works, and the body control module is "allowing" them to turn on. It will prevent this if high beams are on, due to programming. So at least the first half of the system is working.

There shouldn't be any ballasts for the fogs as they are regular incandescent bulbs. Let's try and figure out what it was that you changed.. where was it?

On second thought.. maybe a previous owner swapped an HID conversion into the fog location? Can you attach some pictures of the bulbs?

There is a small relay in the under-hood fuse box for the fogs.. definitely troubleshoot that. A good method here is to swap that relay with another one of the same size/format from the fuse box. Just locate another one in there that has the same part number and remember where it came from to be able to put things back.

The fact that the light comes on the dash means the switch on your stalk works, and the body control module is "allowing" them to turn on. It will prevent this if high beams are on, due to programming. So at least the first half of the system is working.
Yes. I replaced the fuse and the relay in the fuse box with new Denso parts. The lights were just replaced yesterday while I was getting my oil changed (quick change place). Ill just have to bring it to Autozone or something like that and have them scan it. I guess thats the next step.

Yes. I replaced the fuse and the relay in the fuse box with new Denso parts. The lights were just replaced yesterday while I was getting my oil changed (quick change place). Ill just have to bring it to Autozone or something like that and have them scan it. I guess thats the next step.
I doubt their scanner will give you anything for the fog lights. The only thing that will impact their operation is the body control module and most scanners won't read it. Plus I think feedback from the fogs is limited.

If you've already done the relay then @lx200inAR is correct about using a voltmeter to trace things.

I doubt their scanner will give you anything for the fog lights. The only thing that will impact their operation is the body control module and most scanners won't read it. Plus I think feedback from the fogs is limited.

If you've already done the relay then @lx200inAR is correct about using a voltmeter to trace things.
Damn... Sounds like I got a lot of work ahead of me.

Thanks!

Damn... Sounds like I got a lot of work ahead of me.

Thanks!
Please post what you find to add to the knowledge base here! and any questions on process, post them.

Tracking down electrical stuff isn't particularly difficult once you understand the concepts and can find the individual wires. All of which isn't too difficult with the resources here.

Tracking down electrical stuff isn't particularly difficult once you understand the concepts and can find the individual wires. All of which isn't too difficult with the resources here.

If electrical is easy, then why do most people need mechanical analogies (current = flow, voltage = pressure, bars = foam on a beer, etc.. ) to understand it? :) maybe it’s just me…

On a side note, after installing my new rear bumper tail lights, I tested the blinkers and sure enough, left switch turned on the right blinker and vice versa. Yep, it probably is me.

Last edited:
If electrical is easy, then why do most people need mechanical analogies (current = flow, voltage = pressure, bars = foam on a beer, eat. ) to understand it? :) maybe it’s just me…

On a side note, after installing my new rear bumper tail lights, I tested the blinkers and sure enough, left switch turned on the right blinker and vice versa. Yep, it probably is me.
Fortunately for stuff like tracking down fog lights not working most of that knowledge isn’t needed.

I would say predicting current demands and correctly designing a system isn’t “easy”.. personally. But that isn’t at all what we are talking about here.

I do like beer analogies though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom