Modifications that may lower the value of an 80 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like some input from the collective mind of 80 series owners here. I'm not currently looking to sell my 40th ann '97, but I do have some questions about how to proceed with making it "better".

Are there certain modifications that you feel lower the value of an 80 series?? What are they and why do you think that would have a negative impact?

I.E. - My factory painted sage fender flares are in pretty bad condition. Would putting aftermarket black flares be a subtractor? Would some type of "liner" paint along the rockers be a problem? etc..

Modifications are always subjective. If you are worried about resale value don’t do anything that can’t be put back to stock. If you want to put new flares on keep the original ones for the next owner. As far as bed liner on the rockers color matched would probably be ok but it’s a more permanent modification. You might try something like vvivid’s wrap for a removable option. VVIVID Indestructible Wrap - Black - https://vvividshop.com/collections/automotive/products/vvivid-indestructible-wrap-black

Some may agree or disagree but mounting the 4X4Labs rear bumper which chops the rear frame.

additional holes to mount Kat snake or kit snakes fender flares

Last edited:
Pretty sells. If you have a truck that has a million oil leaks but perfect interior and paint, it will sell for far more than a ugly truck that's mechanically sound. Aftermarket flares might devalue depending on how it turns out. Safer to go with oem flares. Weird home made bumpers, body chopping, odd paint jobs, interior mods that don't really match etc will typically lower value.

Depends on who you are trying to sell it too. Broadly, all mods lower the value if selling to a dealer or major auction site. Original vehicles in good shape always sell for more (unless you put a new V8 or diesel swap). If selling to an enthusiast you can expect to recoup half the value in cost of mods when selling.

No kidding. Do that to any vehicle and it's doomed to be a parts rig as soon as the coating starts to fail and fade.
just pull the factory flares, or mask them, and have a body shop respray them with the factory color. my flares were scorched from UV and now they look fantastic. ESPECIALLY if you have a 40th.

Bedliner, anything irreversible (i.e. chopping crossmember). Aftermarket fender flares would be a negative for me unless they're just held on with 3M tape. Any new holes are an invitation for rust.

From your sig line: 40th Edition, but with wrong interior, a lift and some 315s 285s now. Lots of pinstriping by ScrubOak and some dents by SidewaysSlides.

It would help if we had pics of the 80. Depending on how wrong the interior is and how many dents then any modifications at this point might not matter. On the other hand, if you are thinking about "restoring" it one day to maximize sales price then just avoid permanent modifications (as already mentioned by other posts).

For me pin-striping doesn't devalue the rig, that just shows it's been enjoyed!

I'd say just stick to a mild lift with 33s and sliders. Once you start going crazy and making it more of a dedicated trail rig it becomes more of a niche item.

Some people will pay big money for a pretty mall crawler with ARB bumpers and shiny new paint., but I'd guess that's not the direction you're looking to go with it.

From your sig line: 40th Edition, but with wrong interior, a lift and some 315s 285s now. Lots of pinstriping by ScrubOak and some dents by SidewaysSlides.

It would help if we had pics of the 80. Depending on how wrong the interior is and how many dents then any modifications at this point might not matter. On the other hand, if you are thinking about "restoring" it one day to maximize sales price then just avoid permanent modifications (as already mentioned by other posts).

Here are a few from last year. I've had the ARB front bumper repainted since these were taken and removed the hoopty sliders.

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Well used and well loved. 260K miles. Rebuilt front axle with all new Toyota bearings and seals. Fresh birfs from low mile 80 flipped.

The seats were swapped by a previous owner - he put in plain tan leather and not 2-tone 40th leather. He said his daughter had totaled her 80 and it had better seats.

They are still power and in ok shape. If I can ever order the 40th leather again, I will fix it.

Thanks for all the replies! Very funny stuff, but also kind of confirmed my suspicion that I should keep the factory flares and fix them.

Here are a few from last year. I've had the ARB front bumper repainted since these were taken and removed the hoopty sliders.

View attachment 2924100

View attachment 2924102

View attachment 2924103

Well used and well loved. 260K miles. Rebuilt front axle with all new Toyota bearings and seals. Fresh birfs from low mile 80 flipped.

The seats were swapped by a previous owner - he put in plain tan leather and not 2-tone 40th leather. He said his daughter had totaled her 80 and it had better seats.

They are still power and in ok shape. If I can ever order the 40th leather again, I will fix it.

Thanks for all the replies! Very funny stuff, but also kind of confirmed my suspicion that I should keep the factory flares and fix them.
Nice truck! Does it have the original head gasket?

Thats a nice looking 80. Value is subjective, of course. For me just about any modifications will lower the appeal, especially a big lift and aftermarket wheels. The ARB bumper is an exception. Lack of 40th front seats is a minus.

Something to consider. Maybe sell your 40th anniversary and get a cheaper 80 series that's not as 'special'?

My triple locked 80 series is a LX450 and cost me 8k. I'll modify it however I want in any way I want and drive it how I want, because it's just a 'Lexus' after all. Lol.

Frame modifications are a done deal for any car, could end up on the history report someday. I've noticed any truck that has been bed lined usually already had/has rust problems. Cheap aftermarket seats. Poorly executed engine swap. Poorly executed wire jobs. Cheap aftermarket parts and mods, like Chinese ARB locker knockoffs. Cheap paint jobs that change from the OE color and don't cover the engine bay/door jambs.

That's all I can think of but all this kind of goes for any car/truck.

Last edited:
Something to consider. Maybe sell your 40th anniversary and get a cheaper 80 series that's not as 'special'?

My triple locked 80 series is a LX450 and cost me 8k. I'll modify it however I want in any way I want and drive it how I want, because it's just a 'Lexus' after all. Lol.
THIS has definitely been something I have considered. Especially because I don't want to mess up a 40th and an older 80 would allow for modifications (county emissions laws are looser on '95 and older) and I'd have a bit less regret if I bang it up on the rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom