What is this noise when I push in the clutch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian az

SILVER Star
Threads
I first noticed this rattling noise after replacing the clutch master and slave cylinders. I think it sounds worse in this video than it does in person.

are you talking about when the throw out bearing first makes contact with the preasure plate?
is the bearing on the hub correctly?

I really don’t think those would have anything to do w/ that noise.

I misread the question, I thought it stated you replaced the clutch recently, not the slave and master.

Could be:

• Pilot bearing
  • Throw out (release) bearing
  • Not genuine Toyota slave cylinder or wrong type for your year of vehicle.
The ‘86 and ‘87 FJ60s slave cylinder puts a constant pressure on the throw out bearing. The bearing is in constant contact with the clutch springs - and is always spinning.

Some aftermarket slave cylinders don’t have as strong of an internal spring, so don’t put enough pressure on the T.O. bearing- so it slides on the springs instead of grabbing them - and it makes noise as it’s rubbing.
(That’s one explanation)

If the pilot bearing is shot, the input shaft will break free its tight interference fit of the inner race of the bearing and spin inside it - rubbing on the race while it makes an unpleasant noise while grinding down the input shaft tip.
(That’s another possibility)

Or the throw out bearing is shot and maybe the new hydraulics now allow more pressure to be applied to it and it’s now making noise.

Last edited:
👆 this guy saves the day. Was your slave cylinder aftermarket? Or maybe wrong year part. 84 and before is adjustable. Thereafter they are not. @OSS could say for sure.

9807AEBD-6E82-491C-A31E-357DF0507DB1.png

Last edited:
Could be:

• Pilot bearing
  • Throw out (release) bearing
  • Not genuine Toyota slave cylinder or wrong type for your year of vehicle.
The ‘86 and ‘87 FJ60s slave cylinder puts a constant pressure on the throw out bearing. The bearing is in constant contact with the clutch springs - and is always spinning.

Some aftermarket slave cylinders don’t have as strong of an internal spring, so don’t put enough pressure on the T.O. bearing- so it slides on the springs instead of grabbing them - and it makes noise as it’s rubbing.
(That’s one explanation)

If the pilot bearing is shot, the input shaft will break free its tight interference fit of the inner race of the bearing and spin inside it - rubbing on the race while it makes an unpleasant noise while grinding down the input shaft tip.
(That’s another possibility)

Or the throw out bearing is shot and maybe the new hydraulics now allow more pressure to be applied to it and it’s now making noise.

Very helpful, thank you. I just ordered on OEM slave cylinder from Toyota. I’ll start there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom