Android tablet style head units (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zooguy

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm wanting to upgrade from my factory 1999 Land cruiser radio to something aftermarket. My Land cruiser does not have navigation.

I really want to get one of the Android tablet style touch screen radios that way I can load my maps from Google or other GPS apps, I want to be able to run the torque app, connect my phone to it ect.

What are you guys running for head units and how much do you like them as far as fitment goes and if you did the installation how difficult was it.

Separate head unit and Samsung tablet for Gaia, Torque App, etc. Over the holidays I looked to upgrade the tablet to a more recent version but didn't find any really good deals, so am going to have to bite the bullet soon for a replacement. (The tablet now sits in one of @BenCC's excellent Ram mounts attached to where the coin tray sat.)

samsung-galaxy-tablet-s2-4-jpg.1868072

Why not a good h/u with android auto that connects to your phone either wired or wirelessly?

Just ordered one of these, look very good made to fit straight into the dash, connects to OBD2. Ill let you know what its like.

Just ordered one of these, look very good made to fit straight into the dash, connects to OBD2. Ill let you know what its like.
Which Memory did you choose?

I picked up an ATOTO A6 (Amazon product ASIN B07CMV84L2) a couple of years ago, but do not recommend it. It's painfully slow to do anything, really. Yes, it'll run Torque. Yes, it'll run Google Maps or Gaia. Yes, it'll play music from your library. Yes, it'll run Pandora. But you have to choose only one at a time. Switching between any of them can take up to 5 minutes, no joke.

I think Android could be a workable platform for a head unit, but next time I'll play closer attention to what version of Android is being run. If it's 3 flavors behind what's on your phone, you can bet the processor is dated and/or their OS development is sub-par. Either would make for a disappointing experience, both together is painful.

I'll replace it with something better soon.

I picked up an ATOTO A6 (Amazon product ASIN B07CMV84L2) a couple of years ago, but do not recommend it. It's painfully slow to do anything, really. Yes, it'll run Torque. Yes, it'll run Google Maps or Gaia. Yes, it'll play music from your library. Yes, it'll run Pandora. But you have to choose only one at a time. Switching between any of them can take up to 5 minutes, no joke.

I think Android could be a workable platform for a head unit, but next time I'll play closer attention to what version of Android is being run. If it's 3 flavors behind what's on your phone, you can bet the processor is dated and/or their OS development is sub-par. Either would make for a disappointing experience, both together is painful.

I'll replace it with something better soon.
My Android headunit is super fast, zippy and the touch screen is capacitive like most phones. Buttery smooth. With 6gb ram I can run multiple apps with no glitches or stalling.

My Android headunit is super fast, zippy and the touch screen is capacitive like most phones. Buttery smooth. With 6gb ram I can run multiple apps with no glitches or stalling.
Care to share what model it is?

Care to share what model it is?
ZOHONG T9 model. $325 shipped
US $105.00 40%OFF | DSP 6+128G For Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Android Car Radio Multimedia Player Video Autoradio GPS Navigation Stereo Head Unit LX470

KIMG3534 (1).JPG
KIMG3536 (1).JPG

What mount is that? Did you make the part for the dash?
The dash mount is a @BenCC creation. The full size tablet is justttttt a bit too heavy when slamming down the dirt roads it kind of rattles. For around town it's sweet . When off roading I switch it to the ram mount pole that attaches to the rail of the seat , that thing is solid.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this question. I am in the same boat...I want to modernize the stereo, preferably with something that will mirror a phone screen, and I also want to replace/update the finicky HVAC controls. I see a few options but they don't seem trustworthy

I did the Tesla style android head unit linked in post 7 about 3 years ago and it has been great. Liked it enough that I did something similar in my 2017 Subaru as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom