Roof Rack Sealant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off I know this has been discussed quite a bit. But my case is a bit different. I installed my front runner about two weeks ago kind of in a rush (I should have done it right the first time when I had more time). After reading some threads and seeing how other people mounted their Front Runner rack made me question my entire process since I missed a few key things. Like adding sealant on all the spacers required. I went and ripped everything out.

Of course that Permatex Black ripped up some of the factory paint with it. So the last few days I’ve been removing all the reside with WD-40 and have since touched up the area with touch up paint and clear coat so there is a good smooth surface.

Now I’m questioning if first I should use the Permatex again or if people prefer something more durable longer lasting? Looking for specific brand call outs?

Second, if I do use Permatex again, or something else I’m concerned the surface has been compromised and what I use will not seal correctly. Maybe I’m just thinking this through too much.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Permatex black on both the tacoma and the GX here… been several years with no problems. Both live outside, so they see plenty of rain and snow.

Permatex black on both the tacoma and the GX here… been several years with no problems. Both live outside, so they see plenty of rain and snow.
Thanks. Is that just the Permatex Black sealant or black RTV gasket maker?

I just know as an engineer that silicone is very durable, heat resistant, UV resistant, chemical resistant, etc.
You won't ever go wrong with RTV unless it's the wrong color! o_O

I’ve been thinking. Does anyone know if you can place RTV over butyle tape? I was thinking of making butyle gaskets on the bottom which touched the vehicle and just around the white tubes and spacers put a little bit of silicone…

@r2m you have a ton of info/wisdom. Is that what use used for your setup Permatex RTV?

I’ve been thinking. Does anyone know if you can place RTV over butyle tape? I was thinking of making butyle gaskets on the bottom which touched the vehicle and just around the white tubes and spacers put a little bit of silicone…
You could just use silicone sheets and make a gasket for what you need. We do that in R&D quite often when we need to build test tanks.

@r2m you have a ton of info/wisdom. Is that what use used for your setup Permatex RTV?
For this overlander (my third one) I did not do a lot of the heavy work on it, e.g. armor, winch, suspension, etc.
But when they put the rack on, it was kind of cattywampus. The mounting kit allows for several heights and one side was higher than the other.
This caused some leaking down my headliner inside. I took it back to them and they straightened it out and RTV'ed all the mounting points.
It's been several years and a lot of car washes, storms and so on. No leaks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom