1FZ-FE head sensor ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
I have a broken head sensor that I need to ID. The truck is a JUL1995 model, US spec. The photos show the intake side, front is to the left. The sensor photo wouldn't cooperate; the order shown is top-bottom = front to back.

The first (leftmost, or front) sensor should be Gage assy, water (83420-16040)
the second sensor should be Thermistor assy (88790-60050)
the third, I can't find in the parts diagrams.

It's clearly not the same as 83420-16040, that one has a 14mm thread. The port in the head is 10mm.

Intake side sensors.jpg

Intake side with sensors.jpg

Intake side, with sensorsw.jpg

Last edited:

sensors temp.jpg

The ECT sensor which I bought new, IIRC, came with the washer. The others, which I also bought new from T, came with loctite on the threads.

Last edited:
Yeah, lost that battle already; 1 of 2 disintegrated. The entire engine harness on the intake side is rotten.

View attachment 2918575

The ECT sensor which I bought new, IIRC, came with the washer. The others, which I also bought new from T, came with loctite on the threads.
Many, many thanks! I still can't find that on any parts diagram. PartSouq lists it as

SENSOR, DIESEL ENGINE WATER TEMPERATURE

for some odd reason. Now all I have to find is the harness connector housing :(

Many, many thanks! I still can't find that on any parts diagram. PartSouq lists it as

SENSOR, DIESEL ENGINE WATER TEMPERATURE

for some odd reason. Now all I have to find is the harness connector housing :(

You're always so helpful, good to pay ya back. I'm clueless on the connector as I just used a new engine wire harness as part of my long block build.

Big ups to @flintknapper for the most excellent visual. Good luck.

View attachment 2918575

I got a close up look at the ECT sensors recently and the gauge sensor and AC cutout switch seal into the head on a taper that is below the threads. Ingenious design. The ECT sensor for the ECM seals on the surface with a washer. I can only surmise Toyota did this to prevent mixing them up?

I got a close up look at the ECT sensors recently and the gauge sensor and AC cutout switch seal into the head on a taper that is below the threads. Ingenious design. The ECT sensor for the ECM seals on the surface with a washer. I can only surmise Toyota did this to prevent mixing them up?
That's my guess, too, but IMHO, it was much ado about nothing. There's no magic in those switches.

Here's a little nugget (post #5649) that will hopefully help someone else:

I either managed to destroy the ECT gauge sensor (83420-16040) harness connector housing, or it just rotted in place and waited for me to pull the head until it STB. At any rate, I need a new one. Fortunately, they still appear to be available (MTF on that): 90980-11428. Oddly enough, you can get aftermarket connector housings for the ECT sensor (89422-35010), which is a two terminal housing, but not the other, which is a one terminal housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom