Odd issue after installing CityRacer LED's 05/70 FJ55 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had four 40s a 72, two 77s and a 78. All of them had a single flasher that was used with the turn signals and hazards. What year(s) of 40 have multiple flashers?
Just a rumor i heard, apparently incorrect. I don't know diddly about 40s

I was hoping to take the easy way out; return the LED's and I ordered the upgraded Halogen kit instead. It arrived today. ToyotaMatt had suggested it could be a hazard switch issue I was dealing with so before I installed the Halogens - I reinstalled my original lights as I had not checked my hazard switch. With original lights installed- the hazards are not functioning, but everything else functioned as it should. Then I checked with the LED's installed and still the hazards did not work.

After installing the upgraded Halogen kit-
In low beam postion- left turn signal- left indicator blinks and right indicator light is dim and blinks.
right turn signal- right indicator blinks and left indicator light is dim and blinks.

In high beam positon- left turn signal- right indicator light blinks
- right turn signal- left indicator light blinks
With original lights- no issues other than hazard not working

But then this happened- took it for a drive tonight- In low beam position- when I moved the blinker to left turn - the headlights started to flash. It happened a couple a times as I drove around the neighborhood, but not every time. Then the kicker- as I pulled into the driveway, I thought I would try the hazards again. When I pulled the switch - it turned on the headlight high beams. Turned off the switch- back to low beam. Tried it again- nothing.

So- who the f&&k knows. I went with the halogens- to keep it simple ,not spend a lot of money and to not chase gremlins. But, I guess it is time to chase gremlins as this is my everyday driver and not something that I would have to just occasionally deal with.

I am going to pull the hazard switch and clean some contacts and maybe order a new turn signal assembly.::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

When I had the issue with my M1097A2 I also went thru and cleaned every ground wire I could find/get to with relative ease. Have you tried cleaning the connections? Your truck is older than mine and I had corrosion on several connections. My truck only had 2,500 miles on it when I bought it. It’s such an issue on the trucks that they now sell aftermarket grounding harnesses. Supplemental Grounding Harness, Non-Turbo - Black Dog Customs - https://blackdogcustoms.com/product/supplemental-grounding-harness-non-turbo/

Although I might have been experiencing galvanic corrosion??? Since the body is aluminum.

What year(s) of 40 have multiple flashers?

7/70 the 71 model is when hazards and turn signals shared the same flasher. 68-70 all had hazards with the switch in the dash. 65-67 seem hit or miss if they had hazards. Those that did was a switch mounted to the bottom of the dash. The flasher was s separate one mounted to the firewall left of the steering column. Turn signal flasher was on the firewall right of the heater.

Took apart and cleaned/polished the brass parts of the hazard switch. Put it back together and now have functioning hazard lights.
1 piece at a time. Now to keep cleaning and checking grounds.

Took apart and cleaned/polished the brass parts of the hazard switch. Put it back together and now have functioning hazard lights.
🤞🏻 This will fix your problem. I’d hang on to the LED lights and hook them back up once you’ve cleaned all the grounds. But that’s me….the LED’s vs the regular bulbs in the headlights and the turn signals is a drastic improvement.

I also learned that we should be using red LED’s in the brake lights and amber LED’s in the turn signals instead of white/clear LED’s in the brake and amber lights. I thought I had a pic of a side by side comparison of the difference but now I can’t find it.

Last edited:
🤞🏻 This will fix your problem. I’d hang on to the LED lights and hook them back up once you’ve cleaned all the grounds. But that’s me….the LED’s vs the regular bulbs in the headlights and the turn signals is a drastic improvement.

I also learned that we should be using red LED’s in the brake lights and amber LED’s in the turn signals instead of white/clear LED’s in the brake and amber lights. I thought I had a pic of a side by side comparison of the difference but now I can’t find it.

City Racer LED KIT In my clients 1/798 FJ55LG-KA usa spec / @Racer65

DSCN8101.JPG

Screenshot_2019-06-21 VintageTEqParts com.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom