Let's swap a motor and do some other stuff to a 60.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And that was my week......and I thought I was going to be finished up with the interior and starting to pull a motor :)

As soon as we were back working, I started in on the quarters with sound deadening. They were dirty but immaculate. Hard to believe how good. I cleaned them, stuck on some sound deadener and then slopped on Spectrum.

Look at how clean these things were.....incredible. My 92 Troopy from the Middle East didn't have quarters this clean. I was shocked.

20220107_113329.jpeg
20220107_113353.jpeg

After everything had dried, I started down a road I hate going down. I like to use an MLV or mass loaded vinyl under the carpeting(or vinyl flooring in other trucks)....the MLV is a 3/8" thick rubber/foam mat that helps reduce sound waves traveling around the interior....like road noise. The Damplifier Pro stick on sound deadener and Spectrum help to reduce the sound in the metal....but the MLV gets it out of the air. In my other trucks that have it, they feel very dead inside....they're just solid.

Second Skin's product is Luxury Liner Pro. It weighs 1.25 pounds per sq. foot...it's ridiculous how heavy a roll is.

The downside to this stuff is that it changes the dimensions of the floor quite a bit.....it's an absolute bear to get the carpet or vinyl to fit tight over it. I usually remove the jute backing off the carpet to help control the thickness.....this helps but in areas like the shifter and places where things are mounted to sheetmetal.....it takes some patience(lots of patience) and some skill to make it look right. it also needs to be overlapped or butted up to itself....full coverage....no gaps. Not easy.

I used it in front and the middle. In the rear of the truck I used jute(supplied with carpet) and I went with a much thinner rubber MLV, no foam.

No pics of the 60.....but here is one of our 79 builds with it....

20190606_171433.jpg
20190606_171642.jpg
20190611_172253.jpg

So once that puzzle of a job is done it was time for the ACC carpet to go in. Probably an easy fit over steel floors and if you have stock carpeting to use as a guide for cutouts....NOT easy to do if you have nothing to go off and your floors are 1/2" thicker than they should be :)

I spent almost a week messing around with the carpet.....I will never do that job again. And for the record, the ACC carpet kits are not all that good. OK for the money but disappointing. I should have had the interior guys build a custom carpet set for it. Turned out good in the end but a tough job.

As usual, the dog will park it on anything on the floor.....maybe she was helping get the wrinkles out.

20220107_113747.jpeg

Fairly happy with it.....there are some weird wrinkles on the top of the shifter area....haven't yet finished that area up since we're pulling the trans out soon.

20220127_083253.jpeg
20220127_083300.jpeg
20220127_083308.jpeg

Now this area was a real challenge......I had the original vinyl wheel well covers but I wanted to use carpet. Talked to my interior guy and he said either we build new vinyl ones or use the supplied carpet and glue those to the very form fitted OEM liners. I chose to do that. I love spraying contact adhesive any chance I get....I feel like I know what I'm doing when I break out the spray gun and glue.

These turned out good. Rear carpet is not fully down and the side panels are loose in this pic. Far from perfect if you really look at them closely but how many people are going to be looking at it that closely :)

20220112_173154.jpeg

The rear will take a little more work....I need to lock it down under the rear scuff plate and then stretch it under the side panels once I finish those up. This carpet was in the box for a couple years....had a lot of deep wrinkles in it.

I've done carpet work before...seems it always takes a bunch of very small adjustments to get it right.
20220112_173148_1.jpeg

This is how it will fit when I'm done....nice. Then I'll immediately get a rear cargo mat so the carpet never gets dirty :)
20220126_111427_1.jpeg

When I first got the truck, I had put a JVC head unit it.....a mechless one. I wanted it because I could change the color to green to match that beautiful dash gauge lighting. I'm not a huge stereo guy but I'm figuring it out more and more. I forget what speakers are in the front doors...some kind of component speaker. I think the window was hitting them....made some changes(put in some sound deadening in the front doors while I was there) and got them sorted out. They sound pretty good so no need to change them.

I went for a set of JBL GTO 6x9s for the rear....I use their 6.5" shallow mounts on the 79 series trucks and they are great. I wanted a little more punch but didn't want an amp and all that non-sense......so I got one of these. An 8" JBL sub for under the seat. Very cool and it sounds great to my amateur ears. This will be perfect for my needs in this truck. With all the sound deadening, stereos end up sounding very good.

Obviously the rear heater got deleted for this thing. I can't imagine ever needing the rear heater because Florida :)
20220118_143247.jpeg

Forgot to take a pic with the seat in....it's just barely visible....but the adjustments are all accessible without taking the seat out. Bonus.

Curious on your thoughts about the Second Skin Audio's Damplifier Pro sound deadener. With the master series put down first and then this applied do you think it’s hard/tough enough daily use with no carpet? My carpet is trash and not putting another one in. Headliner too. So looking at this as an option with a foam layer overtop. Thoughts? We live in a rain forest and keeping the interior dry is my main objective. Great build thank you for posting.

Curious on your thoughts about the Second Skin Audio's Damplifier Pro sound deadener. With the master series put down first and then this applied do you think it’s hard/tough enough daily use with no carpet? My carpet is trash and not putting another one in. Headliner too. So looking at this as an option with a foam layer overtop. Thoughts? We live in a rain forest and keeping the interior dry is my main objective. Great build thank you for posting.
I would for sure strip those floors down all the way( I would feel most comfortable removing the OEM sound deadener in the front at a minimum) and get 3 solid coats of Master Series on it. Good solid heavy coats....especially in areas like where the floor meets the rocker/sill.....all those seams where the metal is stacked. It's thick enough that it will fill in that seam. I'd probably spray in some Spectrum....a good 1-2mm of it. Since Spectrum can be used as undercoating, it's going to be durable enough as your top coat but I'd probably be inclined to spray some Raptor on top of it. Easy to clean up and it's SUPER strong stuff. You can do it in any color.

We did this in my Troopy build....these floors were structurally sound with some surface rust where there wasn't OEM sound deadening. We removed all the OEM deadener, ran a wire wheel over the rust, power washed it and had at it with the Master Series.

20200305_071931_1.jpg

Originally I was only planning on running front vinyl floors with nothing in the rear....so in the front, we applied Dampifier Pro to the floors over the Master series....I taped down all edges with foil tape so there was a smooth transition between the edge of the Damplifier(it's thick....2mm) and the floor. We sprayed our Spectrum in on this build since we were top coating it with Raptor bed liner(I wanted it smooth and uniform). This was not a cover every square inch of metal with Damplifier install....I tried to get about 60% coverage in it. Basically enough Damplifier to keep the floors from sounding like a tin can.

20200324_181210_1.jpg
20200324_181215_1.jpg

We top coated with color matched Raptor.....it's a little heavier texture than I like due to the Spectrum's finish(I don't believe we sanded the Spectrum). VERY very durable. Just remember to let that Spectrum cure 7 days at a minimum.

20200403_090655_1.jpg
20200403_090740_1.jpg

Last edited:
For the rear, I didn't need sound deadener....this truck is a 1FZ powered truck.....it's very quiet compared to a diesel truck so we didn't do much. Prepped the floors, Master Series, sprayed in Raptor. I used a finer texture(I use Raptor's Pro gun....has adjustable texture patterns)....we usually thin the Raptor out to the max suggested amount too.....really helps keep the texture to a minimum. In hindsight, I would have sprayed Spectrum back here but since this was going to be more of a utility truck, I wasn't going to run a vinyl floor....so I wouldn't have cared about texture. This truck is like a tomb inside.
20200313_081815_1 2.jpg

Raptor on the floors....very smooth with that low texture spray.
20200313_184811_1.jpg

Close up of the Raptor

20200313_184323_1.jpg

Here's how it ended up....

20200626_165100.jpg

For the roof, I found this to be a killer setup.......we use it on a lot of our builds when the headliner is out. There are a couple of ways to do it depending on what you need out of the look. For headliners that go back in, we use Second Skin's Megazorb or Heat Wave Pro....cuts out heat big time and obviously decreases unwanted sound. For the Troopy, since I wasn't using a headliner, I used a product called Thermozite. It's a foil backed acoustic and thermal barrier.....amazing stuff. Looks great too.

Damplifier Pro in strategic areas....

20200302_102414.jpg

Spectrum goes on next.
20200302_182704.jpg

Thermozite.....foil side goes towards the heat source in this application so foil side up
20200415_143434.jpg

Contact adhesive to apply it. It's a little tough to get right in the corners but very easy to splice in pieces if needed. I had to do that in a couple of spots...no big deal.

20200415_151548.jpg

Finished product. Fantastic product....I'd have no problems using this as my headliner in a 60 if I had a really beat up factory one.
20200416_173012_1.jpg

This is how the sub looks under the front seat...pretty much disappears
20220203_073219.jpg
20220203_073230.jpg

Pretty simple head unit....I gravitate towards head units that have volume knobs these days. Forgot I had added an inclinometer where the cubby was....going to probably lose the ashtray next so I can run an OLED display for my gauges....going to monitor a few different parameters on the motor that's going in :)

20220203_074458.jpg

Thanks for the details and info on Thermozite. Looks to be a good option for my headliner-less 55

The Thermozite was a good find for sure....kind of does everything you could possibly want.

While I had the interior apart, I took some time and cleaned the seats. I had one cushion(typical drivers side outer lower bolster) repaired when I got the truck so no real repairs needed to be done.

I bought a brush to put in my drill like all those cool YouTube detail guys do.....wow what a great setup that was. I used a couple specific cleaners, some Dawn Ultra spray and settled on some good ol' 409. It did an incredible job. The seats are so clean...hard to believe.

Again....no real pics but what I found kind of funny is that when I bought the truck, I marveled at how clean the interior was. Turns out it wasn't that clean.

The right side was after one cleaning.....the amount of dirt coming out of the fabric after being agitated was gross. The foam looked like the color of a Wendy's Frosty. Yikes. I kept going until the foam was more like a vanilla Frosty and less like a chocolate one 😑

20211227_114951.jpeg
20211227_180723.jpeg

I had bought a used rear seat, took the fabric off of it and had my center console armrest covered. I love it. Looks super cool.
The dog was quite confused with the seats out of the truck I think.....and those paws are hardly clean. This was before cleaning.
20220103_173612.jpeg

Cleaned.....dog is lucky I like her and let her sit in on those clean seats.

20220105_072155_1.jpeg

With the exception of a little bit of fading, the interior has probably never looked better.

20220118_164525.jpeg

While I had everything out, I sent my seatbelts to Safety Restore to have them re-webbed. I hate old stiff gross seatbelts as much as the next guy so spending some money refreshing these is money well spent in my book. The turnaround with these guys is stunning....they had them coming back to me in a day. Amazing. We've worked with them before, never any issues.

I think I went with light grey. Didn't do the rears....color matched nicely.

20220127_083441.jpeg
20220127_083458.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom