4 Hours for a fuel filter! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am planning on changing out the shocks and springs on my LC. I am wondering if that would be a good time to also do the filter. With those out of the way make it easier ?
I don't believe it would help to have the shocks and springs out of the way. The shock tower will still prevent you from any type of easy access to that little demon they refer to as a fuel filter. I am with everyone else... A long extension straight up from the bottom, plenty of light, more time than you expect and a strong will to do maintenance that is apparently questionably necessary. But either way good luck and I hope that you have a better time than I did with it.

I don't believe it would help to have the shocks and springs out of the way. The shock tower will still prevent you from any type of easy access to that little demon they refer to as a fuel filter. I am with everyone else... A long extension straight up from the bottom, plenty of light, more time than you expect and a strong will to do maintenance that is apparently questionably necessary. But either way good luck and I hope that you have a better time than I did with it.
Thank you for your insight and encouragement.-Dan

I didn’t notch the filter bracket either; didn’t have to. I found accessing the filter bracket bolts from directly under the truck was the easiest and most straight-forward angle of attack.
I had no access to the driver side at all so tire stayed on, and i did the same with extensions with a wobble one in the middle and the very end to sort of go around stuff. Didn't notch either but i think i did jam one bolt head in to a socket with paper and feed that pump all the way up hanging on that bolt to get it started. Took me 2 something hours i believe and most of that was banjo bolt studying haha. I am glad i had a tiny garage that time because it started out with me looking up from the floor and thinking "that the fuel filter?" And then i figured let me see if i can get to those bolts. I should have removed the banjo bolts first but, we live and learn. I never do anything the easy way so i sure didn't want to start on that job.

On a different note, @Desertmedic80 your writing style is incredibly amusing, your metaphors are magical, and I think you need to write more threads.

I follow @BILT4ME mindset for timing projects. X2 + 30 (except in my case, it's 30 months...)
If I can't be helpful with my vast amount of technical knowledge and years of automotive experience I can at least be entertaining and give someone a chuckle at my expense.

First time I replaced the fuel filter on a FZJ80 it probably took me most of a weekend, half of the time was spent figuring which tools to use. Next time it took maybe one day (afternoon). Third time should take no more than four hours (including the time to jack up the vehicle, put two jack stands in place, fiddle with other things in that area, have lunch, etc,etc).

Putting some grease on the washers for the fuel lines/banjo bolts helps stick the washers in place while you're trying to line up the banjo bolt.

FWIW

Last edited:
Does anyone know the specs of the banjo bolt on the fuel rail? Same as the one at the fuel tank by chance?

Does anyone know the specs of the banjo bolt on the fuel rail? Same as the one at the fuel tank by chance?
If you mean the one at the firewall end of the fuel rail, it's 22 ft-lbs.

Screenshot_20220201-192800_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

It looks like all the union and flare connections for fuel are 22 ft-lbs.

Screenshot_20220201-193024_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

It could also be that the Toyota engineers put it there because it was a "lifetime" filter since it doesn't have a service interval so why put it anywhere else. I mean they even painted the thing black so it'd be hard to see. Not that I've seen every thread on here but has anyone posted up a fueling problem that was solved solely by replacing the fuel filter? I have seen a bunch of people replacing them as PM. It'd be interesting to flow test a 200k plus mile filter next to a new one. I'd wager a nickel there wouldn't be any significant difference.
So there’s no point to changing it as PM? Only if there’s an obvious fueling issue?

Or have people seen benefits to changing it preemptively?

Or have people seen benefits to changing it preemptively?
If you see tangible benefits, then it wasn't preemptive maintenance.

Preemptive maintenance is so that you aren't stuck doing a repair, particularly when you're 200 miles from home, on the side of the road, on a rainy night.

Fuel filter life is entirely dependent upon the quality of gasoline you're getting and the condition of your gas tank and fuel lines.

fuel filter is a PM item on all my vehicles. Only picked up 45 seconds on the 1/4 mile but i guess it is all relative right? next time I will do banjo bolts from above first, then get at it the same way from under on my back, but will use safety glasses this time. last time i got alot in my eyes.

If you see tangible benefits, then it wasn't preemptive maintenance.

Preemptive maintenance is so that you aren't stuck doing a repair, particularly when you're 200 miles from home, on the side of the road, on a rainy night.

Fuel filter life is entirely dependent upon the quality of gasoline you're getting and the condition of your gas tank and fuel lines.
Yea I just want sure if it was a common cause of break downs or just sapped a little power of old and gummed up. Regardless it seems like a good thing to do if you already have the throttle body off to replace hoses etc.

It was easy on me, but if i take the intake plenum off, guess what is getting changed again?! they are not expensive.

Yea I just want sure if it was a common cause of break downs or just sapped a little power of old and gummed up.

I doubt there's been even 1 thread on mud where a dirty fuel filter has left someone stranded on the side of the road or been accused of sapping power. Especially in the US where gasoline quality is typically high. Cutting open a fuel filter to see what appears to be dirty filter material isn't really helpful unless you get a flow reading off it before and compare it to a new one. Anyone doing a fuel filter change want to send me the old filter so I can science the s*** out of it?

T-minus 10 minutes until someone proves me wrong on my first point. :flipoff2:

I might have my old fuel filter still. Might be worth some sciencing. That would be a good idea. I have def experienced fuel filter issues on other vehicles that have left me stranded temporarily here in the good ole USA. You could be right that the 80 maybe more resilient than other vehicles in that respect. I will say that at least the fzj80 in the US does not allow for quick recovery if it does cause issues due to the location. I think quality gas is only one part and the other is condition of tank and fuel lines feeding the engine. Those were the issues on other vehicles previously that clogged the filters.

I doubt there's been even 1 thread on mud where a dirty fuel filter has left someone stranded on the side of the road or been accused of sapping power. Especially in the US where gasoline quality is typically high. Cutting open a fuel filter to see what appears to be dirty filter material isn't really helpful unless you get a flow reading off it before and compare it to a new one. Anyone doing a fuel filter change want to send me the old filter so I can science the s*** out of it?

T-minus 10 minutes until someone proves me wrong on my first point. :flipoff2:

Off of my 100 series when I got it.

There's just no way this can be 'good'....whether or not it leaves you stranded.

As an analogy:

Just because you haven't had a 'stroke' yet, doesn't mean plaque in your arteries should just be ignored. ;)

FF2.jpg

FF3.jpg

Yikes! How rusty was the inside of your tank?

Tank was perfect. I looked closely when I installed a new fuel pump. Something about the metal in the fuel filter doesn't like water/moisture.

Tank was perfect. I looked closely when I installed a new fuel pump. Something about the metal in the fuel filter doesn't like water/moisture.
No kidding? All that rust was from the case of the filter itself?

(Edit: first => filter, stupid gesture typing)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom