Diesel Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anybody help me figure out why my car won't start and what part is leaking? It was running fine the last time I drove it but there was a massive leak i noticed. Smells like diesel. I can't attach the files so I sent it as a link.

can you upload the pictures in a different way? I don't see anything but a prompt about logging into my icloud account

your first video seems to be showing the leak is occurring directly under the fuel pump. is there a specific spot at the bottom where it is leaking? here is a bad picture of mine but maybe you are pointing at something specific that you see in my picture?
IMG_0564.jpg

your first video seems to be showing the leak is occurring directly under the fuel pump. is there a specific spot at the bottom where it is leaking? here is a bad picture of mine but maybe you are pointing at something specific that you see in my picture?View attachment 2912313
i've been trying to search for the leak, but I can't spot exactly where it is coming from. Should I just replace the whole entire injector pump, or continue to remove it?

A new injector pump is like $3000+ on partsouq. I would think a rebuild would be a better route. I am new to these vehicles so I don't know how common servicing the injector pump is. Seems like a lot of fuel is coming out of it, maybe a gasket gave way

A new injector pump is like $3000+ on partsouq. I would think a rebuild would be a better route. I am new to these vehicles so I don't know how common servicing the injector pump is. Seems like a lot of fuel is coming out of it, maybe a gasket gave way
would you know anyone in louisiana or texas that could rebiuld that?

It's a sign of leaking seals on your injector pump. It's a pain, but actually not a "critical" issue if the car is running fine, and the fuel isn't literally gushing out. It's also not really a fire risk. This is diesel, not gasoline, so you could hold a lit match against it and it'd put the match out rather than start a fire. I left my injector pump with a diesel leak at the injector pump for around 2 years until I could get it rebuilt.

As for what to do about it, you do need to get the pump rebuilt. It could just be the seals themselves, but it's also not unusual for the housings themselves to wear, meaning a new seal won't last. It's also just a good idea to do on a pump this age, as there is wear over time.

I would very, VERY strongly discourage attempting to rebuild the pump yourself. It's a lot more involved than a full engine rebuild IMO. That said, if you want to check it out, you'll find the full Denso parts catalog and rebuild/calibration instructions for the pump a bit down in this thread:

That's your question about the injector pump. I'll bet 50 bucks that has nothing to do with your car not starting though. Can you give some more detail? Does it turn over, but not fire? If so, I'd bet the diaphragm on the fuel primer pump has deteriorated and is letting in air. Pump the fuel primer like a SOB, until you feel a lot of resistance and you basically can't press it in any more, then try and crank while stepping on the accelerator repeatedly. Will probably fire up in 5-10 seconds. If so, replace your fuel primer pump, and all the hoses/clips in that area while you're at it.

And I'd ignore the injector pump for a few years and keep on driving. If you can't do that, maybe source a rebuilt pump complete from overseas, and fit it when you're so inclined. Maybe next time you change the timing belt.

Go to the "diesel tech" section of the forum.
Search for ACSD removal.
ACSD is "automatic cold start device".
They are prone to failure, and can leave parts floating around in the pump. Not good.

Not 100% clear in your video what's going on.

If it's leaking bad enough they you're getting air into the injector pump, you'll have trouble starting it.
Injectors only open when fuel pressure overcomes spring preload. Air in the fuel acts as a cushion and will prevent injectors from opening.

Does it start if you preprint with the hand pump at the fuel filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom