Need my FJ40 Doors restored ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for a Southern California shop/ person who could restore my driver and passenger doors ( the guts ). The interior lock / openers don’t work well or at all , locks are stripped windows are hard to roll up and handles aren’t secured well. In a perfect world I could drop the doors off and not leave the whole rig… I’m not in a hurry … any suggestions ? I am in Valencia, CA birth of LA but willing to drive 2-3 hours if needed to drop them off …

Mark was kind to offer to look at the doors, but I didn’t want to Do the work myself… so back to square one. Funny when you can’t even find someone to pay to fix something! Haha

Last edited:
It’s actually kind of a fun project and not very complicated. I’m guessing you don’t have the time/space to just do it yourself? Check out the 40channel on YouTube. Jason has a full episode on it. Weatherstrip on the other hand is a major PIA.

I have tried to fix , replace and it is not going well … just need to pay a professional to do it right
It’s actually kind of a fun project and not very complicated. I’m guessing you don’t have the time/space to just do it yourself? Check out the 40channel on YouTube. Jason has a full episode on it. Weatherstrip on the other hand is a major PIA

I would imagine that any competant body shop could do that.
If you want a guru, go to Burbank

Regulators are easy to replace, and there isn't much to replacing the lock sets.

Sorry I never returned your voicemail. I will be doing this exact job on a pair of ‘77 doors for another customer starting on Monday, but I’m really not looking forward to it. If it weren’t for the fact that I already did an entire powertrain refresh for him, I would have declined the job. They will definitely be the last set of doors I overhaul.

GLWS

Thanks Mark - is what it is, I appreciate the answer. If it is a pain for you, it couldn’t be easy for me … Ive tackled some stuff myself … but this one might just be end of this project !

Regulators are easy to replace, and there isn't much to replacing the lock sets.
Thanks for your reply, it’s more than the regulators - input a new interior handle / lock set for SOR on and I couldn’t get it to work … the panel door mechanism locked up … it’s just a mess or a mess for me - rather just have it done right by a pro

Since you posted in the tech forum, it is appropriate to offer this observation: when I last did door assemblies (three sets) about ten years ago, I noted that the aftermarket felt channels were too thick/ putting too much resistance on the glass, and I informed the customer that I would not proceed with the reassembly unless we used factory weatherstripping.

Work like this will be hard to source out to a body shop as it’s a small job and if they don’t have prior experience with FJ40 doors the won’t know what they are getting into.

My advice is to look for a smaller shop that isn’t doing high volume insurance work. I have found most of my shops by driving around and looking for someone who has older cars in their shop and just talking with them - if the won’t do it they may know someone. Best to be driving in the FJ40 do they can look at it — good luck.

Since you posted in the tech forum, it is appropriate to offer this observation: when I last did door assemblies (three sets) about ten years ago, I noted that the aftermarket felt channels were too thick/ putting too much resistance on the glass, and I informed the customer that I would not proceed with the reassembly unless we used factory weatherstripping.
Thanks Mark - I can live with the current state of the windows - it is really the whole lock / handle / opening system that needs redone

Tell you what. Since my customer brought me the doors with several bags/boxes of parts, and I can’t even remember which pieces are right and left, why don’t you bring yours by with the panels removed and in exchange for refreshing my memory, I ll take a look and see if there’s some simple solution for you 😉
Leave me another voicemail and I’ll call you back on Monday. I’m going to be off my planned schedule another day or two dismantling the powertrain I just got from @bmoonhajjar yesterday.

Tell you what. Since my customer brought me the doors with several bags/boxes of parts, and I can’t even remember which pieces are right and left, why don’t you bring yours by with the panels removed and in exchange for refreshing my memory, I ll take a look and see if there’s some simple solution for you 😉
Leave me another voicemail and I’ll call you back on Monday. I’m going to be off my planned schedule another day or two dismantling the powertrain I just got from @bmoonhajjar yesterday.
Thanks Mark -I will leave a voicemail. Thanks Marty

Marty

I am far enough along in the rebuild of the doors that I have come to appreciate your frustration. I finished the locking assemblies on one door this morning. EVERY SINGLE PART HAD TO BE MODIFIED! It took several disassemblies and a lot of measuring to figure out each step of the tweaking. But I am very satisfied with the outcome.😊

If you still need help in April, give me a jingle. I am much busier than I planned to be until then.

Last edited:
Marty

I am far enough along in the rebuild of the doors that I have here to appreciate your frustration. I finished the locking assemblies on one door this morning. EVERY SINGLE PART HAD TO BE MODIFIED! It took several disassemblies and a lot of measuring to figure out each step of the tweaking. But I am very satisfied with the outcome.😊

If you still need help in April, give me a jingle. I am much busier than I planned to be until then.
Thanks Mark - I’ll see where I am at when April comes along… unlike everyone in this forum, I don’t want to do this work at all. I have done plenty myself and just want to pay someone to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom