Wobble at front of harmonic balancer. 92 fj80 3fe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, I have searched the threads here but I don't see a clear answer for what I'm searching for. The harmonic Balancer on my engine has a slight wobble on the outermost pulley (the one that drives the power steering pump). The pulleys behind this one don't appear from visual inspection to have any play or wobble to them. Could this just be an under torqued nut or is the rubber inside the balancer causing this? Mostly asking so I can buy a new balancer if needed before I replace the water pump and belts.

Could be an idler pully? Improper tension on the belt? Aftermarket pully? something else is not aligned properly? Are you getting any unusual sounds, humming, or vibrations at certain RPM's?

I had a bad main pully on my 96. My harmonic balancer looked okay till I pulled it off and saw the back side when I was fixing oil leaks. This is at 235000 miles. After replacing the pully the engine did feel more smooth. I didn't notice any belt problems though.

Could be an idler pully? Improper tension on the belt? Aftermarket pully? something else is not aligned properly? Are you getting any unusual sounds, humming, or vibrations at certain RPM's?

I had a bad main pully on my 96. My harmonic balancer looked okay till I pulled it off and saw the back side when I was fixing oil leaks. This is at 235000 miles. After replacing the pully the engine did feel more smooth. I didn't notice any belt problems though.
Today was the first time I heard any noise. At about 50 mph there was a strange chirping noise then I'd slow and it went away. This morning was pretty cold and it hasn't done it again. But when inspecting I noticed the wobble. The belt seems fine as far as tension goes. The engine has 168000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom