Are the 80's too old (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all Im new to posting, but have but have been reading posts for some time researching the best mods I'd like to do on an 80 series. Ive owned one previously but left it pretty stock. I am on the verge of purchasing a lowish km vx sahara 80 series petrol with the intent of doing a diesel swap and tourer setup. However reading the obsolete parts thread i am worried about age. For not a lot more money I can get a 105 series petrol , obviously a lower trim grade but still reasonable. I like the 80 more but I want to use this car for the next 10 years with the kids. Has anyone found this an issue?

You should allow for the costs of replacing all seals, gaskets, hoses, bushes etc. on a J80, so the cost may not be that much less than a newer 105 if you account for that.

IME for many of the NLA parts specialty before have come in to fill the gap and/or they can be found on eBay and part outs etc. so I wouldn’t let that stop you.

I’m restoring/building a 97 which needed a lot of attention, not really mechanically but aesthetically and I knew it did but I also knew everything could be fixed/replaced. What can’t be fixed really is rust and this one had a pretty much rust free underbody so I took it on knowing i was going to be scouring for little things to get her right. So far I haven’t had any issues with part availability save for the headlight dust covers which even that is something I could figure out when I get around to it. There is a very robust parts market for these trucks I think because they became desirable and wanted very quickly into their post production life. Very few were junked and trashed without having every single usable part pulled from them, that and lots of vendors have popped up with solutions to any discontinued parts. So there may not be a TRD supercharger available anymore but you’re not going to have an issue finding most things and while parts are starting to fetch a premium it’s not something outlandish and I think the international market for them will keep it that way. I had an LX I sold in 2018 i owned it since 2000 and oddly enough I’ve had an easier time finding solutions and getting parts now 4 years later….

There is also the aspect that I don’t think you’re throwing the money away on this truck, they are becoming more and more desirable especially with the soft all clones of each other drivable gadgets that modern cars have become. The 80 has a very nice blend of modernity and analog, it finished its life right at the end before cars became rolling computers. The idea of owning a modern car out of warranty has become almost unfeasible, which is another reason I chose to get into another 80. I’m not wheeling her she’s going to be my daily driver so a 100 series actually would have made a lot more sense for a lot of reasons, the reason why I went with an 80 instead is because the 100 series have so much more that can go wrong with them….

Last edited:
It's true parts are becoming scarce however, I would look through the forum and work out what fails the most. then consider looking through the classifieds and when you see something that you know is becoming scarce and if the price is right then buy and store it safely, if electronic then place it in a bag with some of those damp absorption packs. Make sure it is clearly labelled, you don't need buy stuff like axles or differentials, but working ECU's for locking differentials and of course the locks themselves. Other stuff will be available forever, many of these vehicles are being broken because of rust. Also remember those parts if you get rid of the 80 for some reason will only appreciate in value, so you are not wasting money.

Regards

Dave

It's true parts are becoming scarce however, I would look through the forum and work out what fails the most. then consider looking through the classifieds and when you see something that you know is becoming scarce and if the price is right then buy and store it safely, if electronic then place it in a bag with some of those damp absorption packs. Make sure it is clearly labelled, you don't need buy stuff like axles or differentials, but working ECU's for locking differentials and of course the locks themselves. Other stuff will be available forever, many of these vehicles are being broken because of rust. Also remember those parts if you get rid of the 80 for some reason will only appreciate in value, so you are not wasting money.

Regards

Dave

Here’s the thing though…what would you hoard?

A full drivetrain? A steering rack? A rear hatch? What common failure parts don’t have aftermarket or interchangeable solutions for them at this point? Would someone have known to hoard headlight dust covers??

Parts vehicles :).

Seriously. I fell into a deal with a $700 parts truck that was my exact year and model. It has saved me $5-6K in parts over the last several years. I store it out behind the shop with a tarp over it. When I need to go shopping for something discontinued, it’s right there.

If you have space, it’s well worth the investment.

A full drivetrain? A steering rack? A rear hatch? What common failure parts don’t have aftermarket or interchangeable solutions for them at this point? Would someone have known to hoard headlight dust covers??
Well I would not store a steering rack....they don't have one.

Gearboxes are expensive as are transfer boxes but they are not that difficult to repair so I think the small electronic units are better to keep spares of. MAF's are a prime example, and when you buy them plug them in and check they work, OE are mega expensive and copies are rubbish and leave more codes for you to track down. Steering boxes are repairable. Parts are becoming so expensive it is becoming ridiculous, the best price I have found for a secondhand speedometer (just the speedo not the entire binnacle is circa £160.00! It is obscure parts like that which will be hard to find, and when they are you will find you are having a new arse ripped for you!

Regards

Dave.

Its a truck made by Toyota and sold across the globe. If you want one: Buy it, enjoy it, and know that if something breaks there will almost guaranteed be some solution to keep her going. This isn't some 60s ferrari they made 20 of.
Your right but at what price?

Regards

Dave

Tuff question with many answers. Buy one and suck it up. Get a 105 and enjoy something we can not obtain easily in the United States. No clear answer. Me, I have an 80 and a 100 series. I guess there’s my answer. Get both. As usual, I am no help to a person looking for moderation or common sense.

Your right but at what price?

Regards

Dave
Very fair point, and I think it's impossible to put a value on what that surcharge may be in the future. How many more cars will be junked or totalled and thus available for parts? How many more parts will cease production? How many manufacturers, large and small, will begin reproducing some discontinued parts (or alternatives) as those parts fail in continued greater number as the vehicles age? Its definitely a consideration, but I often think there is a substantial trade off present, given how rarely my 80 needs a part vs how often even much newer cars fail and need $$$ invested.

But perhaps (and I say this in the spirit of humor given your id pic) I have a terrible soft spot for British cars (which i do) and am so used to ridiculous repairs that my 80 feels practically self regenerating by comparison.

Tuff question with many answers. Buy one and suck it up. Get a 105 and enjoy something we can not obtain easily in the United States. No clear answer. Me, I have an 80 and a 100 series. I guess there’s my answer. Get both. As usual, I am no help to a person looking for moderation or common sense.
I'm sure you'll be the first to import a 105 next year

Cheaper to do a solid front axle swap.

Well... given the OP has Australia in his 'Location'.... 105's are nearly as common as 80's. In diesel, the 80 will have the the 1HZ or the FTE engines to choose from, the 105 only got the 1HZ diesel choice.

So, the choice somewhat depends on what engine he's chasing and whether a petrol engine is even a consideration for him - other than the 'swap' he mentioned.

OP: why are you planning a diesel swap, have one ready to go in? Why buy a petrol and swap in a diesel? Bit more info on your decision process and thoughts. Especially how much free time do you have versus something that you can actually drive straight off the bat. Often times one's dream project evolves into a nightmare and eventually becomes some else's dream project...

Rust (other than beach cruisers) isn't the issue it is here (east coast rust belt stuff).

Tons of parts vehicles and wreckers with bits for 80's/105's. Neither are 'collectible' in oz :). Also, lots of aftermarket stuff for cruisers (and patrols) in oz at most 'corner shops'...

cheers,
george.

Last edited:
YES and YES

t802.jpg
t801.jpg

But perhaps (and I say this in the spirit of humor given your id pic) I have a terrible soft spot for British cars (which i do) and am so used to ridiculous repairs that my 80 feels practically self regenerating by comparison.
The problem with UK cars from that era is they are rusty before they leave the factory! I was lucky and bought mine when I moved to Spain so it had been shipped to a relatively dry climate and was in pretty good nick, just some welding over the rear arches. But the mechanical quality control was also terrible, as you can see by my id the car is in the middle of a competition, and did very well. I did the prep myself (mechanic) but the thing still left some puddle of 'X' liquid whenever it was parked. :frown:

Regards

Dave

Hi all Im new to posting, but have but have been reading posts for some time researching the best mods I'd like to do on an 80 series. Ive owned one previously but left it pretty stock. I am on the verge of purchasing a lowish km vx sahara 80 series petrol with the intent of doing a diesel swap and tourer setup. However reading the obsolete parts thread i am worried about age. For not a lot more money I can get a 105 series petrol , obviously a lower trim grade but still reasonable. I like the 80 more but I want to use this car for the next 10 years with the kids. Has anyone found this an issue?

I'd get the 105.

You're already thinking of buying a vehicle to engine swap and you want to use it with kids which I'm sure your free time is somewhat limited.

Working on vehicles suck, enjoy the time spent adventuring with your kids.

Thankyou all for the input. Regarding why i am looking at petrol 80's, its to do with condition. Most diesels in perth WA have seen alot of miles offroad and have been modified, damaged, have more rust issues, harness issues but still attract a premium due to being diesel. I can pick up a vx sahara petrol with no dents, no rust, no modifications, pretty much stock standard for 4k usd, an equivalent in diesel is 18kusd . I have the time and facilities to do the work to turn it diesel and will end up with a straighter car for less total cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom